Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy S 3 - why is my battery dying so quickly??

Phone
    iPhone 4s 32Gb White, Samsung Galaxy S III 32 Gb White
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Galaxy S 3 - why is my battery dying so quickly??

I read online in reviews that the battery life is supposed to be very good in the GS3. So why can I not make it through a full day (and by full day I don't mean 24 hours I mean from about 7 am to when to go to bed) Instead, the phone tells me it's critically low around late afternoon!

Now, I am not running anything overly intense either! I only have one auto updating widget (facebook) and have it set to hourly. I have BT turned OFF. And WiFi usually turned OFF. Not using live wallpaper. Screen brightness at about 60%.

Usage admittedly I have been actually playing with it quite a bit... but nothing CPU intensive like games etc. Mostly just playing with it to tweak things right now (like changing icons etc and selecting wallpapers etc and shopping on the play store for themes etc to get it set up how I want) I have not been on it constantly. And only a couple calls throughout the day at a few mins each.

It's not a defective battery because I just picked up the spare battery and charger pack this evening, charged the new one up and swapped them out. In 15 mins I lost 4% charge. Is this normal???

The next thing I am trying is forcing HSPA only and turning LTE off.

But if the only way to get a full day out of this thing is not use it... then what's the use???

In tests I read online, GS3 battery outperformed the iPhone 4s battery, but my iPhone 4s lasted easily a full day and then some!!! With the same sort of usage and some game playing thrown in too!

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    LTE takes a lot of juice out of the SIII battery.

I hardly get 2-3 hours of screen time when connected to LTE. On HSPA, I'm getting between 4-5 hours screen time.

Phones
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Moto Droid as an accessory
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Galaxy S 3 - why is my battery dying so quickly??

Look at your battery usage. Display is usually biggest user. Put the power control widget on it. I don't use auto brightness and by using the widget, I turn mine all the way down and only turn it up in direct sunlight.

LTE On/Off Thunderbolt app may work. Your signal strength greatly affects the battery. Its not the phone's fault if you have a weak LTE signal and of course, 4s had none.

Phone
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I tried going lower than about 50% on the display and find it too dim to look at for very long (unless I am in a dark room). It would be fine for just answering a call etc but for surfing etc anything lower than that is just way too hard too see!!

I'm trying no LTE at all for awhile... I can always turn it on if I am downloading anything big or watching a movie etc (and then I'd be plugged in or using an external battery pack like my MiLi Power Crystal)

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGS-I747M)
    Samsung Galaxy SIII (SGS-I747M)
    Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I found that if I click Samsung apps or Samsung Suggest I have quick battery drain even in standby mode.
    Once you try it, it always seems to be running, even if you restart your phone.
    What I did was disable several of the apps that came with the SGS III. If you look up "Bloatware" and Galaxy S III there are several articles on how to disable them, and what they disabled.
    Its quite an easy process and probably doubled my stand by time.
    Also, check the disabled list once in a while as some become active again if someone accidentally clicks one of those apps.

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Synergie1 View Post
    I'm trying no LTE at all for awhile...
    You have a separate switch? I understood AT$T's Note didn't.

I've also gotten into the habit of manually turning off the screen.

Phone
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    You have a separate switch? I understood AT$T's Note didn't.
    I went into settings, more settings, mobile networks, Network Mode... and changed it from auto to hspa only

Carriers
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

I had massive wake locks from Gpslocationprovider. Don't know how I fixed it. Wiped and reinstalled about 3 times. It's gone now and my battery life with LTE is amazing. Use better battery stats to find out if it's a wake lock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Koodo Plan - $60
    250 Minutes | Canada-Wide | 5pm E&W | Call Display | Voicemail | 6GB Data | Unlimited SMS/MMS

Carrier
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    i'm currently on 11-12 hrs...
    didn't really use my phone much today though

if i constantly turned it on to surf web or change icons, it will last as little as 4-5 hours.

Phone
    Galaxy SIII, iPhone 4s Black 64GB (wife's phone)
    Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterKe View Post
    I had massive wake locks from Gpslocationprovider. Don't know how I fixed it. Wiped and reinstalled about 3 times. It's gone now and my battery life with LTE is amazing. Use better battery stats to find out if it's a wake lock.
    LTE will use more data when in use because it use 2-4 more larger spectrum space when transmitting. If connected to wifi, LTE or HSPA does not make a big difference.
    Also, you have a custom rom... so it can not really be compared to a stock ROM.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    have you tried a task killer app? i find that the ones in the play store are more reliable than the stock one. i use super tool box, although advanced task killer is also pretty reliable. every now and then killing the apps in the background goes a long way. in a post above is the first time i even heard it possible to disable the bloatware without rooting, ill have to look into that as well, but i would get about 5-7 hours streaming music on wifi with the screen on before i got to 15% or less. i have since moved my music streaming to my work computer, so now the phone just sits there with my occasional checking rss feeds i usually get about 7-9 hours before hitting critical battery levels. all during this i have my brightness set to about 75%. hopefully this helps your battery life.

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score

This was my battery life today. Made it through the day. I can make it last about 5 hours longer by dimming the screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Phone
    Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    [H][/H]
    Quote Originally Posted by rich96 View Post
    This was my battery life today. Made it through the day. I can make it last about 5 hours longer by dimming the screen.
    Guys, I don't know what I did, but even with LTE on, my battery is now lasting longer. I am running the 2x battery app which runs an algorythm in the background that bloicks data while the screen is off (I have it set to come on at 15 min intervals to do notification updates while the screen is off) and other than that I have the screen brightness at about 75% and it's now lasting 10 hrs + I also bought a spare battery (the one that comes with the charger in the kit... it was on sale and cost the same as the battery by itself) so I have a spare in case I know I will be out longer (or overnight etc) From my iPhone I also have a few of those external usb battery chargers. I leave them on an outlet at home, so that if the power ever goes out during a storm or something I can charge the phone off them. One is 2000 mA and the other is 1800 mA. Good for emergencies. I recommend everyone have at least one of them for the same reason! You can get ones with much higher mA now too.

But anyway my battery seems to be acting better now, although maybe I am just not playing as much with the phone since I have it set up now. Was busy downloading apps to replace all my iPhone apps (and there were a lot - still missing most of my games... consequently is anyone knows of a cribbage game where you can fdo pass and play with multiple players using the one phone pls let me know! It seems all the ones I find in the market with half decent graphics are either locally against the computer only, or against people online but no pass and play!)

Phones
    LG VX8350 (retired)
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

That 2x looks good. There were several named that. Is it the Sam Lu one?

Phones
    .::Iphone 3gS White::.
    .::Iphone 3g White::. 3.0 JB
    .::Sony Ericsson k850i::.
    Carriers
    ATT (USA)
    Feedback Score

Galaxy S 3 - why is my battery dying so quickly??

I have has the same issue with my gs3 draining battery quick. Usually when I get a major drop in battery percentage, the phone gets hot. I would go into work with about 90%. A few hour later with minimal usage, the phone will heat up and the battery would drop down to about 60%. I would have to restart the phone to get it back to normal.
    "You know..when u found that one thing that gets you really excited...its higher than any other drug in the world"

Twitter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast