Thread: Caterpillar CAT B10 On T-Mobile

Feedback Score

Caterpillar CAT B10 On T-Mobile

I guess I haven't been paying close enough attention to all of the cell phone and carrier changes lately. I currently have T-Mobile on 5 lines. My phone is a Garminfone, but I have been considering "jumping ship" because of my data coverage in rural Minnesota. Anyway, I have been thinking about a Casio Gzone Commando on Verizon or Page Plus Cellular or a Caterpillar CAT B10 on AT&T. Much to my surprise tonight I found a CAT B10 on Ebay and it mentioned "2g for T Mobile only until the the beginning of 2013 then 3g will be available". So, bring me up to speed, is this referring to T-Mobile LTE?

Does anybody happen to know a timeline of how soon the various areas will get LTE? I guess if it doesn't happen until summer of 2013 that will allow me to keep waiting for the prices to go down on a CAT B10!

As far as service goes, I really like the reasonable price of T-Mobile, but the coverage can leave a lot to be desired when I get in rural areas. When it comes to devices, I still have my Garminfone, but I am starting to look around for a replacement eventually. I really like rugged, water-resistant phones and both of my sons have the Motorola Defy. I was considering the CAT B10, but I originally sort of blew it off thinking it will be for AT&T exclusively in the US. But, after looking at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpillar-...item1e72fa975d now I am wondering if I should stay with T-Mobile to see if the CAT B10 would work on T-Mobile. Does anybody happen to know how soon the T-Mobile LTE will happen in 2013? I live in ZIP code 55068 near the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Twin Cities Metropolitan area of Minnesota. If the CAT B10 will work on T-Mobile AND offer me 3G data speeds soon, I might just stick with T-Mobile.

If I get a CAT B10 and can add the TomTom Navigation app for Android, that might be almost as good as the Garminfone for off-network navigation. Also, if I have a GSM Smartphone that isn't carrier subsidy locked to a specific carrier, that would allow me to insert an AT&T SIM card if I did "jump ship"!
    Last edited by Jim1348; 11-09-2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Details

Feedback Score
    First of all the device doesn't have LTE, so that doesn't have anything to do with it. What the ebay ad is referring to is that T-Mobile is upgrading some of its network to use AT&T devices such as that one on 3G. However, there is no guarantee they will upgrade their whole network for that in 2013. Thus I wouldn't count on that.

If AT&T has good coverage in your area but you don't want to pay AT&T prices, consider Straight Talk $45 plan and get the SIM card for an AT&T compatible phone.

http://www.straighttalk.com/

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348
    Much to my surprise tonight I found a CAT B10 on Ebay and it mentioned "2g for T Mobile only until the the beginning of 2013 then 3g will be available". So, bring me up to speed, is this referring to T-Mobile LTE?

Does anybody happen to know a timeline of how soon the various areas will get LTE? I guess if it doesn't happen until summer of 2013 that will allow me to keep waiting for the prices to go down on a CAT B10!
    No, this is not a reference to LTE. The device specifications for the CAT B10 refer to 2G/EDGE or 3G/UMTS only. LTE is considered 4G, which this device does not support so it doesn't matter how long you wait because the CAT B10 will never support it.

As far as service goes, I really like the reasonable price of T-Mobile, but the coverage can leave a lot to be desired when I get in rural areas. When it comes to devices, I still have my Garminfone, but I am starting to look around for a replacement eventually. I really like rugged, water-resistant phones and both of my sons have the Motorola Defy. I was considering the CAT B10, but I originally sort of blew it off thinking it will be for AT&T exclusively in the US.
    At this point you have two choices 1.) Wait for T-Mobile to expand their coverage. 2.) Leave now and find a wireless carrier which will have the most coverage for where you live, work and play. IMO, purchasing a CAT B10 at any price will not benefit you in any way if T-Mobile cannot meet your needs even if it works for you in the city or suburbs.

Does anybody happen to know how soon the T-Mobile LTE will happen in 2013? I live in ZIP code 55068 near the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Twin Cities Metropolitan area of Minnesota. If the CAT B10 will work on T-Mobile AND offer me 3G data speeds soon, I might just stick with T-Mobile.
    LTE is 4G, like previously stated.
    T-Mobile is upgrading their network so the CAT B10 will be able to use 3G data.
    Check the link below for the reported sightings for your area.

http://www.airportal.de/

Feedback Score

Caterpillar CAT B10 On T-Mobile

Thank you very much for the replies. That is good to know.