Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 150

Thread: Article: Reminder: Nexus 4 and 10 orders start tomorrow!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,064
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

    Reminder: Nexus 4 orders start tomorrow!


    Just wanted to remind you all that Nexus 4 orders start tomorrow on Google Play.

    The Nexus 4 will be available with 8GB or 16GB of non expandable storage. If you're thinking of a Nexus 4 do yourself a favour and get the 16GB version. 8GB doesn't cut it if you plan on using the camera, listening to music, storing videos and most importantly, downloading apps. Some games can weigh in at 100's of MB if not GB's.

    It will be unlocked and will cost either $299USD ($309CAN) for the 8GB or $349USD ($359CAN) for the 16GB.

    The Nexus 4 comes with a 4.7" 1280x768 IPS display, 2GB of RAM, a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 pro processor, 2100mAh battery and built-in wireless charging. While it lacks any LTE support it has penta-band HSPA so it will be compatible with all North American HSPA frequencies along with some international ones as well.

    Hardware-wise it's very similar to the LG Optimus G which I reviewed recently (great phone btw).

    One thing to keep in mind is that Google Play charges around $20 for shipping plus they screwed up the Nexus 7 launch badly. I had a friend who pre-ordered his Nexus 7 from Google Play like a good fanboy and he ended up getting his N7 DAYS after I got mine. I pre-ordered mine from Futureshop a while after he did. I was also able to get a N7 the day of the launch from the store. I also didn't pay for shipping.

    Personally I'm not sure if I'll order via Google Play and pay the extra 20 bucks or wait to see if a more reliable retailer sells it.

    The Nexus 10 Tab with an eye-popping 2560x1600 10" display and a state-of-the-art dual-core ARM Coretex A-15 processor will also be launching tomorrow in 16 and 32GB versions. It will be $409CAN for the 16GB and $509 for the 32GB. Take off $10 for USD pricing.

    Who's going to order one?

    New Infinity Blade character

    My iPhone 5 ringtone: Bah, Bah, Black Sheep.

    Our reviews:

    ZTE Open| Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Apple iPhone 5c | Apple iPhone 5s | LG G2 | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in pictures | Samsung Galaxy Mega | 2013 Nexus 7 | Cel-Fi Signal Booster | Huawei Ascend Y300 | Motorola Moto X | Blackberry Q5 | Motorola Moto X | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" | Belkin NetCam HD | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" | Belkin WeMo Switch | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" | Nexus 7 2012 vs 2013 | Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 | MugenPower GS4 Battery | Huawei Ascend Y210 | Huawei B890 Router | Nokia Lumia 520 | Blackberry Q10 | ZTE F160 | Samsung Galaxy S4 | HTC One | Sony Xperia ZL | Nokia Lumia 620 | Samsung ATIV-S | Blackberry Z10 | Samsung Galaxy Camera | Reflections on 2012 | HTC Windows Phone 8s | Samsung Rugby LTE | Huawei D Quad XL | Google Nexus 4 | Apple iPad Mini | HTC One X+ | HTC Windows Phone 8X | Nokia Lumia 920 | Sony Xperia T | Parrot Zik | LG Optimus G | Samsung Galaxy Note II | Motorola DEFY PRO | Motorola RAZR HD LTE | From iOS to Android | Apple iPhone 5 | HoFo at the CWTS coverage | Rogers LTE Rocket Hub ZTE MF28B | Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 launch | Motorola RAZR V | Motorola ATRIX HD LTE | Back to School Guide | HTC One V | Huawei Ascend P1 | Sony Xperia ION | Nokia Lumia 610 | Nexus 7 | LG Optimus L7 | HTC Titan II | Sony Xperia U | OtterBox Commuter for HTC One X | Samsung Galaxy S III | HTC One S | Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE | Nokia Lumia 900 | HTC One X | Apple iPad 3 | Sony Xperia S | Samsung Galaxy Note | Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 | Nokia Lumia 710 | Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0 | Casemate Pop for Galaxy Nexus | Otterbox Commuter for Galaxy Nexus | Otterbox Defender for Galaxy Nexus | Nokia Lumia 800 | Motorola Pro+ | Blackberry Curve 9360 | Asus Transformer Prime | Galaxy S Glide | Blackberry Bold 9790 | Nokia N9 | 2011 Gift Guide | HTC Amaze 4G | Acer ICONIA Tab A501 | LG Optimus LTE | Case Mate TANK | Samsung Galaxy S II LTE | Motorola RAZR | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    8,782
    Phone
    LG Nexus 4
    Carrier
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    0
    How many apps actually come in over 50MB? I imagine the majority fall under that. I see that the limit has been upped to 4GB, which would be quite crowded on the 8GB model, but I can't imagine a significant number making use of that.
    The word 'Pentaband' means '5 Bands', from the Greek word 'pente' meaning '5'. For a phone to be pentaband it has to support 5 bands. If the phone has AWS support, it doesn't automatically mean that it is pentaband.

