Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Motorola DROID RAZR HD & RAZR MAXX HD (XT926) Release Thread

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I picked up one yesterday and kept unlimited data. I couldn't be happier so glad I did it.
    I love my Droid X

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Device(s)
    Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone thats ordered from Amazon actually received the phone yet? They say on backorder for 1 to 2 weeks.

Device(s)
    SGS3
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FAUguy View Post
    great review as always- thanks!

was hoping for a better report from the camera department, but not surprised

Device(s)
    Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall Dog View Post
    Has anyone thats ordered from Amazon actually received the phone yet? They say on backorder for 1 to 2 weeks.
    Nevermind, getting it today, only took about a week.

Feedback Score
    So I exchanged my week-old Droid RAZR MAXX for a Droid RAZR HD today. The senior person at my VAR store tried to talk me out of it, saying the processor wasn't that much faster (!?), the screen didn't have that many more pixels (!!??) and the HD did not come with a micro HDMI port, which I promptly showed to her once she put one in my hands.

They only had one in the store, so my wife kept her RAZR MAXX and I took the HD. I think it will work well for me for all the reasons I cited, and the MAXX will work better for her, because of one primary difference: the RAZR MAXX has four hard buttons (including a menu button) instead of three in the HD. It's maybe unfair after seven days vs seven hours, but the Droid RAZR (as opposed to the HD) just seems a little more intuitive to this guy.

HD battery life seems fine - shorter, but not that much different from the RAZR MAXX. I was really surprised at how different the UIs were. I think once I get used to the HD, I'll like it at least as well as the old Droid RAZR. The HD seems to have slightly less bloatware.

Two other differences I noticed:

1) The HDs ships without a microSD card. Hmmmm. The Droid RAZR included a 16 GB card.
    2) The HD charger wall wart is bigger - rectangular, with fixed prongs, and supports a single USB cable. The Droid RAZR charger is about 50% smaller - more cubelike, with folding prongs, and supports two USB cables.

Neither is a dealbreaker for me, but is evidence of trading off features to stay at a price point.

My advice - I wanted the higher resolution and snappier performance of the HD, and I got that. But you aren't giving up very much, and are getting some other things, in the Droid RAZR MAXX at the same price. If you're considering these phones, I'd look at both thoroughly. I would not be surprised by anyone who said the older RAZR /MAXX was more functional FOR HIM/HER than the HD versions.

Device(s)
    Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by reframmellator View Post
    So I exchanged my week-old Droid RAZR MAXX for a Droid RAZR HD today. The senior person at my VAR store tried to talk me out of it, saying the processor wasn't that much faster (!?), the screen didn't have that many more pixels (!!??) and the HD did not come with a micro HDMI port, which I promptly showed to her once she put one in my hands.

They only had one in the store, so my wife kept her RAZR MAXX and I took the HD. I think it will work well for me for all the reasons I cited, and the MAXX will work better for her, because of one primary difference: the RAZR MAXX has four hard buttons (including a menu button) instead of three in the HD. It's maybe unfair after seven days vs seven hours, but the Droid RAZR (as opposed to the HD) just seems a little more intuitive to this guy.

HD battery life seems fine - shorter, but not that much different from the RAZR MAXX. I was really surprised at how different the UIs were. I think once I get used to the HD, I'll like it at least as well as the old Droid RAZR. The HD seems to have slightly less bloatware.

Two other differences I noticed:

1) The HDs ships without a microSD card. Hmmmm. The Droid RAZR included a 16 GB card.
    2) The HD charger wall wart is bigger - rectangular, with fixed prongs, and supports a single USB cable. The Droid RAZR charger is about 50% smaller - more cubelike, with folding prongs, and supports two USB cables.

Neither is a dealbreaker for me, but is evidence of trading off features to stay at a price point.

My advice - I wanted the higher resolution and snappier performance of the HD, and I got that. But you aren't giving up very much, and are getting some other things, in the Droid RAZR MAXX at the same price. If you're considering these phones, I'd look at both thoroughly. I would not be surprised by anyone who said the older RAZR /MAXX was more functional FOR HIM/HER than the HD versions.
    I agree with everything you've said, especially since you can buy a RAZR Maxx on Amazon for $49.00 if you're due for an upgrade.

I like the Maxx HD, but I seriously considered just buying the Maxx and I do miss the 4-Hard Buttons with a Menu button like on my old Droid X. I'm getting used to the Maxx HD though.

One thing I don't get though, is the Soft button for seeing recent things? I would have much preferred a menu button.

Feedback Score
    One thing I don't get though, is the Soft button for seeing recent things? I would have much preferred a menu button.
    Boy, you got that right. That's the biggest reason I say the Droid RAZR is more intuitive.

However, after a heavy day of usage, including over 2.5 hours on the phone, most on speaker, I can say the battery life in the HD is plenty. Translation - I probably won't miss the extra battery life in the HD. I'm definitely sold. Snappy and easy to use.

Our daughter decided to join our share plan and she's a Mac person so she's opted for the iPhone 5. I'm looking
    forward to that comparison.

If you don't need a best in class camera, I strongly recommend you consider the Droid MAXX (a steal for $49 on Amazon) or the Droid HD.

Device(s)
    Razr Maxx HD
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Just FYI, there is a software update available, says something about a Google security patch?

Feedback Score
    Has anyone ordered one of the Developer editions? Supposedly those are available now also.

Feedback Score
    I would consider the Dev edition on offer if the battery were upgradable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Gle55nn View Post
    I would consider the Dev edition on offer if the battery were upgradable.
    Yeah. I'm guessing it is, but I'm sorta wondering if the better both option launch of the VZW molested versions will mean those parts are harder to find than they were with the OG RAZR's where Moto goofed up and launched only one version initially effectively forcing many into desire to do the upgrades and creating a demand for the parts that may not end up existing this time around. The dev one could create a bit of demand though I guess. I just find it really silly that is the only version getting offered for the dev version.

Still have yet to hear if the Dev version will get nonVZW approved upgrades. That could be a second selling point as it could get new Android version pushes earlier if they do that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pmagent2013 View Post
    I picked up one yesterday and kept unlimited data. I couldn't be happier so glad I did it.
    I'm assuming you had to pay full price to keep your unlimited data?

Device(s)
    Droid X
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nope! Upgraded another line on my account to mass HD, then switched it over to my account and then reactivated a basic phone on the other line. So I kept unlimited data and my overall bill didn't change.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Small software update is now out. Just some Google security patch. If you are rooted, use VooDoo OTA Rootkeeper and it will back up your current root, so you can restore it after the software update is installed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast