Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HTC DROID DNA Release Thread

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score

HTC DROID DNA Release Thread

Please use this thread to discuss the HTC DROID DNA.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...edPhoneId=6103

PhoneArena Review:

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/HT...-Review_id3191

=>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Nice to see the release thread up.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Re: HTC DROID DNA Release Thread

The big deal here, obviously, is the 5" non-PenTile 440ppi display. To me, IMO, that makes both the absent external storage and the fully sealed-in zero access battery glaring mistakes.

When I, hopefully very soon, retire this DX, I can still use it's non-cellular capabilities, especially WiFi browsing, music, movies, and camera. I can easily replace the battery so it can remain, like me, active and useful in the retirement years. That will be much less likely to happen -- certainly much less convenient to make happen -- for the DNA. I suspect, that when the battery quits, the vast majority of aging HTC DNAs will retire to a dark drawer and thence, eventually, to the trash.

Another route to quicker obsolescence for the DNA also starts at the battery. When I first got my DX battery pull resets were few and far between. But as it gets older -- for whatever reason -- this phone misbehaves or gets hung up more frequently. No software dependent long press reset will ever be as sure or as effective as quickly and simply removing the phone's source of power.

My DX can play movies and music from SD cards. 16GB SDs are getting pretty cheap. But 16GB will hold close to 20 DivX movies or a whole bunch of 128 or even 192 mp3s. Load up a few SDs with your old favorites, tuck 'em in the case and you're good to go. Won't have that option with the DNA. When it's full, it's full. And when it's over, it's over.

But what about right now? Your new vzw DNA links -- and binds -- you to the clouds from jump street. Have a $30 plan with a two gig cap? Stream Pandora a few hours every day add a little (it won't take much) browsing and just a few visits to YouTube and -- forget HBO2GO -- you're already looking over your shoulder for overages. But if you keep your music and video right there in your pocket or purse -- on the SD card(s) -- you can stretch those 2 GBs a little further.

The hardware on the DNA is truly top drawer. It's the hardware that *isn't* on it that gives me pause.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 11-21-2012 at 05:09 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

The downside about sd cards is that you have to manually sync all the content. While this isn't a problem for a DSLR, it gets really annoying having to connect either my phone or the sd card to load up content, offload content, etc. Personally I wish the DNA has the storage capacity of the One X+. Most games supporting high resolution are going to be huge.

And you can replace the battery if its anything like the RAZR. I've done it before, and its just a couple screws. I had a similar stance on laptop batteries, but you won't really notice if your computer is efficient enough.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Cheaper in the long run to use SD cards than pay for the upload/download every increasing data rates.
    FAUguy, do you have this phone for review?

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Puzzling response. Then don't put stuff you want to sync on the SD. Duh. That's no reason for the HTC DNA not to have one. You say it's "really annoying" to transfer content. More annoying than repeated data overage charges?

As for the battery, it appears NOT to be "anything like the RAZR":
    "Worth mentioning, there’s no access to its internal 2,020 mAh battery with its closed design, plus, there’s no microSD card slot with this one either." [from OP link]

I'm not familiar with the sync problem you describe, mostly because I never sync anything. But what's "really annoying" to me are these persistent efforts by Google, the carriers, and the manufacturers to remove our choices and force us to pay data charges on our meteted and capped data plans for data that already belongs to us. If there is a sync issue with SD it's because Google (thoughtfully?) failed to provide for it.

You certainly have the choice to use cloud storage and sync your data. That's a good thing. I'd like to have the same choice not to visit the cloud and keep my data all locally on the phone. With no on board external storage on this HTC device or the new LG Blaze / N4, that choice is denied to me.

Samsung seems to be the only phone-maker right now giving us premier handsets with SD external storage and extended battery choices. So, for now, Sammy's the man!

Is there any word yet on bootloader status?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 11-21-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldheld View Post
    Cheaper in the long run to use SD cards than pay for the upload/download every increasing data rates.
    FAUguy, do you have this phone for review?
    John already reviewed it last week, link is in the top post.
    I haven't got my demo unit yet. I may end up doing a comparison review, such as DNA vs GS3 or Note 2.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sorry FAUguy, I forgot. Review between DNA and Note II would be interesting.
    My VZW store did not have a DNA out for me to try out this morning.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    On my way home today, I stopped by a VZW store and took a look at the DNA for a few minutes.
    The overall size of the phone really isn't much bigger than the GS3, but can tell the screen is larger (0.20").
    The 1080p resolution is nice, can't see any individual pixels, and colors look great.