    Don't send me PMs for questions that can be asked publicly.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    76
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One X (International)
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    Is there any talk about stores selling them unlocked and outright, such as bestbuy or futureshop? I am very tempted to order a Nexus 4 tomorrow at launch from the play store (opting for the 16 GB most likely), but if theres a store that will carry them in stock, I will likely wait for that instead.

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using HowardForums

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,064
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Has anyone ordered from the Play store and then cancelled? I'm thinking or ordering tomorrow and then cancelling if a pre-order at a better retailer comes up.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,064
    Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    How many apps actually come in over 50MB? I imagine the majority fall under that. I see that the limit has been upped to 4GB, which would be quite crowded on the 8GB model, but I can't imagine a significant number making use of that.
    Here are some of the apps I've purchased:

    Demolition Inc HD:273MB
    GTA III: 462MB
    The Dark Knight Rises: 1.83GB
    Devils's Attorney: 363MB
    Wild Blood: 0.93GB
    Broken Sword: 533MB

    I suppose if you don't game then space won't fill up as quickly but I still wouldn't recommend the 8GB to anyone who plans on using their phone for more than emailing, surfing the web, networking and making calls.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,312
    Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    There are no pre-orders. There are orders, or else back orders when they run out. It's first come first served, and shipping starts Nov. 13, the day of the launch.

    BTW, does anyone know where their warehouse is located? There is usually no point in getting expedited shipping if their warehouse is local. From where did the Nexus 7 ship? Was it even in Canada? (I got mine in-store at Best Buy.) Or are there multiple sources?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,073
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    Has anyone ordered from the Play store and then cancelled? I'm thinking or ordering tomorrow and then cancelling if a pre-order at a better retailer comes up.
    I ordered a Nexus 7 in early July and cancelled. The device arrived. Several weeks ago (in October), I got an acknowledgement for my cancellation, basically saying "well you've already had it for three months". I don't know if anything's changed in how that's handled though

    Quote Originally Posted by Eug View Post
    There are no pre-orders. There are orders, or else back orders when they run out. It's first come first served, and shipping starts Nov. 13, the day of the launch.

    BTW, does anyone know where their warehouse is located? There is usually no point in getting expedited shipping if their warehouse is local. From where did the Nexus 7 ship? Was it even in Canada? (I got mine in-store at Best Buy.) Or are there multiple sources?
    It's "sold by" Google's Toronto office, but I believe all the shipments come up from the US in one big package, at which point it's split up and they're transported to their final destinations. But now that there are three devices being sold, things could have changed.
    Coverage Mapper - A crowd sourced cellular signal strength mapping application
    Download from the Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...CoverageMapper.
    http://www.coveragemapper.com

    The opinions stated here are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,312
    Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
    It's "sold by" Google's Toronto office, but I believe all the shipments come up from the US in one big package, at which point it's split up and they're transported to their final destinations. But now that there are three devices being sold, things could have changed.
    However, they do the same thing now. I'd just get regular shipping then, as I'm in Toronto.


