View Poll Results: Stick With Sprint Or Switch?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 42.86%
  • No

4 57.14%

Thread: Move to Straight Talk Or Stick With Sprint?

Feedback Score

Red face Move to Straight Talk Or Stick With Sprint?

Hey guys, it's my first post on this forum. You guys have educated me a lot on Straight Talk's services, restrictions, reliability (unreliability in some cases), and customer service. I've had my fears, but what I fear is being stuck under contract for 2 more years with a service that could be worse than Straight Talk's.

First and foremost, I've been a Sprint customer for over 2 years and I've been waiting out my upgrade. Why? Well, the S3 is going for sale for 50 bucks this Friday, and I'm at a dilemma here. I've been getting about 1 mb/s on Sprint at home, but I get .12 mb/s at work. I get WiMax (disappointing) some times, but I'm pretty sure I'll get LTE (if I stick with Sprint) more. I don't care about that too much, but if I can get HSPA+ (on Straight Talk) more often than my current WiMax, I'd be joyous. I know that ATT may be better in terms of coverage in my area compared to Sprint, buy I'm not so sure about T-Mobile (if I get their SIM).Also I've heard T-Mobile's wall penetration is bad. But I would take T Mobile's SIM over ATT's if they're more lenient than ATT in my next topic...

Data....I rarely go over 100 mb a day, but sometimes 70mb (all varying based upon the level of my boredom) and my friends have been saying Straight Talk seems too good to be true. I want to get an answer if they would cut me off (living in a populated township, Monmouth County, NJ) with that usage before I make my final decision on Friday. I'm afraid because I've heard that Straight Talk is throttling random users who may have used a minute amount of data while others get away with GB's upon GB's through tethering.

And in the end, if I'm going to switch, I'm going to get my feet wet with an IPhone 3 (ancient history) which I've heard doesn't even run most of it's apps such as Facebook because of it being so outdated. If it's worth switching to Straight Talk I'll bring another phone (and if anyone could recommend one, not a phone over $250 please), I'll do it... ANY OPINION FROM A STRAIGHT TALK CUSTOMER RUNNING THEIR ANDROID/IPHONE OFF ATT/T-MOBILE'S NETWORK IS WELCOMED. PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO RESPOND AS I'M RUNNING ON LITTLE TIME HERE. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!
    Last edited by dustinlevy; 11-19-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (ATT SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I would make the switch even at 70Mb a day your still under their radar ive been well over that several times on the att sim. The iphone 3G or 3GS both are decent phones for basic use even Facebook and light web browsing. However you will not have access to HSPA+ on those phones and will need to get an att sim for 3G speeds. As for phones the new Nexus 4 will get you HSPA+ on both att and Tmobile sims a used iPhone 4S will get HSPA+ on att and may fall into your price range as well. Good luck in your choice.

Feedback Score

Move to Straight Talk Or Stick With Sprint?

It's true that you will have a high end S3 for little money, but in the long run if you do the math; you will save a lot with straight talk $45 plans. If I was you I would get the nexus 4, yes it is 50 dollars more then your budget; but you will be happier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kminant View Post
    It's true that you will have a high end S3 for little money, but in the long run if you do the math; you will save a lot with straight talk $45 plans. If I was you I would get the nexus 4, yes it is 50 dollars more then your budget; but you will be happier.
    I'm getting a nice 25% discount per month and still paying more, but if I have to switch back if Straight Talk isn't good, then I'd have lost that discount. Is Straight Talk reliable even in good coverage areas? I've heard stories of people just losing 3G one day and getting it back when they dealt with ST's infamous bad customer support.

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    you say you been reading the forum. the poll on whats best for you in your case is kinda silly. but you should not be concerned sprint is the worst network in america. if you have a signal from another carrier i hope you dont make the same mistake twice. straight talk has a lot of pluses. the big one for you is you have att,verizon and tmobile to pick and choose from when using straight talk. but a cheap phone who cares, right?

Phones
    too many to list
    virgin mobile blackberry curve 8530
    Page Plus Droid X2 and Droid 3
    Carriers
    virgin mobile
    lycamobile
    Feedback Score

Re: Move to Straight Talk Or Stick With Sprint?

Anything is better then sprint, St is cheaper and real 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Peter Is A God AkA Gods Son

Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Move to Straight Talk Or Stick With Sprint?

I think that testing out the network on a 3G would be somewhat of a non-test. You won't be getting the fastest speeds that you would later get with a better phone. Now, don't get me wrong, you'll probably see improvement over what you have now, but not as much as you would have with a better phone. I came to ST from Virgin Mobile in February. Wen I had started with VM, on sprint's network, I got great speeds. Then after sprint got the iPhone, and oversold VM, the speeds were so slow that I sometimes couldn't even use the GPS on the phone because I couldn't get enough data speed to keep up with GPS, which is pretty bad. I also think you should be good on ST with your usage. I would also echo the Nexus recommendation. Or perhaps you can get a galaxy nexus (the previous version)-note that the GSM GNEX does not have many of the problems that the Sprint and Verizon version had.
    On an unrelated note, if you do decide to get the S3 and renew your contract, SAMs Club has it for basically free (I think if's $1) on Friday, if you have one of those near you and are a member, or have thought about becoming a member. To 100% sure that this offer is for the Sprint version as well, know for AT&T and think it is for all carrier versions.

Phones
    iphone 5
    iphone 5
    iphone 5
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Stick or Switch

Yes/No???? I am a little confused,....am I saying yes to staying or leaving?

Which one says leave Sprint ASAP???? That is the one I vote for!

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I did leave Sprint (after 12+ years) and have been on Straight Talk since May. In my case, it was an easy decision--since December, we couldn't make phone calls from inside our house on our non-smart phones/and semi-smart--Palm Centros--phones. I tried an LG Optimus V on VM for awhile to see if the phone would make a difference, but it didn't. We had 4 phones and as each contract was up, each bought a phone (two galaxy nexuses and two iphone4s's) and got ST AT&T sims. I can't say the coverage is great at home, but we HAVE coverage now. The iphones get better in the house. One of the gnex's is in Orlando. He just switched to the ST T-Mobile to try it (which is something you can do easily on ST). He had been hitting some dead areas with the AT&T. At my home (the other 3 phones), there is as much of a T-Mobile signal as there was Sprint. (It's Verizon territory).
    So, as I said, an easy decision and over 2 years, we'll have saved over $1700. after factoring in the cost of our phones. When we travel with AT&T, we always have enough signal for phone and text. Data may drop to 2G in some areas, but I've had data all the way from south Florida to the mountains of western Pennsylvania--something I USED to have with Sprint until the past year.
    I'm on wifi a lot so I don't use a lot of cellular data. I have used over 100 MB on a rare day, but have not received any consequence. My monthly is never up to 2GB.

Feedback Score
    Sprint in my area is weak and the data is non existent. ST is strong and lighting fast in comparison, Right there with my wifes verizon service. In fact better in the house.

Feedback Score
    forgot to mention I am in SW Michigan....

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I still haven't figured out why Sprint exists. Most of their coverage is roaming on Verizon. Virgin Mobile is just Sprint's native coverage and its not going to allow you to be all that mobile at all. The only way I see sticking with it is if you don't go outside native coverage and you have good service where your at and from the sounds of it that isn't the case. I'd check to see if your home area and places you travel to have good coverage, if they do I'd jump ship. Use the Iphone 3 to test the waters for a few months then put the money you saved towards buying a high end phone of your choice. Just stay under 2 GB of data use a month, pay 45$ plus tax/911 and enjoy.

Feedback Score
    I just switch my second line from sprint to straight talk. lots of savings coming my way. im a heavy user. all my streaming is on wifi. everything else is on 4g.

Carrier
    Ting, Republic Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Definitely leave Sprint. I've found Sprint to have the best pricing of the big four, especially with the Sprint SERO plan, but you can still get a better price from an MVNO.

Either go with ST's AT&T SIM, or Ting. Ting now has BYOD, and so you can actually take your existing Sprint phones to Ting and get way better pricing.

https://ting.com/byod/devices

I was with ST via AT&T for about 8 months and was very happy. I'm switching to Ting at the end of the month, however, because given my usage, Ting is cheaper.
    Last edited by Endeavor; 11-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I no longer see messages from these users (and won't respond to them):
    pfoneguy, rcentros.

Phones
    unlocked at&t Samsung S3 mini
    unlocked at&t Samsung S3 mini
    Carrier
    StraightTalk at&t
    Feedback Score
    I would switch from Sprint to Straight talk. Sprints coverage just doesn't compare.