Thread: Using Verizon Droid Incredible 2 w/ Straight Talk

Phones
    Nokia 6010 (Unlocked)
    DInc2 (Unlocked)
    Carriers
    SpeakOut Canada
    Feedback Score

Using Verizon Droid Incredible 2 w/ Straight Talk

I bought a Droid Incredible 2 through CL for a great price. In fact, the price was so good that I have some suspicion as to the phone's history. I have rooted the phone and installed CM7.2. I currently use the phone on T-Mobile (GSM mode obviously) for voice and text. I've never had a data plan (wi-fi has worked fine so far)

I'm intrigued about using Straight Talk' $45 plan with this phone so that data will actually work, but after reading a little here, I'm more, not less confused.

First, I understand that this is a Verizon phone. There is a chance that Verizon may have this phone blacklisted.

What would be my best choice for using this phone with Straight Talk? What SIM is best for my application? I see that Straight Talk can use the Verizon network. Does my possibly blacklisted phone pose issues there?

Lots of questions...the answers are coming more slowly.

I'll keep reading...

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    call and ask verizon/carrier if it is blacklisted. no byop to verizon here.

Phones
    Nokia 6010 (Unlocked)
    DInc2 (Unlocked)
    Carriers
    SpeakOut Canada
    Feedback Score
    I told you I'd keep reading...

It seems like I may be out of luck. My phone supports HSDPA 900 / 2100. That won't do me any good with either a T-Mo or an AT&T SIM.

Am I reading this right?

Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    bad news......

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you think your phone is stolen the right thing to do is call Verizon and see if they can locate the rightfull owner.

The only way to use that phone on straight talk would involve changing the ESN to that of a Straight Talk Verizon phone. Google "ESN repair" or check the Boost sub forum here where they have many posts on this subject.

A safer, simpler alternative is to activate your phone on Page Plus. Their unlimited plan costs $55 but their customer service is better and they have BYOD

Phones
    Nokia 6010 (Unlocked)
    DInc2 (Unlocked)
    Carriers
    SpeakOut Canada
    Feedback Score
    I checked with Verizon today. The ESN is clean. That makes me feel a little better. Now I have another question. If I wanted to "try out" PagePlus, could I activate with them and then switch back and forth to T-Mo, simply by switching the phone from "GSM only" to "CDMA" and back? Is this possible? Would I need to pull my T-Mo SIM for CDMA use?

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If your phone only has gsm 900 & 2100 then you won't be using it on any US carrier. Those are international frequencies. Verizon has by far the best nationwide coverage.

If their coverage in your area is good I would take your phone to page plus OR you could sell your phone and purchase the Samsung Android phone Straight Talk sells for the Verizon network. I forget the name but it is $150 - 180, 3.5 inch screen, gingerbread, 1 GHz single core processor if memory serves me correctly.

Phones
    Nokia 6010 (Unlocked)
    DInc2 (Unlocked)
    Carriers
    SpeakOut Canada
    Feedback Score
    Here are the network specs.

2G Network CDMA 800 / 1900 GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network CDMA2000 1xEV-DO HSDPA 900 / 2100

I'm still curious if I can flip back and forth frpm PP to T-Mo, just by switching network modes through the menu.

Carriers
    Page Plus
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    I believe the Verizon "World Phones" that have GSM sim slots are radio locked to prevent you from using a gsm sim in the US. Outside the US you could use the sim of your choice if you get the phone unlocked. Here it will be CDMA or nothing. If someone tells you they can get it working on a GSM sim here make sure that you will get more than just talk and SMS text. Don't believe anyone has ever
    gotten data working. Page Plus will take the phone as long as it has a clean ESN. They have good plans, Verizon Prepaid coverage and support is in Ohio, not Guatamala.

Phones
    Nokia 6010 (Unlocked)
    DInc2 (Unlocked)
    Carriers
    SpeakOut Canada
    Feedback Score
    It currently works great on T-Mo to Go, but that is strictly voice & text. I've never tried data. I'm sure you're right, it wouldn't work

Carriers
    AIO Wireless (Current)
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score

Cool yes, it'll work

Quote Originally Posted by PitCritter View Post
    It currently works great on T-Mo to Go, but that is strictly voice & text. I've never tried data. I'm sure you're right, it wouldn't work
    Yes, it will work fine. T-mobile uses 1700/2100 mhz for wireless data (3G) and GSM quadband (800/850/1900/etc) for voice coverage. If it currently works for voice, you should try data as well. It'll work, I'm almost sure.
    Unlimited**

**please see terms and conditions for limits on our unlimited plans

Feedback Score
    I bought a verizon HTC Droid Incredible 2 on eBay. They said it was flashed' to be used with Straight Talk. I also bout a 45$ unlimited service card and I also purchased an AT&T straight talk compatible sim card kit to use with this droid. Can someone help me get my phone up and running and ready to go. I have absolutely no knowledge bout this kind of stuff. Help would be very appreciated