Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LG 840G - Loading Contacts

Feedback Score

LG 840G - Loading Contacts

Can anyone tell me if I can do file transfer (VCard File) to my new LG840G? I have all of my contacts
    captured, and stored on my PC.

Can I do a drag and drop or will I have to do one at a time from my old phone through Bluetooth??

Feedback Score
    I have since found the answer to my question....I did a Bluetooth transfer of my entire Vcard file from the PC
    to the LG 840G. It worked great. All of my contacts now appear in alphabetical order as they should.

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    That's some great info. I've been looking at picking up the LG 840g.

Feedback Score
    After getting the .vcf file into the phone just select the file and the all the contacts will be copied - each and every time you click on the file!

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'd be interested to know the file size of your VCF. I have 110 contacts. I tried several times to bluetooth them to my pc. It appears to work, but the file flashes too fast to my pc. I check the file size and it's only 28kbs. It should be over 2MB. I know because with my older cell I have the contacts saved to my pc with usb cable. So I decided to copy the contacts to the current SIM. Well, now I see 2 entries for each and every contact.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I just fixed the prob of seeing duplicate contacts. Clicked on Contacts---> view settings--->Phone only. I'm going to try to bluetooth my contacts tomorrow at work. Maybe that pc will work better???

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I'm at work,now, and I paired the phone to the laptop. Phone and laptop both said file was transferred. Well, it's still only the first entry. I may have to just email the contacts to my Gmail account in groups of 10 contacts. Yeah, it's a pain, but I already tested out sending the first 10 and at least the contacts show up so I can merge them to my email account. What a bummer, such a long process.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoonie4howard View Post
    Phone and laptop both said file was transferred. Well, it's still only the first entry.
    What phone are you sending from?

The LGs will send a single contact or all contacts in a single VCF file. Not all devices (phones, contact managers, etc) understand the multiple contact format though, and only show the first one.

I had that problem with my LG500G going to my laptop and to my Samsung S390G.
    (When sending all it creates a single VCF file with all the contacts then sends it via Bluetooth)

My son's Samsung T404G and the S390G sends all contacts differently. It sends each as a separate transfer to the computer or other phone. To get from the LG to the Samsung I had to do each contact separately. I was able to use the "send all" option for Samsung -> Samsung or Samsung -> LG.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Sending from the LG 840 G , same as the subject line. The bluetooth method is not working. I gave up using 2 different computers. Then I emailed all my A contacts in one email to my gmail. Did the same with the rest of the alphabet. Why they did away with saving contacts to the external card is just plain dumb. Maybe the bluetooth method is fine for people with only a few contacts. I have 110 contacts, with a file size of over 2 MB. Bluetooth just can't handle it.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    ??? What about sending from one phone to the other?
    Leave the computer out of it.

What software on the computer has your contact list?
    Does is support Bluetooth exports directly?

Oh, I've sent 10MB files over BT. Most of my MP3 files are over 5MB each.
    (Not on the LG840G, as I don't own that phone.)
    Last edited by ST Dog; 01-03-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, ST Dog !! I must have been brain dead. Yes, I sent a small pic and then I sent a 13Mb MP3 by BT. And it worked! I will do the BT transfer of my contacts when I get home. I first want to be sure I have the old contacts on my PC (just in case). If you don't hear from me again, then you know it all worked out OK. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Yup, I was able to transfer all of my contacts, pictures, and videos directly from my LG 501c to my LG 840g via bluetooth.

Feedback Score
    To transfer my contacts from my samsung s425g to my lg 840g I connected the bluetooth but the lg 840g was telling me "only connect headset" when I tried to connect through bluetooth.

Once the devices knew each other, but don't need to be paired, all I had to do was go into my contacts, select "send business card via", select "bluetooth", select "multiple", check "all", select the new device, and they sent automatically

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by keithbzjr View Post
    Once the devices knew each other, but don't need to be paired,
    They were paired. They won't talk to each other if not. That's just the way Bluetooth works, you have to pair the 2 devices.

Not sure the cause of your errors as I don't have either phone to have experience with, but they were (and are) paired.

Maybe not "connected" with is a different phase that happens with some devices/"profiles" after pairing.

Carriers
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    This thread was very helpful to me recently when helping my sister transfer her contacts from her Verizon phone to her new LG840G, but I ran into one problem that I haven't seen mentioned here. After using Verizon's web site to export the contacts to a vcard file and copying the file to her phone via USB, only one contact - the first one - would import. Opening the file using notepad on her Windows PC showed the entire contents of the file as one long string - not what I was expecting, and unlike my vague memory of what the contents of a vcard file should look like.

As it turns out, the file exported from Verizon contained only LF as an end-of-line character, which wasn't being displayed in notepad. I opened the file using PFE32 and saved it again with the "Unix format" option unchecked (thus replacing all LF with CRLF), and all contacts were successfully imported on the next attempt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast