Thread: Why is my old straight talk phone (CDMA) showing a bad ESN?

Feedback Score

Why is my old straight talk phone (CDMA) showing a bad ESN?

I changed phones and carriers and now I want to give my old phone (Samsung sch r451C) to my son to activate on Page Plus.

The Samsung is CDMA / Verizon. I'm sure of it because with wrong numbers I always received a Verizon message.

My account is paid. I quit mid billing cycle so I should even have some time on the account.

Anyone know what the deal is with this? Do they have such a thing as a "dedicated" Straight Talk CDMA phone?

When I call Straight Talk, I'm stuck speaking to someone in the Philippines who is reading from a script.
    And that script says that it is a Straight Talk ONLY phone. This sounds WRONG to me.

Any advice is welcome.
    THANKS!

Feedback Score
    you can't use a straight talk phone on any other network only straight talk.

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    you can't use a straight talk phone on any other network only straight talk.
    Thats exactly right.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Samsung R355C (wife's)
    Motorola V600 (oversea travel)
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Well, I got a PM from a Sara of ST telling me BYOD only work with GSM ATT phones. I asked what if someone bring a Verizon iPhone and wanted to activate it, she replied saying No.

Feedback Score
    You can use any phone on the GSM side of ST. CDMA requires a phone they sell.

Carriers
    Gophone
    Feedback Score
    As stated above, but let me elaborate:
    The straight talk cdma phones are locked to tracfone(original owner of Straight Talk/Net 10 brands, that is in turn owned by America Movil) only. this is not the regular, your phone is "locked" to VZW/ATT/Sprint/TMo kind, that can be unlocked with a code, St has some software that makes the phone unusable on any other network outside ST. The nokias can be unlocked, they are gsm phones, but it is a pain to do it. The samsung cdma phone is a decent phone but just CANT be used outside of straight talk, is there a way around, this, probably, but not worth it, since it will likely be more hassle and cost than the phone is worth.
    The phones are locked to Tracfone, since they subsidize phones and dont want the phones bought enmasse and sold in another country by "smugglers".

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Well, I got a PM from a Sara of ST telling me BYOD only work with GSM ATT phones. I asked what if someone bring a Verizon iPhone and wanted to activate it, she replied saying No.
    The Verizon Iphone 5 comes unlock out of the box and can be used on ST GSM. There was a post somewhere on HOFU before that this can be done.

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    That is still the GSM side of the Verizon iPhone 5. The CDMA side can only be used on Verizon.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    op, you're not wrong. There was a point in time when PP accepted ST CDMA phones and activation was as simple as *228. It worked with a lg 101c (I think that's what it was called), but that was well over an year ago and PP might of updated their ESN database to reject ST esn's, like how it does with Verizon prepaid phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    LG Nexus 4 - T-Mobile (postpaid)
    Nokia Lumia 521 - T-Mobile (prepaid)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - Sprint (via Ting)
    ZTE Valet - Verizon (via Tracfone)
    Apple iPad 2 - WiFi only