Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon iPhone 5 with data only possible with a tablet nano SIM?

Phone
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score

Verizon iPhone 5 with data only possible with a tablet nano SIM?

It's not that I can't afford an iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter), I just can't justify spending $90 a month for one.

So, i was wondering would it be possible get a Verizon nano sim card, and sign up for a $40 tablet plan which gets you 4GB of data month. Then drop the nano sim card into a Verizon iPhone 5, and just use talkatone to make VoIP calls.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I believe you can and if you did want to make calls, you could even do that, but would be charged a per minute rate, I believe 20 cents per minute?

Conversely, one could take the unlimited data feature from their smartphone plan, take that sim and put it into a non-smartphone device where unlimited data is otherwise never available, like tablets, wifi hotspots, etc. But you'll still have to keep paying for the voice package even though it couldn't be used.

Phone
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks nerdydesi!!!

Feedback Score

Verizon iPhone 5 with data only possible with a tablet nano sim?

You can, but you need a device ID starting with 99000 for VZW to activate that SIM with a data only plan. They can't just activate a SIM without a device, and an iPhone 5 won't qualify for data only. Does the iPad mini take a nano SIM? You'd have to activate that first, then pop that SIM into the phone.

Phone
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    By device ID do you mean the serial number of nano sim card? Yes, the iPad min does take nano sim cards.

Feedback Score

By device ID I mean the IMEI, which starts with 99000 for LTE devices. SIM ICCID numbers start with 89148000000. You need to have the iPad mini and the iPhone 5 to make this happen.

Phone
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Phone
    Moto G LTE
    Carrier
    Cricket Wireless
    Feedback Score
    So then what would happen if bought an iPad mini 4G LTE and signed up for a data only plan. Then removed the Nano sim and put it in an iPhone 5. Then I got a new nano sim off eBay and put it in the iPad Mini. Then sold the iPad mini wit the new nano sim on eBay.

Would the person who bought it run into problem if they tried to add a data only plan to the iPad Mini?

Phone
    SG Note 2/HTC EVO
    Carriers
    Sprint PCS
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Haswell1150 View Post
    It's not that I can't afford an iPhone (or any other smartphone for that matter), I just can't justify spending $90 a month for one.

So, i was wondering would it be possible get a Verizon nano sim card, and sign up for a $40 tablet plan which gets you 4GB of data month. Then drop the nano sim card into a Verizon iPhone 5, and just use talkatone to make VoIP calls.
    I cant say for sure about VZW, but AT&T will allow this I'm told, though you'll have to change the APN.

Keep in mind Verizon uses CDMA which attaches to the phone's ESN/IMEI, so swapping the SIM may not do any good (I tried this on Sprint a couple years back with a "world phone" that used a Sprint SIM and it wouldn't activate)
    "Thank you for helping us, help you, help us all" - GLaDOS, PORTAL

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T. S. Eliot

Feedback Score

We are not talking about CDMA, we are talking about LTE.

Feedback Score

So then what would happen if bought an iPad mini 4G LTE and signed up for a data only plan. Then removed the Nano sim and put it in an iPhone 5. Then I got a new nano sim off eBay and put it in the iPad Mini. Then sold the iPad mini wit the new nano sim on eBay.

Would the person who bought it run into problem if they tried to add a data only plan to the iPad Mini?
    Your IPad mini will be locked to your account. I believe the term is mule device.

Feedback Score

I wanted to know if you ever got any confirmation on whether this works. I have an iPad Mini and took the Verizon nano sim out and put it in a factory unlocked iPhone 5 with no results, I'm wondering if maybe it would work in a Verizon specific iPhone 5.

Phone
    iPhone 4S, Moto Atrix, Galaxy Nexus LTE
    Carrier
    ATT (Jan 2004-Current), Tmobile Oct 2007-Current, Sprint 1997-2004, Aerial Communications 1996
    Feedback Score
    Per FCC regulation. You can switch between any "verizon certified LTE device (Mifi, tablet or phone) any way you want. Here is post of guy putting tablet LTE sim into Verizon iPhone 5 LTE.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1465636

Carriers
    WIND Mobile (09/2010-present)
    Bell 05/2005-08/2006, Virgin Mobile Canada 08/2006-11/2009, Fido 11/2009-09/2010
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MjaymesMoore View Post
    I wanted to know if you ever got any confirmation on whether this works. I have an iPad Mini and took the Verizon nano sim out and put it in a factory unlocked iPhone 5 with no results, I'm wondering if maybe it would work in a Verizon specific iPhone 5.
    Factory unlocked iOS devices do not support CDMA nor Verizon's LTE. It has to be a Verizon unit.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Good deal. Thanks for the quick responses and links. I plan on getting an iPhone 5 from Verizon this week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast