Thread: Mike no longer working in area of Whatcom county

Feedback Score

Mike no longer working in area of Whatcom county

As of last weekend Mike service no longer works in an area of Whatcom County, Washington on the way to Mt. Baker. The message on the phone display says "Restricted Service". Nextel and Boost phones still function so the tower is still there. Anyone know what's up? TIA

Device(s)
    Samsung i547c
    Carrier(s)
    Telus/Fido
    Feedback Score
    I don't think the shutdown of the Sprint iDEN system is under way yet, however the Telus Marketing VP's. comment on this was a bit vague, as it indicates that Telus will adopt an LTE- based VOIP system to replace PTT ("Enhanced PTT") that AT&T will be pricing at $30/mo in the US.
    see:
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/05/30/te...-announcement/
    and-
    http://www.techradar.com/news/networ...utdown-1098062

Feedback Score
    I'm told it was fixed yesterday. I'll find out tomorrow.

Device(s)
    Samsung i547c
    Carrier(s)
    Telus/Fido
    Feedback Score
    It looks like I was wrong in my above post, as there are reports that Sprint has already taken out 9,600 towers as part of the shutdown of their iDEN system - which will go completely black as of June 30th 2013. [...8 months from now]. So I guess that would nat'rally mean that although Telus intends to keep Mike going into the indefinite future, there won't be any reception south of the border.
    Bell's HSPA+ based PTT does have US PTT roaming with billing based on data, but again that has no bearing on iden service.
    So it wll be interesting to see if they fix it when they have hired a contractor to decommission the entire network of towers and apparently (at least in some cases) rehabilitate the sites.
    I've been rattling on in my thread about the Telus Galaxy Rugby LTE, which will have enhanced (LTE-based) PTT, but not much in the way of detail is available- hopefully it will be the same as the AT&T version.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mike dying ... no new tower ... no new phone... and no roaming in the usa coming soon...
    Bellus CDMA network dying too... all new tower are only hspa ! i have see many improvement in the last month in qc in many zone with the HSPA network !

Feedback Score
    Mike service has been restored in the part of Whatcom County, Washington, I was talking about. I've been told it will remain functioning until June 2013. The tower "thinning", was unrelated to this issue.