    $44.83: $56 Smart Plan (2012-14) 2 GB + unlimited voice Canada-wide and SMS/MMS, VVM Plus - $10-28 credit
    $34.00: $39 Smart Plan (2013-04) 400 MB + 450 anytime Canada-wide, unlim eve/we, SMS, MMS - $5 credit + 50 min bonus (total 500)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8,733
    Phones
    OnePlus One, Alcatel Idol x,Nexus 5 wife's, HTC One,N4,Lg 4x,SGS4 Daughter,Lg G Flex son's.
    OnePlus One, Alcatel Idol x,Nexus 5 wife's, HTC One,N4,Lg 4x,SGS4 Daughter,Lg G Flex son's.
    Carriers
    Virgin, HOT mobile Israel.
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have a Galaxy s3 and have used 1 GB of memory so far so for me 8GB is a whopping memory amount.
    Granted i don't play games and don't watch movies on my phone, so i am not your usual HOFO user i guess lol.
    I mainly use the phone for browsing,nns,sms,camera(no video though),and when i do listen to music its via Youtube anyways.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    2,312
    Phone
    iPhone 5s
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is only 5.x GB of storage left on an 8 GB unit, after the OS and included apps.

    I don't usually play games either, but do have a few for the airport lounge etc. and many of the free ones are still several hundred MB each on my Nexus 7. I do watch video as well, with single episodes of TV shows roughly about 1 GB each. If the 32 GB model were available at launch, I would have bought it, but 16 GB is OK.

    Mind you, I have less need for video on my phone. 16 GB for a phone is generally fine for me. For an Android tablet though, 32-64 GB would be preferred.

    Luckily, even if you don't want to root, there are ways around the space limitation. Nexus Media Importer with a microUSB cable works on a stock Android device to provide access to external media like flash drives.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    47
    Feedback Score
    0
    shall i get a nexus 4 8gb w/ nexus 7 or... nexus 4 16gb with no nexus?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    47
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Eug View Post
    There is only 5.x GB of storage left on an 8 GB unit, after the OS and included apps.

    I don't usually play games either, but do have a few for the airport lounge etc. and many of the free ones are still several hundred MB each on my Nexus 7. I do watch video as well, with single episodes of TV shows roughly about 1 GB each. If the 32 GB model were available at launch, I would have bought it, but 16 GB is OK.

    Mind you, I have less need for video on my phone. 16 GB for a phone is generally fine for me. For an Android tablet though, 32-64 GB would be preferred.

    Luckily, even if you don't want to root, there are ways around the space limitation. Nexus Media Importer with a microUSB cable works on a stock Android device to provide access to external media like flash drives.
    i like the idea... but i you travel alot its slightly impractical... but oh well. i would rather they compromise on storage than other thing..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    76
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One X (International)
    Carriers
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    0
    One more question....when is the phone going up for sale guys? Like, I know it's the 13th and all, and at midnight, but I heard that was Pacific time and not Eastern.. I don't want to be up until 3 am if I can help it, since I don't want to take the chance of it selling out.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    184
    Phones
    Currently using a Huawei Ascend Mate 2.
    Previously used a Samsung Galaxy S2 running CM 10.3
    Previously used a Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Pay As You Go $3/month plan w/optional data.
    Feedback Score
    0
    Two things:
    1. If you want more storage, try buying a Kingston 32GB Wi-Drive or Airstash that streams music, video, pictures via WiFi to your phone or tablet. I have the wi-drive and with the exception of heat, 4 hour battery life and long setup for security, its pretty good.

    2. I watched The Verge review on YouTube and the reviewer said he knocked the demo phone off the kitchen tablet and cracked the back glass. That concerns me a little bit.

    But even then, if I had the extra money, I would buy the LG Nexus 4 to go along with my Nexus 7. Its worth the money and no LTE doesn't matter to me since I don't use data, I use WiFi only. Maybe after Christmas...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,073
    Phone
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by graveboss View Post
    2. I watched The Verge review on YouTube and the reviewer said he knocked the demo phone off the kitchen tablet and cracked the back glass. That concerns me a little bit.
    You drop electronics, and bad things can happen. Such is life.

    I've dropped my Nexus 4 several times, and it's still in perfect condition, so as always, it depends on exactly how it hits the ground.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
  2. Re-Ordering Start Menu on I600
    By BassX in forum Windows Mobile Standard (Smartphone)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 05:01 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 11:41 PM
  4. New PRL's Start Tomorrow
    By The Roc in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-10-2002, 04:51 PM
  5. GSM starts TOMORROW!!! (in my town)
    By cjw21 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2002, 07:50 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks