Thread: PIN number for Tracfone??

Feedback Score

PIN number for Tracfone??

I'm trying to port from Tracfone to Google Voice, and Google keeps asking for a PIN number from my cell phone account I'm trying to port in order to do it. I don't have a clue what that PIN number is, or where I'm supposed to get it. Anyone know?

Carrier
    NET10/TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Leave it blank if GV will let you.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by millept View Post
    Leave it blank if GV will let you.
    Won't let me. That's why I ask.

Feedback Score
    I remember something about the pin being the phone number. Tracfone identifies you by your phone number. Something like that.

Feedback Score
    I am told by what appears to be the moderator at the Tracfone forum that the number to use for the PIN that Google Voice asks for is the phone serial number (the IMEI/MEID/ESN number). That makes some sense, because it's sure the only number Tracfone ever gave me! (I gave them my phone number I wanted to port to them.) No other numbers around and about. But "serial number" and "PIN number" are, in my mind, two completely different things. I think the fault is with Google Voice for not being more specific about what they want.

We'll see how that works.

Phones
    SAM T404g
    MOT W490,Nokia 6030
    SE TM506,LG VX5600
    Carrier
    T-MO/TRAC/VZ
    Feedback Score
    This has been discussed before on earlier threads. I cannot speak for certainty what google voice wants or the most current information. But saying this.....
    I've ported numbers from Trac and Net10 to TMOB, Verizon and Sprint. The last was done as recently as last Xmas. The account number is the serial number. The pin is the last four digits of your phone number. If this no longer works the information has been changed.

Phone
    iPhone 5, iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Worked for me in September. Gave Sprint the IMEI, name on account, and probably the last four digits of the number and was ported out right away.

Feedback Score
    OK, job done. Port completed from AT&T landline to Google Voice through Tracfone. The "PIN number" that GoogleVoice asks you for is INDEED the Tracfone serial number (IMEI/MEID/ESN number). Everything else is pretty easy and understandable, but this was somewhat unclear.

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lassiter View Post
    OK, job done. Port completed from AT&T landline to Google Voice through Tracfone. The "PIN number" that GoogleVoice asks you for is INDEED the Tracfone serial number (IMEI/MEID/ESN number). Everything else is pretty easy and understandable, but this was somewhat unclear.
    Did you have any problems with Google because the phone number was originally an AT&T landline number with a stop over at Tracfone? What was the current cost?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Did you have any problems with Google because the phone number was originally an AT&T landline number with a stop over at Tracfone? What was the current cost?
    No problems at all, once I figured out what the PIN number was that Google wanted. The port from the AT&T landline to Tracfone was seamless, taking a few hours after you go online with Tracfone, and that from Tracfone to Google took a few days once my online forms were filled out correctly. Never talked to a human being. Total cost was $11 for the Tracfone (Walmart), + $20 to Google for the port to them = $31. I'll probably sell the Tracfone, so I get a bit back.

Now, the Tracfone comes with 10 minutes of air time, which is plenty to do the port. So I didn't even need to buy time from them.

Note that Google Voice doesn't seem to have a "help" line, but the Google Voice Forum is moderated by a Google employee, Matt, who seems to be more than happy to look into problems that people might be having.

What attracts me to Google Voice is that (well, for now) it's free, and also the attractive options available. Transcribing voice mails and e-mailing those transcriptions to me is pretty cool, and very handy for me.