Thread: Can I Boost my Tracfone?

Feedback Score

Can I Boost my Tracfone?

I am a 68 years old gadgets challenged Newbee here. We have a house in Sebring Fl. We did not want a phone company or land line. So we bought a Tracfone LG800G with triple minutes. We wanted a phone in every room so we bought a Panasonic KX-TG 7745S which seems to work fine.
    How do I test this system to see if it will work well enough for us? I get 3 bars. Some of the calls seem ok. Some are a little crackly. One of 2 drops. But the folks on the other end are also on cell phones with marginal service I think.
    Question: how do I test this system on my end?
    Quest: can I and how do I boost the bars?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Feedback Score
    I know the way to boost your signals, but it's not 100% percent working, but it's very cheap and risk free to try.
    You can use the Aluminum foil around your base antenna and also put your base device in a place that more near to all of the locations that you use your tracefone.

Feedback Score
    No base devise.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried the phone in a different location in the house? I've found I have places in my house where the reception is better than others.

RedStickHam

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hryderiii View Post
    How do I test this system to see if it will work well enough for us? I get 3 bars. Some of the calls seem ok. Some are a little crackly. One of 2 drops. But the folks on the other end are also on cell phones with marginal service I think.
    Question: how do I test this system on my end?
    Can you link the cell to any of the handsets or just the base station?
    Either way, the cell needs to reside where it gets the best signal, and be linked there.

Carrying the cell around the house probably won't work. Even if it hops between handsets, the signal issue will remain.

Other option is a cellular booster, but a good one isn't cheap. The big antenna for it would be outside where you get a good signal, and the other in the house where it provides a good signal throughout.

Feedback Score
    Hi ham, yes same in my house too.

Hi dog, my link-to-cell Panasonic KX-TG 7745S has to be at least 2' and not more than 10' from the cell phone. I built a special shelf to park our cell phones when in the house. We are getting 3 bars. No drops lately.

Seems like some of the reception problems are on the other end when the other parties are on cell phones. When the other parties are on land lines we do not seem to have problems...yet...knock wood.

I am researching antennas and boosters and may opt to go that way.

Thanking you all for your help.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Hi dog, my link-to-cell Panasonic KX-TG 7745S has to be at least 2' and not more than 10' from the cell phone. I built a special shelf to park our cell phones when in the house. We are getting 3 bars. No drops lately.
    But is that from the base unit only or can it be from any of the handsets?

Say the base is in a common area where you get poor cell signal. Can the cell be near a handset in another room where you have a better signal?

Seems like some of the reception problems are on the other end when the other parties are on cell phones. When the other parties are on land lines we do not seem to have problems...yet...knock wood.
    Expensive to really test (lots of minutes used), but you could make calls to known numbers that aren't cells. Like use the phone at a local hotel.

Perhaps set up a Google voice number you call and leave messages on. Then you can play them back to see how the call sounds. You can do that over the phone and compare to the file on a computer to check the receive quality.

I am researching antennas and boosters and may opt to go that way.
    I've been looking for 2 years now (weak signal at home) but haven't found a solution at a price I like.
    Wilson makes some great products, but they are budget busters. The cheaper options (like zBoost) don't have the indoor range I need. My house isn't that big, but still it's over 50ft through a few walls to get full coverage.

Feedback Score
    Hi , the cell phone has to be between 2' and 10' from the base unit. The other 4 handsets are thruout the house. The quality is quite good. I'll try the google voice idea.

Yep growing up we had one land line and my 3 sisters had it tied up.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    This can become an expensive project very quickly if the Tracfone does not work well anywhere in the house.

Do you have high speed internet via DSL or cable? If so, look into buying a Nettalk VOIP adapter. They sell for around $50 at Walmart. You'll get a local phone number upon activation and all local / long distance calls are free for the first year... then service is $30 per year thereafter. You can plug the adapter into any phone jack in the house and have service on every jack throughout the house just like traditional phone service.

Many people think that Nettalk is the best replacement out there for traditional phone service. It sure sounds like a better and cheaper alternative that what you're trying to accomplish.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Joplin T-Mobile View Post
    Do you have high speed internet via DSL or cable? If so, look into buying a Nettalk VOIP adapter.
    Or MagicJack, or Obi, or lots of other VoIP options.

Let answer the man's questions and not send him off to your favorite VoIP service.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Let answer the man's questions and not send him off to your favorite VoIP service.
    No problem. Just hate to see this gentleman spend hundreds of bucks on equipment, antennas, and boosters in getting a Tracfone to substitute for a landline.

Feedback Score
    We currently have Comcast cable for TV and internet. So far so good...knock wood.

All of the phone equipment mentioned above is still within the return policy time limit. I'll be doing more testing the next couple of days. The 3 bars maybe all I need especially since I park the phone in one spot and not walk around the house with it. With the Panasonic KX-TG 7745S handsets you can walk around without problems like dropping calls or noise.

The wife found the Tracfone LG800G with triple minutes for life so of course she is favoring her find. When mama is happy...everyone is happy.

The voip technology is interesting stuff. I do want to learn more about it.

Thanks again.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    We currently have Comcast cable for TV and internet. So far so good...knock wood.
    I dropped my "phone" and went VoIP a few years ago.
    Several good option out there at different price points.
    It does have it's drawbacks too, but it's generally goo for day-to-day stuff.

As mentioned, Getting better cell reception can get expensive, and TF is pretty expensive for that kind of use too.

I get 0-4 bars in and around the house, use a VoIP service, and am still considering booster/repeater. It's not really pressing and I don't want to spend hundreds yet. Of course when I really need cell service, I'd have the same problem with a booster as with VoIP. But, a UPS can run a booster a lot longer than the extras for VoIP (assuming the internet connection would work. They probably would be down too).

Both technologies have they pros and cons. I favor using both in the most appropriate way for each.

Feedback Score
    Do you have separate phone numbers for the voip and the cell?

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Do you have separate phone numbers for the voip and the cell?
    Yes. But, I can use my Google Voice number and it rings both (after work. Rings the office instead of home when I'm at work)