Thread: Yes, Telus will be shutting off iDEN in a FEW years

Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score

Yes, Telus will be shutting off iDEN in a FEW years

Telus announced a couple years ago to Durham Regional Police (the police force east of Toronto who use them as a radio provider) that their contract will end in 2014 and will not be renewed. The region recently announced the contract of a multi-million dollar radio system buildout to Harris.

I'm curious if there are any other large companies (oil in Alberta?) that run on MiKE and if they've been told anything out there.

So yes, Telus will be shutting down MiKE, just not for a few more years. But I'd be surprised if they're building out infrastructure.

*beep beep*

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There are many cie on mike ... in qc ... rio tinto alcan in the Saguenay ... by exemple ... telus offer great solution before shutdown the network... for sure !

Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Well, for building-based there's a lot of new systems out there now that might even be cheaper than MiKE. MotoTRBO is quite scalable from simplex all the way to multi-site trunking.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    cheaper ... no sure ... telus offer new phone in many case... great plan just for only push to talk ... and don't need to repair the tower if there are a problem ...

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polkaroo View Post
    Well, for building-based there's a lot of new systems out there now that might even be cheaper than MiKE. MotoTRBO is quite scalable from simplex all the way to multi-site trunking.
    I doubt that is accurate that MotoTRBO can do simplex. The way that MotoTRBO sets up the sync, requires their base station (repeater) and thus simplex between user radios would not work.

I also personally, IMHO, think that MotoTRBO is not the best system for multi-site trunking although that is doable. Someone I know well was once involved with such a proposal, and engaged with engineers from Motorola Solutions, and this was part of that conclusion.

There are other systems out there, but I am not quite sure how you can compare as it is apples and oranges. Mike's infrastructure is build and paid for by Telus (Clearnet before), and thus end users are not paying for the infrastructure, but instead they pay for leasing the use of the network, spectrum, air time and other support services. A traditional radio network is usually owned and paid for by the organization who are the same group as the end users, but then except for government licences, are not paying for air time and service fees.

Would one thing be cheaper than the other? That is a big math question but I wouldn't say simply that "it is cheaper" categorically.

One more comment regarding MotoTRBO, since I just noticed that you are also the OP. MotoTRBO is not public safety or emergency service class system. It is indeed not a toy, but there are higher end systems more suitable for public safety and emergency service. Of course they could use it, but I would not personally say that would be the best practice approach.
    No longer on a leash by Fido

Carrier(s)
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by polkaroo View Post
    Telus announced a couple years ago to Durham Regional Police (the police force east of Toronto who use them as a radio provider) that their contract will end in 2014 and will not be renewed. The region recently announced the contract of a multi-million dollar radio system buildout to Harris.

I'm curious if there are any other large companies (oil in Alberta?) that run on MiKE and if they've been told anything out there.

So yes, Telus will be shutting down MiKE, just not for a few more years. But I'd be surprised if they're building out infrastructure.

*beep beep*

I was watching Border Security and apparantly CBSA at least while inside YVR building, they use the Mike handsets (but the show made them tape up the branding on the devices, haha). Although they don't necessarily use it while in other locations (showing Motorola 2-way radios instead).

Device(s)
    BlackBerry KeyONE, BlackBerry Classic
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry Bold 9900: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.391 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

^Good show!

Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortissimo View Post
    I doubt that is accurate that MotoTRBO can do simplex. The way that MotoTRBO sets up the sync, requires their base station (repeater) and thus simplex between user radios would not work.
    TRBO absolutely does simplex.