Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Verizon Android Tethering on Straight Talk?

Feedback Score

Verizon Android Tethering on Straight Talk?

I am looking at Straight Talk considering getting a Verizon Android (Proclaim, Showcase, or Optimus). I have two questions about tethering

1) Which of these phones can I get wifi tethering to work (for another device to connect via wifi and use Verizon data)? How would I proceed? Do I need to root?

2) Will Straight Talk tolerate me tethering if I keep my total data usage (tethering + nontethering) under 2GB per month, 100 MB on any one day? What about if most usage is tethering, but still within these guidelines?

Thanks

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    they will bend you over with out bothering with wearing lipstick and put it to ya. chances are high they will kill account and lose number. biggest law to break

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The Proclaim and Optimus Zip are the only StraightTalk Android Verizon phones. No one knows for sure how much you can get away with on StraightTalk. I didn't get a call about my data usage until I hit 24GB one month.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    you musta had a lot of spare time. were you tethering to use those 24?

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    you musta had a lot of spare time. were you tethering to use those 24?
    Yes. StraightTalk can't tell you're tethering though. They can only tell the amount of data you're transferring.

I'm on the T-Mobile side, which is apparently a lot more lenient is terms of data usage.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    people wonder why st put it to everyone lol

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Actually they can tell if you are tethering or not, there is a diagnostic code on your phone that they can dial into and see where the data is going if it is going through wifi or just the phone. Verizon has busted people for this very issue. But from what I understand Straight Talk does not take kindly to tethering, a buddy of mine was cut off after using only 6GB on his for tethering, and my old ST phone when I had it was cut off after two movies on Netflix, BTW I wasn't tethering either, so I guess even though they have a way of telling, they just cut people off if they go over so much bandwidth, I also think it relates to your location too and how much bandwidth is being pulled in that area.
    ~T-Lar Seth~
    Gamer's Guild© Computer Service Technician

CJST Board Certified Law Enforcement

Feedback Score
    This conversation seems to be wandering into bandwidth hogging and T-Mobile SIMs. I am asking about tethering only on the Verizon side and within the overall unwritten usage limit recommended around here and stated in my first post.

Also, Verizon has an agreement with FCC to allow tethering. I would think they would not be allowed to complain to ST about it either.

Final question, has ST been known to brick CDMA phones by banning their ESN / MEID for excessive or improper usage?

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlarseth View Post
    Actually they can tell if you are tethering or not, there is a diagnostic code on your phone that they can dial into and see where the data is going if it is going through wifi or just the phone. Verizon has busted people for this very issue. But from what I understand Straight Talk does not take kindly to tethering, a buddy of mine was cut off after using only 6GB on his for tethering, and my old ST phone when I had it was cut off after two movies on Netflix, BTW I wasn't tethering either, so I guess even though they have a way of telling, they just cut people off if they go over so much bandwidth, I also think it relates to your location too and how much bandwidth is being pulled in that area.
    The "diagnostic code" you speak of is called NAI (network access identifier). Most carriers put them on their branded phones. If you're on the BYOD SIM card plan on an unbranded or Big 4 carrier phone, the NAI won't dial-out to where StraightTalk is.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlarseth View Post
    the thing is people dont understand there are things running in the background on a pc that uses data that a smartphone wont

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    the thing is people dont understand there are things running in the background on a pc that uses data that a smartphone wont
    Why would this matter, as long as total use is reasonable. I would want to tether iPad and laptop.

Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Keep in mind that since it's a branded phone, I'm sure tethering isn't an option. You'll have to install a third party app, most of the good ones require root. The ones that don't usually require a client app on the PC.

On AT&T they have very little sense of humor about data usage, but they seem to be more lenient on the other carriers. What the limits are on the VZW side I don't know.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    Why would this matter, as long as total use is reasonable. I would want to tether iPad and laptop.
    the tos specificly bans any kind of teathering.this also might be the reason so many with jailbroke iphones and teather me installed are getting throttled.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tmotk View Post
    This conversation seems to be wandering into bandwidth hogging and T-Mobile SIMs. I am asking about tethering only on the Verizon side and within the overall unwritten usage limit recommended around here and stated in my first post.

Also, Verizon has an agreement with FCC to allow tethering. I would think they would not be allowed to complain to ST about it either.

Final question, has ST been known to brick CDMA phones by banning their ESN / MEID for excessive or improper usage?
    The agreement, which only applies to telephones using the Block C of 700 MHz for LTE, permits you to use your own tethering application. It does not permit you to tether without following the carrier's rules concerning the purchase of features.
    Earl F. Parrish

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    The Proclaim and Optimus Zip are the only StraightTalk Android Verizon phones.
    Straight Talk Verizon Androids include the Samsung Galaxy S Showcase, Samsung Galaxy Proclaim, LG Optimus Zip, and Huawei Ascend Y.
    Quote Originally Posted by gate115 View Post
    My wife uses Foxfi on her Proclaim for very light duties. She averages with and without Foxfi about 30-40 mbs/day.

Works flawlessly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast