Thread: Can't delete apps from Samsung Galaxy Proclaim

Feedback Score

Can't delete apps from Samsung Galaxy Proclaim

Hey all --

I've had this phone about 5 months now. I've added a few apps, and a couple weeks tried to delete 2 of them (Imo, and a ringtones app). Neither will delete. I go through the steps, and after I press the 'uninstall' button, it appears something has happened, but in reality, the apps are still on the phone, still usable. I looked elsewhere online but could only find other people with the same problem, but no solutions offered.

Tonight I tried to delete a 3rd app, and again, it won't delete. It's still there. What can I do? Thanks for your help.

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Are these apps that came preinstalled on the phone, or did you install them yourself? The reason I ask is that most of the time you cannot uninstall apps that came preinstalled on the phone, usually referred to here as bloatware or crapware. O most phones like that, you have to root the phone in order to uninstall those apps, but even then it may not actually free up more room to install more apps, as those preinstalled apps are usually on a different partition. I'm not familiar with the exact setup of the proclaim, but have faced this issue with phones in the past. That's one reason I bought the galaxy nexus last summer - nothing extra, just plain android.

Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post
    Are these apps that came preinstalled on the phone, or did you install them yourself? The reason I ask is that most of the time you cannot uninstall apps that came preinstalled on the phone, usually referred to here as bloatware or crapware. O most phones like that, you have to root the phone in order to uninstall those apps, but even then it may not actually free up more room to install more apps, as those preinstalled apps are usually on a different partition. I'm not familiar with the exact setup of the proclaim, but have faced this issue with phones in the past. That's one reason I bought the galaxy nexus last summer - nothing extra, just plain android.
    Just imagine all the people who stayed up for 12:00 am their time zone to find that the LG Nexus 4 is not available for sale. Lots of folks are upset, I check this AM my time zone, not available. Honolulu

Feedback Score
    Supposed Proclaim root instructions (have not tried....): http://androidnerds.net/2012/06/20/r...aim-sch-s270c/

Feedback Score
    To get rid of apps I've added, I use Uninstaller and haven't had a problem yet. Re bloatware, you can't uninstall it, at least not yet; Uninstaller won't show factory-installed apps. I've got a Proclaim that I rooted with the procedure Reggie listed (there are also at least two YouTube videos showing how).

Compared to the Verizon Incredible I used to have, there's actually a lot less bloat on the Proclaim. I could stand to get rid of the hidden Facebook app (not in the menu but it's there in the running apps list), as well as Google+ and Google+ Messenger, none of which have any use for me. Beyond that, I really want to run PDroid but can't, because it won't run on the rooted Proclaim without a non-deodexed ROM (I have no idea what that means, BTW).

Feedback Score
    These are apps I installed, not preinstalled ones. Nothing deletes. Everything is on my phone forever.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your tips. I might root this thing; I've been thinking about it.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck-TX View Post
    Thanks for your tips. I might root this thing; I've been thinking about it.
    It's quite easy with the number of "one-step root" apps that do much of the console work for you. One thing I'd ask yourself is,
    Are you willing to get your hands dirty (in the geeky android world)? - unrooting the phone for warranty purposes will require you knowing about "flashing" and other geeky stuff to get your hands dirty with.

If you do root it, grab Titanium Backup. It works like a charm and you can decide to reinstall apps such as a music app that came with the phone. One trick with rooting, don't let the modding world suck you in! It can be very enticing but very time consuming. Good luck.
    Motorola Defy MB525 § Quarx CM10 ROM § StraightTalk

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherFNG View Post
    I really want to run PDroid but can't, because it won't run on the rooted Proclaim without a non-deodexed ROM (I have no idea what that means, BTW).
    That should be a fairly simple solution but like I told Chuck, if you're willing to get dirty in the android world, there's solutions. Just google your questions to get started on deodexing. I read up on this when I considered PDroid, completely forgot what it meant but I recall there were easy solutions to it. Cheers.

Feedback Score
    What are some of these one-step root apps? Any you recommend?
    I'm not new to rooting. I had an HTC Evo 4G (Sprint) until earlier this year. I rooted it.
    But I never messed with the ROM. I only deleted a few of Sprint's more annoying apps (NASCAR), and added a couple others (tethering).
    I will do a backup before I change much of my phone. Good idea.