Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can a phone with a bad IMEI be used on straight talk?

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    Motorola Triumph
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score

Can a phone with a bad IMEI be used on straight talk?

I am looking to switch from Virgin and may go to straight talk so I am phone shopping.(looking at a Galaxy s3 ATT) I have seen a few that have a bad IMEI and wanted to know I they are a good choice to use?

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    i recommend you keep shopping. its possible you could work hard and get lucky and it work for a while. but then you always own a paper weight. i think cloning is against federal law now they are keeping up with imei

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    Motorola Triumph
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    ok thanks. Its soo tempting with the price of some of the top phones being so cheap to go that route.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I can tell you a bad IMEI will not work on Straight Talk (you'll get a message saying that your device has been blocked... and it screws up your sim card until you call into straight talk and have them reset your account.)
    I buy broken/used iPhones (4 & 4S) on any carrier! PM me info about your phone and your asking price and I'll get back to you!

Phones
    Nexus 4 (ST) *Me*
    Galaxy S3 (ST) *Wifey*
    iPhone 4 (ST) *Daughter*
    Carriers
    Straight Talk Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bpaulson View Post
    I can tell you a bad IMEI will not work on Straight Talk (you'll get a message saying that your device has been blocked... and it screws up your sim card until you call into straight talk and have them reset your account.)
    I have a bad IMEI phone on Straight Talk as we speak and havent had a problem...

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tooltimenova View Post
    I am looking to switch from Virgin and may go to straight talk so I am phone shopping.(looking at a Galaxy s3 ATT) I have seen a few that have a bad IMEI and wanted to know I they are a good choice to use?
    Just so I can sleep at night knowing I'll be able to make a phone call the following day, I would not take a chance and buy a phone with bad IMEI or ESN. But its your choice. Search the word "SCAM" and you'll find out how many people have a very expensive paper weight.

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tooltimenova View Post
    Everyone is right. Only way around is to use on a carrier opposite of the one that it came from.

Ie to use the bad imei AT&T galaxy s3 you can unlock it and use any tmobile mvno no problem. But try to use it on AT&T and you'll be blocked. Might be worth If it was cheap enough..

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score
    You could buy a tmobile galaxy s3 bad imei and unlock it and use straight talk on AT&T. It has 3G AT&T bands.

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephisto Zap View Post
    You could buy a tmobile galaxy s3 bad imei and unlock it and use straight talk on AT&T. It has 3G AT&T bands.
    Is it my understanding that four major carriers has started database for reported stolen, lost or insurance claim that these IMEI or ESN will be blacklisted across carriers. Only reason bad IMEI or ESN happens is when those instances occur. I could be wrong, if I am, very sorry for misleading.

Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    Is it my understanding that four major carriers has started database for reported stolen, lost or insurance claim that these IMEI or ESN will be blacklisted across carriers. Only reason bad IMEI or ESN happens is when those instances occur. I could be wrong, if I am, very sorry for misleading.
    From what I have read the databases won't be merged until next year. The phone from another carrier should work for a few months at least. Also from someone I know that it happened to, it doesn't get blocked right away. If it's in the blacklist database correctly, it will work fine for a while until they do a database sweep against that tower (I think).

Carrier
    Straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Bad IMEI (CDMA) phones work fine on Straight Talk using the CDMA Geavy SIM trick. If they will in the future, well it's all just speculation. But right now they work fine.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph
    Motorola Triumph
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. I plan to go the morally correct way I guess and find a clean phone. I don't want to spend alot of money and only have it work for a short time or not at all.

Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I love how everyone on HowardForums talks about morals and what "may" happen if you do something morally wrong to these huge telecom companies.

Bottom line: using a phone with a bad IMEI works in most circumstances.

Phones
    Motorola Triumph, LG Optimus V
    Motorola Triumph
    LG Optimus V
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

I love how everyone on HowardForums talks about morals and what "may" happen if you do something morally wrong to these huge telecom companies.

I can't one-up your post from Tapatalk, so this is me saying thank you for such a spot-on post. Something is approved for discussion here, somebody asks the first question regarding it, and is immediately harassed by a half dozen people claiming it's still wrong. Morals aside, it's a pain in the tush.

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

It's like everyone is a die hard believer of Karma on here lol.

Regardless, buying any used phone has a risk. I'd personally buy one I know is clean just so I don't have a headache down the line. If you risk it, be sure to report your experience.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast