Thread: Can Virgin Mobile phone be used with other carriers?

Feedback Score

Can Virgin Mobile phone be used with other carriers?

Just bought the HTC one V from Virgin for $49.99, a huge leap from my Nokia flip phone that is falling apart. I'm ready to ditch T-mobile, very poor coverage in my area. Thought I'd try Virgin and understand I can keep my current number. If I'm not happy can I take my phone and my number and use it with a different carrier? TIA .

Phone
    Galaxy S4 & Optimus G
    Carrier
    Verizon & Sprint
    Feedback Score

Re: Can Virgin Mobile phone be used with other carriers?

Not usually. CDMA devices can be tough.

Sent from my DROID X2

Phone
    Nokia 2720
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Virgin
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorkate View Post
    1. Just bought the HTC one V from Virgin for $49.99, a huge leap from my Nokia flip phone that is falling apart.
    2. I'm ready to ditch T-mobile, very poor coverage in my area.
    3. Thought I'd try Virgin and understand I can keep my current number.
    4. If I'm not happy can I take my phone and my number and use it with a different carrier? TIA .
    Okeh...
    1. Good.
    2. Good. However, many places with poor T-Mobile coverage are also poor with Sprint, the underlying carrier for Virgin Mobile.
    3. It's very likey you can keep your current number.
    4. No and yes. You will be able to move your number to still another carrier. Virgin Mobile has made a great effort to prevent use of their phones on another carrier.
    Regards, FJ

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorkate View Post
    Just bought the HTC one V from Virgin for $49.99, a huge leap from my Nokia flip phone that is falling apart. I'm ready to ditch T-mobile, very poor coverage in my area. Thought I'd try Virgin and understand I can keep my current number. If I'm not happy can I take my phone and my number and use it with a different carrier? TIA .
    VM phones are hard to flash to other carriers. They are also not allowed on other Byosd carriers (bring your own sprint device) like Kajeet, Prepayd, Eco. VM phones should only be used on VM . You can always resale it.

Carriers
    Net10
    Clear
    Feedback Score

Re: Can Virgin Mobile phone be used with other carriers?

VM phones typically dont have OMA and can be a nightmare to get data working. You can flash or if you have MSL can activate on MVNO but not reccomended unless you only need talk and text

Sent from my SPH-D600 using HowardForums

Phone
    Lumia_Icon
    Carrier
    VZW_Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (Sprint: Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/7.5.32193/28.3182; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorkate
    It would be best to sell it, and buy a different phone for whatever service you decide to use If Virgin Mobile does not meet your needs.
    No Contract means I have all the power.
    They want me, but they can't have me...