Thread: Made for iPhone Hearing Aids

Feedback Score

Made for iPhone Hearing Aids

For the past couple of months I have been following the rumors about Made for iPhone Hearing Aids.

It seems that the major manufactures are being very tight lipped about this. I have done lots of checking with Google etc. and there is some info but not a whole lot.

Does anyone have some info that they can share? I need to buy a new pair of hearing aids yesterday. I am willing to wait but the features need to be there.

Carrier
    AT&T or compatible
    Feedback Score

Made for iPhone Hearing Aids

Check out this link from Apple's own website concerning HAC, or Hearing Aid Compatibility.

http://www.apple.com/support/hac/

"Apple is working with top manufacturers to introduce Made for iPhone hearing aids that will deliver a power-efficient, high-quality digital audio experience (Requires iPhone 4S or later and iOS 6 or later). Made for iPhone hearing aids should be available from top hearing aid manufacturers starting in 2013."

This may also be of interest:

"Bridge" accessories for audio streaming
    Some hearing-aid manufacturers offer special "bridge" hearing-aid accessories that receive audio through Bluetooth from the iPhone and retransmit that audio using proprietary wireless audio-streaming technologies built in to some hearing aids. Check with your audiologist or hearing-aid manufacturer for more information.
    Q: Would you patronize a streetwalker?

A: No, I would treat her as an equal.

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately the all of the audiologist's that I have spoken to do not have a clue yet.

What I have been able to find out so far, and all of this is apparently:

The hearing aids will operate at 2.4 gig and will communicate with the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 operating on IOS 6 or better.

The hearing aids will communicate with each other if you use two of them. Sort of enhanced stereo for better direction sensing.

The hearing aids will be able to be programmed remotely by the phone or possibly by the audiologist remotely.

Multiple programs can be stored in the phone so that when you go to a theater or party or dinner date you will be able to select the mode that is best for you. Probably be tied to location services as well.

You will be able to connect one or multiple 2.4 gig transmitters to say your TV and stereo and be able to hear them without a streamer box. Maybe select the source on the phone or just when you are within range.

Bluetooth 4 would be built in as well so you could talk on the phone etc.

If you have a a 4S or a 5 on IOS 6 or better go to Setting/ Accessability/ and you will see hearing aids. If you enable it you will see the spinning star as the phone goes looking for the hearing aids.

Like I said, most of this is APPARENTLY for now anyhow.

Not great news or earth shattering unless you need hearing aids.

If anyone else should hear or read anything I would love to hear about it.

Phones
    iPhone 4S
    Samsung R355C (wife's)
    Motorola V600 (oversea travel)
    Carriers
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    I wear hearing aids too. Both ears are bad. So I got a pair of Phonak one that came with a Bluetooth device that enabled my iPhone 4 to answer thru the bluetooth device that paired to my hearing aids. When the phone calls come in or going out, both hearing aids on both side would pick up. I can hear much better that way than one ear. Even if I don't have that bluetooth device, I still can hear with both hearing aids with a push of a button. Mine is Phonak Nadia CRT 1X came with a ComPilot bluetooth device and a TV Link.