BUT....to me the viewing angles aren't that great when compared to the GS3. On the DNA, I have to look at it pretty much straight on, as any slight off-axis viewing shows noticeable contrast/brightness shift on the screen, while the GS3 you can look at it off-axis some and it still looks OK. I had the same experience with the LCD screen on the Rezound.

So here's hoping the 1080p AMOLED display will show up on the GS4 and Note 3 next year!

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Seems like another reason not to select the DNA. I will try to go to my store and look at one, most likely after the Note II is released.

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I have to mention the DNA's wireless/inductive charging. I have that, as an option, on both my D3 and D4, and its pretty nice. And because of that wireless/inductive charging, you shouldn't be needing to use the USB port as often, and that makes its cover on the DNA a bit more tolerable.

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Puzzling response. Then don't put stuff you want to sync on the SD. Duh. That's no reason for the HTC DNA not to have one. You say it's "really annoying" to transfer content. More annoying than repeated data overage charges?

As for the battery, it appears NOT to be "anything like the RAZR":
    "Worth mentioning, there’s no access to its internal 2,020 mAh battery with its closed design, plus, there’s no microSD card slot with this one either." [from OP link]

I'm not familiar with the sync problem you describe, mostly because I never sync anything. But what's "really annoying" to me are these persistent efforts by Google, the carriers, and the manufacturers to remove our choices and force us to pay data charges on our meteted and capped data plans for data that already belongs to us. If there is a sync issue with SD it's because Google (thoughtfully?) failed to provide for it.

You certainly have the choice to use cloud storage and sync your data. That's a good thing. I'd like to have the same choice not to visit the cloud and keep my data all locally on the phone. With no on board external storage on this HTC device or the new LG Blaze / N4, that choice is denied to me.

Samsung seems to be the only phone-maker right now giving us premier handsets with SD external storage and extended battery choices. So, for now, Sammy's the man!

Is there any word yet on bootloader status?
    I couldn't care less about data. That's what unlimited is for. And I'll leave Verizon if I have to lose it.

Bootloader IS unlockable, however its not quite open since S-Off isn't enabled. If all you want is hackability, you're better served with the S3 or the Galaxy Nexus

That said, the RAZR, RAZR HD, and Nexus 4 all have a sealed battery setup. If you really want to replace the battery, you can, however its not as simple as popping off the back cover and popping off the battery. Provided the DNA's battery setup isn't like the the 8X (the battery is sandwiched between the motherboard and PCB there), it should be just as serviceable.

Lastly for the SD card, I personally use it for rom backups, and media. But with apps such as Netflix, Spotify, Google Music, etc it kills the need for carrying such massive amounts of storage. Usually I'll just sync up a few lossless files that I feel like listening to on the phone, and leave the rest for Pandora/Slacker/Sirius/Spotify/Google Music. I have 5~7k songs, so that will be a mess to have all on my phone. Granted I wouldn't try this with a tiered plan, but I only use 4~5 GB doing this. The low amount of internal storage is definitely something to be concerned about. The best solution would be an high amount of internal storage (like the One X+)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Thia text from linked review seems to imply the battery is more similar in principle to the 8X: "Worth mentioning, there's no access (to battery) . . . with its closed design."

"The best solution would be . . ." an SD card slot. Even a 64GB IM is still limiting. With SD cards you can keep several with the phone -- so there is no effective limit on data storage.

So, nobody actually bought one?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 11-25-2012 at 11:13 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Even though I'm still waiting on my demo unit, with the 10 min that I used a DNA at the local store, I still like the GS3 more overall. The GS3 has more software features, plus the removable battey and memory card slot. I also prefer the AMOLED screen since the viewing angles on it are much better than the DNA's LCD, even though its 1080p. I found that the most annoying part.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6 Plus, Galaxy S6, Nexus 5, Note 3
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have one of the tiny small USB 64GB thumb drives. NTFS formatted, plugged into DNA, problem solved. And it's loaded with 1080p MKV movies, and games.
    Heaven!!!
    Verizon Wireless 20Mhz FDD LTE

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast