Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Page Plus vs. Straight Talk

Feedback Score

Page Plus vs. Straight Talk

I recently put a second phone on PPC to use as a backup to my Verizon postpaid. My plan was to try PPC for a little bit and if I didn't find any major problems to convert my main phone to PPC. (I use an LG dumb phone with many texts, a little voice, and a few photo texts.) I currently pay ~$100 for the Verizon service. I figured the PPC 55 would be a good fit for me and save me about half what I pay now. A friend of mine uses Straight Talk from Walmart and pays even less than $55, ~$49.00 including sales tax for 30 days unlimited talk, text, and data. She doesn't travel much but recently traveled to Florida and back to central Illinois and had no problem with coverage and no roaming charges. It's my understanding that Straight Talk uses the Verizon network so I figure the coverage on ST is at least as good as PPC. Any reason that I should use PPC instead of just going to any Walmart and getting ST? Btw, I very seldom ever have to deal with customer service so that's a non-issue for now. My friend has had a couple of occasions to deal with ST customer service and says she hasn't had a problem with them.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    For a dumb phone, PPC's UTnT $39.95/mo plan should work just fine for you. Or, if by "many texts", you mean less than 3,000 in and out per month, PPC's TnT1200 $29.95/mo plan would be even better.

If you might ever want a smart phone, do you know if ST allows you to use any old Vzw 3G smart phone like PPC does?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have been doing more than 3,000 texts lately. I don't know if that will continue but I just like the idea of "unlimited". I got burned with overage charges on another carrier some years back and don't want it to happen again. I know that's dumb reasoning but us old fools do dumb things.

I'm not sure but it does look like straight talk does require their own phones. I'm just checking out their web site now. But, it looks as if their phones are reasonably priced, especially for somebody like me who tends to keep a phone for a long time.

Feedback Score
    I just read on the ST website that I can bring my own phone but it looks like it has to be a GSM phone. I think that means that ST is using AT&T network and not Verizon. Am I correct in that assumption? If so, it's a deal-breaker--I can't get AT&T reception in my house.

Phone
    Nexus 5 (LG-D820), Galaxy Nexus GT-i9250
    Carriers
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gvocks View Post
    I just read on the ST website that I can bring my own phone but it looks like it has to be a GSM phone. I think that means that ST is using AT&T network and not Verizon. Am I correct in that assumption? If so, it's a deal-breaker--I can't get AT&T reception in my house.
    Straight Talk uses all four major networks, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint. They are MNVO for all four.

They sell Straight Talk branded phones for 3 of those carriers: AT&, Verizon, Sprint. Some are simple feature phones, some are smartphones (androids). Using one of Straight Talk's phones, to get a particular network you have to buy a phone for made for that network. For instance, there's 4 Straight Talk phones that run on Verizon. (Two of them are the Straight Talk branded Galaxy Proclaim or the Galaxy Showcase. I don't remember the others.) If you want Verizon on Straight Talk you have to make sure it's one of their phones that run on Verizon.

Straight Talk also offers BYOP for two carriers, AT&T and T-Mobile. These are GSM networks, so yeah for that you need a SIM card phone. The beauty of that plan is you can bring ANY SIM card phone that will run on AT&T or T-Mobile, even a Galaxy S3 or an iPhone 5 --the newer kick butt type of phones not usually carried or allowed on MNVOs.

BYOP is not available for Straight Talk "Verizon". You have to buy one of the Straight Talk branded phones that run on the Verizon network.

Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I think straight talk uses all 4 major carriers (vz, att, sprint, tmo) depending on which phone you buy from them or which sim you buy from them. Page plus has the huge advantage of allowing a variety of 3G smartphones.

I don't know how to set it up, but if you text a lot from home, I think you could use google voice over wifi if you get a "smarter" phone, and use your 3000 text allowance while you're out and make it work with the $29.95 Page plus plan. The plan comes with 250mb data (starting after 10/31/12) which is PLENTY to send a ton of MMS monthly. If you hit the 3000 limit there will be no overages, you just wont be able to text unless you have a cash balance on your account. None of the problems of postpaid plans. No sales tax or extra fees on Page plus either.
    Droid X / Droid 2 Global / Incredible
    PPC - TNT1200

Phone
    Droid Maxx & LG Clout
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Straight Talk will not roam. Page Plus will but at extra charge.

