Thread: How can you change your phone's IMEI?

Feedback Score

How can you change your phone's IMEI?

With the possibility of passing the IMEI blacklisting legislation, and some carriers already starting to do it (on their own), this spells bad news for all of us in prepaid, because the carriers will use this to kill off the used phone market.

Ways this can be abused:
    1) Carrier will choose to blacklist all IMEIs that are not sold from them or their authorized partners, so even unlocked phones won't work on their network.
    2) Carrier will choose to blacklist all IMEIs of contract customers that do not pay their bills, so people who purchase such used phones will get a brick.
    3) eBay sellers reporting their phone and stolen after selling them (for fraudulent insurance claims), so prepaid users like us will get a brick. They can always do this 2mth after the sale, after which eBay/Paypal protection ends. Although, I suppose one might be able to dispute it with the CC company...

So... back to the original question
    How does one change the phone's IMEI number? Can it be hacked/modified (like ESN)? IMEI transplants? IMEI cloning? Possible?

Feedback Score
    There are some ways that with the change of your phone firmware wou can also change your IMEI, but it's illegal and i don't suggest you to do that. it can be also risky for your phone if you replace the wrong or unsafe firmware.

Carriers
    Ultra (for the next year thanks to the $99 promo)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndroAsc View Post
    Ways this can be abused:
    1) Carrier will choose to blacklist all IMEIs that are not sold from them or their authorized partners, so even unlocked phones won't work on their network.
    Do carriers have access to IMEIs that do not belong to phones sold by them or their MVNOs?
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    Yes they can have access to any IMEI of the phones used their services and they will store it in their databases, so as long as you using their sim card in your phone the can access your IMEI whether you buy it from them or not.

Feedback Score
    We know that a phone with 4G will use up the battery charge faster than a 3G phone. A great way to increase your battery time between charges, if you have a 4G phone, is to simply force it into 3G only, and change it back to 4G if you are updating, watching on line videos, downloading large files, or doing "video phoning" on your Android handset. Although some people may need the 4G on at all times, I think most people could leave it off for most of the time. and increase the battery life between charges noticeably.