Thread: Spot Mobile Data Packs available starting today 11/15/12

Phones
    Note3, Note2, iiPad3, Nexus 5, Moto X,
    evo3d,gnex,atrix,e71,v3xx,s56
    Carrier
    vzw, att, tmo, RingPlus, lyca, spot, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score

Spot Mobile Data Packs available starting today 11/15/12

Happened to notice that the data packs were available to purchase. Called CS to verify first! Added $15/250MB good for 30 days. Data activity icon came on within about 2 minutes.

Have to set the APN as indicated on the website (except the phone page is down!)
    APN: wholesale
    MMSC: http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc

Some notes:
    1. There is no way to see your data use or data expiration that I could find. I assume they will get that working at some point. The balance notifications on the website and IVR are unchanged with my added data pack.

2. Adding data comes from your credit card not your balance. Too bad you can't use your existing balance.

2. MMS is 10c to send and 10c to receive. I assume its also deducting from the data balance but have no way to verify

3. Calling Spot on the phone itself (7768) no longer deducts minutes (must have fixed it).

4. Voice mail has slightly different behavior these days. Calling VM from the Spot Mobile phone no longer deducts minutes. Yes I know that is weird. However, leaving voice mail deposits from other phones deducts double minutes. I am going to have VM disabled.

5. The balance seems to now be deducted in real time. Checking my balance on the website now shows updates within a few seconds of the activity (calls, texts). It used to take minutes to hours.

6. Customer service has answered all my calls within a few seconds of getting out of the IVR.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like there's still some wrinkles to be ironed out. Growing pains for a once simple mvno with only one rate and one plan. That's how you stay competitive I guess. It's going to be an interesting year for Spot. Tmobile is kicking prepaid/mvnos into high gear (Simple , Ultra, Ptel going tmo, and more...). Byod and lots of cheap 4g data. Hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    Happened to notice that the data packs were available to purchase. Called CS to verify first! Added $15/250MB good for 30 days. Data activity icon came on within about 2 minutes.

Have to set the APN as indicated on the website (except the phone page is down!)
    APN: wholesale
    MMSC: http://wholesale.mmsmvno.com/mms/wapenc

Some notes:
    1. There is no way to see your data use or data expiration that I could find. I assume they will get that working at some point. The balance notifications on the website and IVR are unchanged with my added data pack.

2. Adding data comes from your credit card not your balance. Too bad you can't use your existing balance.

2. MMS is 10c to send and 10c to receive. I assume its also deducting from the data balance but have no way to verify

3. Calling Spot on the phone itself (7768) no longer deducts minutes (must have fixed it).

4. Voice mail has slightly different behavior these days. Calling VM from the Spot Mobile phone no longer deducts minutes. Yes I know that is weird. However, leaving voice mail deposits from other phones deducts double minutes. I am going to have VM disabled.

5. The balance seems to now be deducted in real time. Checking my balance on the website now shows updates within a few seconds of the activity (calls, texts). It used to take minutes to hours.

6. Customer service has answered all my calls within a few seconds of getting out of the IVR.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkson View Post
    My voicemail only works when the incoming call is from a Spot phone, otherwise it goes to a busy signal. I called tech support, but if I had known about the double minute charge, I wouldn't have bothered.