Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Note II Release Thread

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note II Release Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NHCharmedOne View Post
    I can't do as much as you guys are claiming and get that long out of the battery, if I watched 1 movie with just texts and no calls the battery makes it half a day and I've had it for a month.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using HowardForums
    If you're in a fringey LTE area, try toggling LTE, for starters. Just leave it off when you don't need it.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I seem to get twice the battery life as for the Bionic doing the same tasks. I have not tried to use the airplane mode cycling to reset the LTE connection. Still learning the capabilities of the pbone without the pen.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    So it seems that Verizon removed a few features from the phone, including Blocking Mode. A lot of people across various forums have been very disappointed and upset over it's omission. Well, it turns out that Blocking Mode is actually there, but it's just hidden.

I was playing around with one of my favorite apps Any Cut. Regrettably, Any Cut (which isn't available in the Play Store any more) doesn't work correctly on Jelly Bean, but it works enough to be able to take a look at many of the shortcuts it's able to find. And low and behold, Blocking Mode was in the list. Since Any Cut is problematic on Jelly Bean (it kind of works, but not completely), I found another app on the Play Store that operates in much the same way that Any Cut does - QuickShortcutMaker. And guess what? Blocking Mode is there and fully functional!

No root required!

Here's how to get to it:

1) Download QuickShortcutMaker from the Play Store. (Note: the app closed on me a few times while trying to use it, but it eventually worked)

2) After QuickShortcutMaker installs, open it up.

3) Type "blocking mode" in the text field. The app is pretty slow when it comes to populating the available shortcuts, so it might take a little bit. Once it finishes, tap on the first result at the top (It will say "Settings" with Blocking mode underneath it.

4) Rename the shortcut to whatever you want. It's named "Settings" by default, and I changed mine to "Blocking Mode."

5) Tap "OK."

6) You'll now have a shortcut on your homescreen that will take you right into Blocking Mode (the icon will be a cog just like the Settings icon). Open it up and and block away! (Note: the shortcut on your homescreen will be the only way to access Blocking Mode, so if you delete it, you'll have to create a new one in order to get back into the settings for it)

Known issues:

The only problem I've encountered so far is that the app will force close when trying to add contacts to the custom allowed contact list. But it seems to work fine when selecting "Favorites" as opposed to creating a new custom list. So if adding contacts to a custom list is force closing for you, add the contacts that you want to come through to your general favorites list when Blocking Mode is enabled, and then use the Favorites option in the Blocking Mode settings.
    Last edited by bsweetness; 12-02-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Is there a functional OTA FM radio?

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Is there a functional OTA FM radio?
    There's not one anywhere to be found in the stock apps or settings. I also don't see one listed in Any Cut or QuickShortcutMaker. So, if the hardware is there (and I'm not sure if it is), there isn't any functioning software for it.

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

What features were cut from the Note? And even though I highly dislike Samsung phones, I just might make the note my next phone. By the way you guys are talking, battery life is a dream on this phone and the reception isn't an issue at all. Only problem is that huge price of one ($700 off contract), and the ugly-as-hell home button. I guess I'll pick one up off craigslist or something.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I believe the reception is almost as good as my Bionic. Battery life is impressive, compared to what I was use to. Plus rooting has been achieved.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
    What features were cut from the Note? And even though I highly dislike Samsung phones, I just might make the note my next phone. By the way you guys are talking, battery life is a dream on this phone and the reception isn't an issue at all. Only problem is that huge price of one ($700 off contract), and the ugly-as-hell home button. I guess I'll pick one up off craigslist or something.
    I'm thinking along similar lines. I keep hoping Moto will boldly leapfrog Sammy and produce a handset that stands out. So far, under Google, a lot of mediocre nice.

Right now, Sansung has the best spread, bar none. And it seems to have addressed a lot of the nagging problems that once defined its devices.
    Reception, broadly improved, rivaling Moto phones in some posts.
    Battery life now *is* something to call home about.
    Audio quality -- I'm not hearing complaints.
    Plasticky feel … nobody's petfect.
    Actually, newer units do feel more solid, maybe not up to Moto standards, but much improved.
    I'm even hearing thst some folks actually *like TouchWiz.

And Sammy is pioneering good things, like 5"+ displays on "phablet‘ devices, and 2GB RAM.

Gotta luv'm.

Device(s)
    S8, G5, Samsung Note 4 DE, Note 3, Moto DROID Bionic, DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, V9m, VX8000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, AT&T PrePaid (GoPhone)
    Feedback Score
    Anyone try the rooting method listed on XDA?
    =>Why did I leave Verizon Wireless after 18 years? Find out here: Leaving Verizon after 18 years!

=> Read my reviews for the Motorola DROID MAXX, DROID Ultra, and DROID Mini.

=> VX8000 at Disney World:Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4.

Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    If you're in a fringey LTE area, try toggling LTE, for starters. Just leave it off when you don't need it.
    Mine is on tmobile it doesn't have lte lol or its not enabled.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using HowardForums
    NHCharmedOne

My opinions are mine, not yours, no one says you have to agree with them! =)

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Try toggling cellular data, then. I use ‘Data ON-OFF' to keep EVDO off when I'm not using it, mostly as a security measure.

Btw – Do you have the OTA broadcast FM radio with audio recording on your TMo GN2?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-03-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post

From what I understand, blocking mode is disabled. And Verizon has enabled the WiFi notification that is always present in the pull down notification shade.

As for the home button, if you don't like seeing the Verizon logo emblazoned on it, Steinheil has aluminum stickers that can be put onto the button to cover it up. A package of three sells on Amazon for $10 and it comes with a white one, titanium grey one, and a pink one. Also, neither Verizon nor AT&T is participating in the free 50 GB Dropbox storage promotion.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Appears vzw also killed this —
    "FM Radio with RDS, broadcast recording:
    "The Samsung N7100 Note II is equipped with an FM radio with RDS too. The interface is simple - there's a tuning dial and you can save as many as 8 stations as favorites. You can also play on the loudspeaker, but the headset is still needed as it acts as the antenna. You can record radio broadcasts as well."
    [From gsmarena review]

I have no problem with vzw providing good useful features, like the notification dropdown WiFi alert – great idea. But, when it insists on shoving them down my throat so that the most obvious way to turn them off involves voiding my warranty, that is evidence of callous disrespect of me as a consumer and of vzw's gross insufferable arrogance.

That principle applies equally to all bloatware, including the Netflix and BlockBuster apps. Let no one say vzw doesn't mean for me to use them freely -- in both senses of the word -- on my UL line if I cannot easily delete them without voiding the handset warranty.

For convenience — a few links:
    Howard's review:
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...bigger better?

CNET review:
    http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-ga...35426722<br />

AnandTech:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6386/s...view-t-mobile-

GsmArena:
    http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy...view-824p8.php

Phonearena:
    http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Sa...-Sprint_id3163

Comparison to og GNote:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08...s-galaxy-note/

Samsung GN2 page:
    http://m.samsung.com/us/the-next-big...e-ii/?cid=ppc-

Wikipedia:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_Note_II

Not sure why a carrier has to "participate" or "not participate" in the dropbox promotion? Shouldn't that be up to dtopbbox?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Probably because the carrier has to pay for the storage. If Samsung or anyone else paid for it, why wouldn't they offer it? From a business perspective its an easy way to send someone (way) over their data limit.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Could be, but lotsa other *possible* speculative reasons.
    Have anything to back up your own speculations?
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 12-03-2012 at 06:26 AM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast