Thread: Galaxy S2 APN settings grayed out.

Feedback Score

Galaxy S2 APN settings grayed out.

Galaxy S2 Running 2.3, and got the ST SIM, and the phone is off ebay, (AT&T) new, battery, stickers, the works, this thing was new. (I hope) any way, the voice works, then went to set up the APN and there is two entrys there, att phone and another one (cant remember) go into those and they are grayed out, cant edit, cant find a place to make a new APN either, read someware on the net, that it could be bad firmware, installed KIES on my laptop, and kies says my ver is 2.3 and the latest ver is 2.3 ?!? I was following samsungs website instructions and there was to be a pop up to have me install ICS, but I went and re-installed 2.3 ... no help

any ideas? when I have the t-moble sim in there I used to unlock the phone (I know I didnt need to do that) just one APN, and its editable, but still dont see anyplace to add/delete APNs is this a sim problem? and when I put my old rzr v3 att sim in there, it act justs like the straight talk sim ... grayed out, and not changeable

Chuck
    Anchorage Alaska

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbale View Post
    Galaxy S2 Running 2.3, and got the ST SIM, and the phone is off ebay, (AT&T) new, battery, stickers, the works, this thing was new. (I hope) any way, the voice works, then went to set up the APN and there is two entrys there, att phone and another one (cant remember) go into those and they are grayed out, cant edit, cant find a place to make a new APN either, read someware on the net, that it could be bad firmware, installed KIES on my laptop, and kies says my ver is 2.3 and the latest ver is 2.3 ?!? I was following samsungs website instructions and there was to be a pop up to have me install ICS, but I went and re-installed 2.3 ... no help

any ideas? when I have the t-moble sim in there I used to unlock the phone (I know I didnt need to do that) just one APN, and its editable, but still dont see anyplace to add/delete APNs is this a sim problem? and when I put my old rzr v3 att sim in there, it act justs like the straight talk sim ... grayed out, and not changeable

Chuck
    Anchorage Alaska
    You gotta make a new APN, Menu bottom left hand corner,settings, Wireless and netwotk, scroll down to Mobile networks, make sure Use packet data is checked, Access Point Names, Menu bottom left hand corner, + New APN, Enter the data from card ST sent you, after that, make sure you save. Make the New APN your default, wait a couple of minutes, you should see a 4G icon on top of Notification Bar. Should work, if not, reboot.

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    OH, forgot, you might have to delete the other APN, you can leave PTA alone.

Feedback Score
    Ah the menu Button ... dang, I am an idiot!

THANK YOU!!!!

Now I want to figure out why KIES wont tell me to update to ICS, it says 2.3 is the most current version.

I heard about oden but this link says there will be a pop up telling me to update to 4.1.1

(hey, did I just hijack my own thread! lol)

Thanks again for your help, you made my day!!

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ah the menu Button ... dang, I am an idiot!

THANK YOU!!!!

Now I want to figure out why KIES wont tell me to update to ICS, it says 2.3 is the most current version.

I heard about oden but this link says there will be a pop up telling me to update to 4.1.1

(hey, did I just hijack my own thread! lol)

Thanks again for your help, you made my day!!
    Download the latest version of KIES from samsung or you could go to http://www.sammobile.com and download the latest firmware, extract the file, get odin 1.85, put your device to download mode, run odin as administrator, click PDA, point to files that you extracted and start. Be inform that with GB, you have 784MB of ram, with ICS, you'll end up with 768MB. The Galaxy Note is worse, GB has 732MB, ICS will have 720MB, just so you know. Don't forget to do a FULL FACTORY DATA RESET after upgrade, I had lots of force closing, data reset gave me normal operating.
    I upgraded both to ICS, went back to GB.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    something you need to ask over in the android threads

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    something you need to ask over in the android threads
    Sorry cooter55, there is an Android thread at the top of HOFO, I should have pointed that to the OP. I just wanted to try and help. Next time I'll look first.

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    I am new. Trying to figure how this board works. Is cooter55 a forum boss? Guess I will need to keep reading these threads. Hopefully I won't make the bosses angry if I help out in wrong place.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FHead View Post
    I am new. Trying to figure how this board works. Is cooter55 a forum boss? Guess I will need to keep reading these threads. Hopefully I won't make the bosses angry if I help out in wrong place.
    pointing him in the right direction there f head

Carrier
    straight talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    pointing him in the right direction there f head
    Good inference with the f head. Your very skilled In communicating. Its nice your so helpful. I am going to like talking here about straight talk. So many colorful characters

Feedback Score
    EZ guys, lets not let this get autta hand! lol

So I am too stupid to know about the menu button, so help a dummy out, which section here can I do some reading on this?

this link: .samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00047325&fm_seq =51324

says I can upgrade via kies, but after scaning my phone, kies says 2.3 is as high as my SG2S goes (updated kies too)

but you were saying that ICS is more a problem than its worth?

thanks

Feedback Score
    the kies program and sammoble says 2.3.6 is the latest, but the above samsung link says 4.1.1 (ICS) is the latest, I have a SGH-i777 unlocked from att

maybe its a good idea to stay with GB until I learn the phone better, but I love to tweek stuff!!!

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FHead View Post
    No, cooter isn't a forum boss. He just comes in to get a rile out of people. He enjoys pissing people off, and occasionally gives actual helpful advice as well.

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    Sorry cooter55, there is an Android thread at the top of HOFO, I should have pointed that to the OP. I just wanted to try and help. Next time I'll look first.
    no wasn't aimed at you,just we posted at same time i saw you original post and learned a little bit lol

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    the kies program and sammoble says 2.3.6 is the latest, but the above samsung link says 4.1.1 (ICS) is the latest, I have a SGH-i777 unlocked from att

maybe its a good idea to stay with GB until I learn the phone better, but I love to tweek stuff!!!
    This should help you, looks like you start the update process without the phone plugged in and then when you do plug it in, it must be in download mode. Maybe that was what you were missing.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3#post27707563