Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice now allowing me to add Canadian forwarding numbers....

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    DAMN IT!

I think Google Voice has now closed the Android Google Voice loop hole of adding/verifying a Canadian Number.

A month or so ago, I was successfully able to add/verify my Ottawa 613 cell number on Google Voice by completing the add/verification process on the Android Google Voice app.

Today someone on another forum was trying to add/verify their number but kept getting an error on the verification step within the Android app. So I deleted my Cell from Google Voice in attempt to show them how I previously did it. And now I can no longer get by the verification step!

It looks I am ****ed for getting my cell number back on Google Voice.

Name:  Screenshot_2012-12-19-17-28-22.png
Views: 2385
Size:  86.7 KB

djino
    "**** **** ****!"

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    try adding & confirming a U.S. Cell # first (using an american friend) via the Desktop GV APP,

then try adding your canadian phone again via android app

Carriers
    Ting
    Feedback Score

Lump of coal from Larry Page...

Interesting. Until very recently, I was able to add Canadian numbers via the web app (and verify using the Android app, but not via the web). I removed all Canadian numbers from my Google Voice. Upon attempting to readd, I now again get the (previously very familiar): "Country of the forwarding phone does not match your country." I get the same even after (successfully) reverifying my Vermont number. The Android Google Voice app no longer will verify my Canadian number via the text message method, either.

It would appear as though Google took notice of our discovery of their Canadian ambitions...

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    try adding & confirming a U.S. Cell # first (using an american friend) via the Desktop GV APP,

then try adding your canadian phone again via android app
    Yeah, I already have a U.S. T-Mobile number added in addition to my Voxox U.S. Number (as well as my Canadian FreePhoneLine number added from years ago).

Tried it several times again today, and still no luck.

djino

Phone
    Motorola XT910
    Carriers
    Telus (since it was Clearnet)
    Feedback Score
    I'm here to report the same thing as previous couple of posts. A month ago I added my 613 number to GV by way of the Android app. I didn't have a chance to add my land line, nor my wife's number. I did ad my two T-Mobile numbers to it no problem by way of the app, but when I try and either add the land line or her cell I get the same thing as others.

Hoping that this gets opened back up but am glad I got my one phone line in...found out today that the number GV uses as an outbound dial-around is not long distance from my current location, so I can call the USA for free from my cell.
    Motorola RAZR XT910 #1: Voice & Data 65 - Fave. No., Bundle 15, Bonus 5 GB Data (total 6GB), Unl Ngts/Wknds 6PM $85/month+tax
    Motorola XT860: Voice & Data 65 - Fave. No., Bundle 15, Bonus 5 GB Data (total 6GB), Unl Ngts/Wknds $85/month+tax
    Motorola Milestone : T-Mobile Prepaid Gold Rewards

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Now when I try to add/verify my Wind Mobile 613 number, it just stays on the Verifying screen with no errors. The screenshot below was taken after it has been stuck on it for 5+ minute

Name:  Stuck on VerifyYourPhoneNumber.jpg
Views: 2266
Size:  36.6 KB

djino

Feedback Score
    I can also confirm trying to add my 514 number from the google voice app but get the same error message previous forum members got.

i hope to see it back very soon, the most i need it is for the outgoing calls as i have a 403 number for incoming

Carriers
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Hello:

I suggest that you use the 'Voice+ (Google callback)' app from the app store, if you have an android phone and a small data plan.

If you use the Google Talk app, you will save on long-distance charges but you will still use 'minutes' on your cell phone plan.

The same is true if you use the 'Voice+' app, unless you have 'free incoming minutes'

You can save a lot of money because the 'Voice+' app converts your out-going calls to incoming calls.

It's worth a look.

Rob.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Thompson View Post
    I suggest that you use the 'Voice+ (Google callback)' app from the app store, if you have an android phone and a small data plan.
    I doubt this is working for many Canadians...consider yourself lucky
    Somehow I managed to register my cell# during that 1 mth window while it was possible to do so from the cell itself, but I was never able to use Voice+.
    You can quickly see why if you try the same feature that Voice+ uses (calback) from Google Chat web page. If it works there, you're in luck - but if not, no point trying Voice+ which is just a handy shortcut.
    I keep hoping Google will sort this mess with Canadian numbers sooner rather than later...but then again, we had this hope for 2+ years now...
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most. [Mark Twain]
    ==========================
    Get 5GB (!!!) extra storage space when using this referral link for 15GB free space at copy.com:
    https://copy.com?r=fnQPXa for a total of 20GB. Puts Dropbox to shame

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    With many reports of increased latency during GV phone calls, my interest for it in Canada is fading.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Carrier
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cloneman View Post
    With many reports of increased latency during GV phone calls, my interest for it in Canada is fading.
    Where are you reading of these reports?

Djino

Phones
    Motorola i576 Mike
    Iphone4, Wind data stick
    Huawei 1250 Wind
    Carriers
    FIDO
    t-mobile, voodafone.de
    Feedback Score

Re: Google Voice now allowing me to add Canadian forwarding numbers....

I'm using Google voice app on my android on daily basis to call us and haven't noticed any latency.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using HowardForums

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djino View Post
    Where are you reading of these reports?

Djino
    I've only observed it once or twice myself (haven't tested in depth), but I remember reading about it.
    Here's one article http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2383262,00.asp

I've experienced similar issues using some LD calling card services. It's usually not catastrophic, but still somewhat unpleasant to deal with.

Carriers
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    You don't use a Canadian number - they no longer work with anything 'Google'.

You can use a free US number from Voxox.com or IpKall.org or elsewhere. You can also use a 'paid' US VoIP number from Anveo.com or VoIP.ms for about $1.00 per month + usage - this is usually cheaper than minutes on your cell plan.

http://googlevoiceforcanadians.com/2...r-google-talk/
    http://googlevoiceforcanadians.com/2...-your-android/
    http://googlevoiceforcanadians.com/2...hone-for-7-80/

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    GV is dialling a local access number again
    when people started announcing that GV was working with canadian area codes, i managed to get my 604 (vancouver) number validated. i couldn't initiate a call on the web page but i could call with the GV app on my galaxy nexus. when i make a call, i have it set to ask whether i want to make the call with or without GV. when i chose GV, it would call a local number and then connect me to the number i was dialling.
    then a little while back it started dialling a US number (atlanta) to connect the call. good thing i noticed because calls to the US aren't cheap on my plan.
    but today i decided to have another look to see if anything has changed and it has! now my phone dials a local (778) number to connect my call.
    i don't know what i did that changed it but i did select Canada as the default country in the gmail settings page. then i signed out of the GV app on my nexus and signed back in again. then it worked. yay!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast