Thread: Using a Straight Talk phone from a different zip code (Android)

Feedback Score

Using a Straight Talk phone from a different zip code (Android)

In my area (Devils Lake, ND 58301) we use the Verizon network. I'm not really a fan of any of the phones in my price range for this area (Proclaim, Optimus Zip, etc.) and am wondering what the consequences would be of registering my Straight Talk phone from my fathers in Minot, ND 58703 which uses the ATT network. Would I get reception in Devils Lake? I'm currently using an ATT Go Phone here in Devils Lake and I get great reception, I'm not sure if Straight Talk limits this reception or anything like that. So, does anyone have any idea if this would work? I would like to save some money and go with the LG Optimus Logic

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Feedback Score
    if AT&T works good in Devils lake then straight talk will too. you will get the same coverage as postpaid AT&T
    which includes roaming.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    might want to check website to see if gsm phones are avail for your zip

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    might want to check website to see if gsm phones are avail for your zip
    The carrier in my area is Verizon (CDMA) but GSM phones do work, I'm currently using an ATT GoPhone. That was my initial question, if Straight Talk sells only Verizon phones in my area, but ATT does work, will an ATT Straight Talk phone that is registered in an ATT Straight Talk area work in my area?

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    The usual answer is yes. As the previous poster said, ST has AT&T's postpaid coverage IN MOST CASES. In fact, American Movil has roaming agreements with many regional carriers, and roam onto them better than AT&T. But this isn't true for EVERY regional carrier. The question you'll have to research is who owns the towers/service for the towers you are using on gophone. If it's AT&T, then it should work. You should be able to us a BYOD sim and use any AT&T phone. Will it allow you to purchase an AT&T sim from the site with your zip code?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    The usual answer is yes. As the previous poster said, ST has AT&T's postpaid coverage IN MOST CASES. In fact, American Movil has roaming agreements with many regional carriers, and roam onto them better than AT&T. But this isn't true for EVERY regional carrier. The question you'll have to research is who owns the towers/service for the towers you are using on gophone. If it's AT&T, then it should work. You should be able to us a BYOD sim and use any AT&T phone. Will it allow you to purchase an AT&T sim from the site with your zip code?
    Yes I can buy an ATT compatible sim card on the Straight Talk site using my (Devils Lake, ND) zip code. So is this saying that despite the fact that they by default only sell Verizon straight talk phones in Devils Lake that they will allow me to use ATT if that is what I have? Just want to make sure before I blow $100 on a phone.

Thanks,
    Jeff.

Phone
    Nexus 4 16GB
    Carrier
    Net10 (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    It should work in Devils Lake. In ND (along with SD, some of MN, and some other areas,) AT&T got Alltel's old network and switched it over to AT&T's technology. That means that AT&T will work in that area, along with Straight Talk's variety, as it's AT&T's own network. I'm in another one of those areas, and my smartphone works wonderfully on Straight Talk's AT&T SIM.
    Last edited by jebr; 10-22-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    Internet at work and with a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk with AT&T.

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Nice town name lol...but yeah you can as long as att works around you ...

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    straight talk does not rush to update their website. just look at the android map if you want to see incorrect. this question has been asked before. the answer was yes then, also.