Feedback Score
    Ok. Here's a good example of my stupidity: When you say ST won't roam do you mean that there'll be places with no ST coverage but PPC will have coverage that will cost extra? Or do you mean that ST will have coverage at no extra cost where PPC will charge extra?

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Any reason that I should use PPC instead of just going to any Walmart and getting ST? Btw, I very seldom ever have to deal with customer service so that's a non-issue for now. My friend has had a couple of occasions to deal with ST customer service and says she hasn't had a problem with them.
    Go with Page Plus.

ST has absolutely terrible CS with hidden caps on everything it seems. Page Plus has US based (Ohio) customer support that is very efficient and knowledgeable.

Other than LTE phones, Page Plus allows any Verizon device and allegedly the iPhone soon. You can get refills with discounts and without sales tax on many sites.

It sounds to me also like you can get away with the TNT 1200 plan for 29.99 a month.
    1200 minutes, 3000 text and 250MB of data.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sfukr View Post
    Straight Talk will not roam. Page Plus will but at extra charge.
    It's gsm carriers will very similar coverage to postpaid providers at no extra cost.

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score
    Ok. Here's a good example of my stupidity: When you say ST won't roam do you mean that there'll be places with no ST coverage but PPC will have coverage that will cost extra? Or do you mean that ST will have coverage at no extra cost where PPC will charge extra?
    St is good only in the us. There so big they don't need roaming. There network is called "home" basically it's a combination of AT&T tmobile and other small gsm carriers. You'll never roam but you'll have the same or better service than postpaid AT&T/tmobile accounts.

Page plus has roaming in some other countries ie Canada. If "roaming" I believe texting just comes out of balance but mins cost money depending where you are.

I've personally used both and never had a problem with either one.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have been doing more than 3,000 texts lately. I don't know if that will continue but I just like the idea of "unlimited". I got burned with overage charges on another carrier some years back and don't want it to happen again. I know that's dumb reasoning but us old fools do dumb things.

I'm not sure but it does look like straight talk does require their own phones. I'm just checking out their web site now. But, it looks as if their phones are reasonably priced, especially for somebody like me who tends to keep a phone for a long time.
    Then it sounds like the PPC UTnT for $39.95/mo is the way to go and save some money. And as a bonus, you will have the option to use any Vzw phone if you ever change your mid and decide to get a smart phone.

Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Carriers
    PagePlus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It isn't stupid. It means that the Vzw coverage on ST includes ONLY the Vzw owned network, with no option to roam on Vzw's extended network using towers owned by others. The Vzw coverage on PPC also includes the Vzw owned network, but with the option to roam on Vzw's extended network with an extra roaming charge.

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score
    The fundamental question with roaming, extended coverage etc should be "do I need it"?

Verizons native network is so large I don't think it matters to 98% of Page Plus users. If Page Plus doesn't have coverage in some areas you will never go, who cares?

Phones
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 5 (Verizon)
    iPhone 4S (T-Mo)
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Agreed, Verizon native coverage is substantial. If there's any shred of doubt for a particular location, activate a phone on Page and spend $10. Then you can do some coverage assessments for your specific location(s) without committing to anything. If you are satisfied, get a monthly plan. Or dump it and be out (almost) nothing. Page does still charge for roaming (you know right away because of the double-dial) so if you are concerned do the test first. In my travels I've only ran in to a few small areas (very rural) where Verizon divested its assets and the network is 3rd party ("Extended Network" to Verizon and charged at roaming rates on Page Plus.) So it is highly unlikely but there are some spots.

Straight Talk's (GSM) coverage is very good with AT&T + T-Mobile + Regional carriers. However as stated previously the few Verizon handsets which Straight Talk sells run ONLY on the Verizon native network. They do not allow access on towers which would be "Extended Network" for Verizon customers normally.

The timeless question of which is "better" really depends on the first rule of cellular: location, location, location.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast