Thread: Best Verizon based 3G only phone for Page Plus

Feedback Score

Question Best Verizon based 3G only phone for Page Plus

I'm on sprint and planning to make the switch to PP when my billing cycle closes in early december. I have a Evo 3D and thought about porting it over but I'd like to just buy a high end 3G only verizon based phone and avoid all the headaches I've been reading about when porting over sprint phones.

As a matter of opinion what do you guys think the best 3G only verizon phone is? My wife has a Droid Razr I put on PP in Oct. I hate that she has service everywhere and I dont which is the main reason I'm switching myself!

Here's what I want for features
    - Large screen
    - Good battery life (my evo last about a day with 3g on or a couple with data disabled. I'm used to that so anything comparable is acceptable.)
    - Dual core processor
    - No slide out keyboard
    - Micro USB charge port (already have chargers for house and car)
    - MicroSD port (already have cards)
    - Good Developer community support (lots of ROM options including ICS)

That's it really. So far I like the Droid X2 but I'm sure there are other good options as well. Let's hear what you guys think.

Phone
    Moto G
    Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sledwrecker View Post
    I'm on sprint and planning to make the switch to PP when my billing cycle closes in early december. I have a Evo 3D and thought about porting it over but I'd like to just buy a high end 3G only verizon based phone and avoid all the headaches I've been reading about when porting over sprint phones.

As a matter of opinion what do you guys think the best 3G only verizon phone is? My wife has a Droid Razr I put on PP in Oct. I hate that she has service everywhere and I dont which is the main reason I'm switching myself!

- Large screen
    - Good battery life (my evo last about a day with 3g on or a couple with data disabled. I'm used to that so anything comparable is acceptable.)
    - Dual core processor
    - No slide out keyboard

That's it really. So far I like the Droid X2 but I'm sure there are other good options as well. Let's hear what you guys think.
    Unfortunately with that list of requirements, you have pretty much come up with the only phone that meets them all. The Android 3G only options are all limited in some way considering today's tech standards. I can personally recommend the Samsung Fascinate, it has excellent developer support. Very very stable versions of ICS and JB exist and an alpha of 4.2 currently works pretty good.

Since you were able to get a Droid Razr working for your wife, why not do that again? It certainly fills all your requirements much better than any of the legacy 3G only models.

Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    Carriers
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sledwrecker View Post

- Large screen
    - Dual core processor
    - No slide out keyboard

Most all droids have USB and MicroSD. I have been using a Droid X and more recently a Droid 2 and Droid 3. I dont really find the Droid 3 to be any faster than the other two, especially when it comes to browsing. Nor do I currently find the physical keyboard to be any faster than the touch screen so far. I do like having HDMI to be able to stream netflix to HDTV on wifi. Droid X2 would probably handle that better than Droid X. My droid 3 offers mirror mode which may be the only decent advantage I can find over the droid X. I dislike the lower quality camera and lack of HD video and HDMI on the droid 2, but I like the overall feel of it better than the droid 3. I just can't be 100% happy with any one phone

Sounds like you want to end your search at a Droid X2.
    Droid X / Droid 2 Global / Incredible
    PPC - TNT1200

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by persim View Post
    Since you were able to get a Droid Razr working for your wife, why not do that again?
    I want to be fully plug-n-play. if the phone dies or is rebooted I dont want to hassle with re-activation, waiting for 3g to return for up to 24 hours, etc. My wifes phone dies all the time because she's a talk-a-holic. Most of the time when it's reactivated it gets 3G back after doing the "CDMA Auto PRL" trick. Once in a while it wont and she'll be on 1x for a day or two.

Reason I want a good 3g only phone is to avoid the 4g headaches. :-)

Phones
    LG Optimus T
    Moto G
    Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Smart move. You'll probably hear this from others, but the dual-core aspect of the Droid X2 really doesn't give it much of an edge over, say, the Incredible 2, which apparently just runs real well for a single core. But Motorolas do have a reputation for having a better voice radio component, signal grabbing ability. I like mine.