Thread: Only 2G ST on my HTC?

Phones
    HTC HD7
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Only 2G ST on my HTC?

I moved my HTC HD7 (t-mobile) Windows 7.5 phone to Straight Talk yesterday. I have followed every instruction from Straight Talk, spoken with ST tech support (for what that was worth) and read every available non-partisan forum I can find. I've tried every APN setting I can find. However, no matter what I do I continue to get the "2G" message at the top of the screen next to 'signal strength'. Syncing email and using any app is pitifully slow, even painfully slow. Syncing with FB and getting new 'notifications' is even worse. I do not download video, music, games, etc., at all. I'm in the middle of the strongest coverage/signal areas for all the carriers in a major metropolitan area. I don't understand why it's 2G. Are there any HTC-HD7 Straight Talk users that can help? Is there ANYONE who can give me some advice? I'm starting to question my decision to make the move to ST, even though I did a lot research before making the move. Everything I read says I should not be having these issues. I don't know what else to try.
    At the heart of every device is the USER

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Re: Only 2G ST on my HTC?

Did you get a tmobile sim or att?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using HowardForums

Phones
    HTC HD7
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    They sent me the t-mobile sim. Must be, as the att.mvno APN settings did not seem to work when their tech support had me try them.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

What is your apn setting that is working?

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Also is there good tmobile coverage where you are? I also see that the HD7 has an option to turn 3g off and on, is it on?

Phones
    HTC HD7
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Current Settings are as follows:

APN wap.tracfone
    PROXY 216.155.165.40
    PORT 8080

My HD7 has the following fields available in the "Settings" - "Cellular" - "APN Settings" section:

APN:
    User Name:
    Password:
    Proxy Server/URL:
    Proxy Port:

The Straight Talk data instructions for 'Smartphones' stated to leave 'proxy' blank, but the phone would not let me save the APN settings without entering something in the proxy line.

Phones
    HTC HD7
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Yes, good t-mobile coverage, and 3G is on :-)

Phones
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    AT&T Apple iPhone 5S
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile does not have HSPA on Band IV (1700) in every market. In some markets T-Mobile is refarming its Band II (1900) for HSPA. The T-Mobile version of your telephone does not have Band II WCDMA capability. You should check with T-Mobile to see which bands they are using at your location. The coverage map does not distinguish between 3G and 4G or which band is used for those services.
    Last edited by efparri; 11-23-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    Earl F. Parrish

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

It looks correct have you checked to make sure 3g is on?

Change band To change the network band, follow these steps: 1. From the Start screen, swipe left. 2. Tap Settings. 3. Tap cellular. 4. Tap the 3G connection slider to On to use a 3G connection when available. 5. Tap the 3G connection slider to Off to only use a 2G connection. Select 2G Only 1. From the Start screen, swipe left. 2. Tap Settings 3. Tap Cellular 4. 3G connection slide switch to off

Phones
    HTC HD7
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    I'll check again, but says my connection speed is set to 3G. I'm going to drive to t-mobile and ask them there.

Phones
    HTC HD7
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Well, okay ... Apparently my house is down in a "depression" along the riverbank, and therefore at home I can only get 2G. As soon as I left the house and got on level ground, POOF ... 3G. And now I feel really embarrassed. Still went to the t-mobile store as I was going in that direction anyway, they were nice and went through the other settings and functions with me even though it is for ST now. I guess they want to keep a chance I'll come back to t-mobile later. And one of the t-mobile guys said some of his family use ST, so he knew the drill.

It would be really nice, however, if HTC would come up with the Straight Talk profile in the HTC Connections app to make this a little simpler, and to make everything work together a little smoother. But for now, we have to wait and see.

Other than that, you guys were great here, and I appreciate the help trying to get it figured out right. It's good to know there are people out here who know the ins-n-outs and are willing to pass on their knowledge. Thanks again!

Phones
    HTC HD7
    HTC HD7
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    And BTW, thanks especially to member "Zmk76" and "efparri" for your really, really quiick responses to my problem!!!

Carrier
    AT&T Gophone
    Feedback Score

Might want to switch to a art phone and get a att sim. They have much better 3g coverage for arras vs T-Mobile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using HowardForums