Thread: Problems charging Samsung S390G with USB cables

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Problems charging Samsung S390G with USB cables

I've seen a few postings about this online, but I didn't see a definitive solution. I'm hoping my additional details may help find a clearer solution.

In short, the S390S does not charge consistently with USB cable solutions. It does charge consistently with its AC powered charger.

Symptom:
    If the S390G is on (screen displaying or not), when I plug in a USB cable connected to a car charger, nothing happens. There's no little beep (like there is when I use the AC charger or a USB cable connected to my computer). The little battery icon at the top of the screen doesn't blink. As far as I can tell, the phone is not charging.

I've tried two chargers. One puts out about 1 amp, the other 2 amps (for an iPod). They both work great with my LG 800G phone.

However, if I turn the phone OFF and plug in the same USB cable and car charger, the big battery charging indicator displays on the screen and the charging indicators move. The phone charges fine.

The problem is that I want my phone ON in the car and to have the option to charge it when it's on. I can't do that with my current USB cables and chargers.

Questions
    1. If you own an S390G, can you validate that this happens on your phone? Is there really a difference charging when the phone is on compared to off?
    2. Does anyone know why this happens?
    3. Does anyone know how to fix this?

This is a classic case where I didn't want to buy double the charging equipment because I have two different phone brands. I bought the same universal charger for both my vehicles. Unfortunately, the Samsung phone doesn't work with them.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Somebody mentioned about Samsung being tricky, but I don't recall the details. It had something to do with charging via the computer usb cable. It had to be a certain specification of cable. Maybe that same kooky thing is happening here. Sort of defeats the idea of standardization that the manufacturers are adopting.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I use the cheap USB cable I bought to charge mine. Plugged into a computer, a wall adapter, even the car radio. All charge just fine.

The only issue I had was with the LG wall charger. It didn't appear to supply enough current, as it would charge a bit, then stop, then charge, etc.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    I use the cheap USB cable I bought to charge mine. Plugged into a computer, a wall adapter, even the car radio. All charge just fine.
    Hi ST Dog. I'm using "cheap" cables and chargers too. So, when your phone is on and you plug your phone into all the charging devices you use, do you hear your phone beep and get the blinking small battery icon on your S390G? Or, do you not get that result on some of the charging devices?

Like I mentioned, I don't get the beep and blinking battery icon (when the phone is on) when plugging in to either car chargers I use. However, when I turn the phone off, I get the big charging indicator on the screen and the phone does charge.

Do you get different results on whether your phone is on or off?

Also, since all your cables and chargers work fine, could you tell me what brand and model they are? No worries if you don't have them available.

Thanks in advance.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I get a beep and the battery indicator cycles, adding bars then dropping to the current level , showing it's charging.

As I recall, when powered off, it boots then shows a charge indicator. I don't turn it off often though.

The USB cable is a no name, $10 cable from a local computer store.
    Wall warts I've used include a Kindle adapter (don't have it handy for the specs, came with a Kindle Keyboard) and a Kyocera adapter (5V, 800mA).

As I said, not all have worked, specifically the charger that came with my LG500G wouldn't.

Feedback Score
    Hello. I just found this thread and it's perfect for my question. I bought a S390G phone from Samsung/Tracfone. I put the 32GB micro memory card in and set the phone to mass storage. I also formatted the memory card on the phone. When I check the memory on the card, it's right up there. I've got about 30 gb of memory there, but when I plug in my standard USB cable and try to transfer songs to my phone, nothing happens. The phone isn't even recognized. Could it be that I need to buy a Samsung usb cable for S390G phones? Everything else seems to work. It just won't connect with my computer. Please let me know if this is the case. Thanks so much.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    You sure you have a data cable? Have you used it with other devices?

When I plug mine in the phone asks mass storage or PCStudio. I select mass storage, then windows detects the new device and assigns a drive letter. I can then access it like any other drive.

In the other thread you said the phone shows 30.425M. So where do you see the 30GB v/s 30M?

My card was formatted when I got it, and I've always formatted cards with a PC not the phone.

Do you have a card reader you can test with? Make sure the card is working and properly formatted first, then use in the phone.

Feedback Score
    I did get a response from a Tracfone customer service rep. who told me that the 30.425 M is megabytes, not memory. So I am in a position of having to return the micro memory card to Amazon where I got it from. The frustrating part about this is that I just read a review for the Transcend microSDHC memory card, 32 gb, who said that she ordered one from Amazon, got it, and it was only 30 mb of memory. She returned it for another, and the same thing happened. I am hoping I do not have the same difficulty.

Feedback Score
    The market is flooded with counterfeit memory cards. You have to be extremely careful when ordering from Amazon, Ebay, etc. I would order from a known reputable merchant or buy from a real store. Sure, it will cost more. The real cards are expensive. There is no point in getting cheated again doing an exchange.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone (x2)
    Feedback Score
    I always buy my memory cards from Tiger Direct.

Sent from my Star Note using HowardForums
    -- Samsung Galaxy Express 4G LTE on the $60 GoPhone Plan
    -- Samsung Galaxy Express 4G LTE on the $45 GoPhone Plan

Feedback Score
    Back to the question about charging...

I'm trying this out using my desktop pc to charge my S390G. I'm using a USB cable that came with an iPad.

It charges with both the phone off and with the phone on.

With the phone off, I get the large battery icon on the screen and the charging going (like a wheel) around the battery.

With the phone on, I see the little battery icon on the top right blinking away.

I can turn it off and on and back again and it keeps on charging.... regardless.

p.s. Woops, please disregard. I just noticed the OP was dated 11/2012.
    Last edited by zanzen; 05-17-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    You have to be extremely careful when ordering from Amazon, Ebay, etc.
    Agree. Amazon in particular, since so many sellers are there. Most are cautious with ebay, but expect Amazon to be Amazon not the "market place" sellers. Some are good, some unknowns.

I would order from a known reputable merchant or buy from a real store. Sure, it will cost more.
    And make sure you are actually buying form the merchant not someone selling through the site. A lot of well know merchants are offering marketplace sales now.

I've bough all my cards at local stores (not the cheap electronics shops either).
    RadioShack often has good deals on SanDisk cards. I have several 4GB cards from there that were $5-10.

The 8GB card I have is from Target, ~$15 and included a USB reader (back to school sale).

You won't see the top capacity cards on sale much (32GB), but lower capacity cards are often on sale.