Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Note II Release Thread

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Re: Samsung Galaxy Note II Release Thread

Oh and I forgot to ask, how bad is the bloatware load out in this device?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
    Oh and I forgot to ask, how bad is the bloatware load out in this device?

There isn't much more bloatware than any of the other carriers. From what I can tell, Verizon has added the following apps:

Amazon
    Amazon MP3
    Amazon Kindle
    Audible
    (apparently Verizon has a deal with Amazon to include all of Amazon's apps, except for the Amazon App Store)
    My Verizon Mobile (the one Verizon app I actually use)
    Sync (I believe this is the app formerly known as Backup Plus)
    Verizon Login
    Verizon Remote Diagnostics
    Voicemail (formerly called Visual Voicemail)
    NFL Mobile
    Viewdini
    VZW Navigator

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
    Probably because the carrier has to pay for the storage. If Samsung or anyone else paid for it, why wouldn't they offer it? From a business perspective its an easy way to send someone (way) over their data limit.

It could also be that Verizon is trying to push their own cloud backup service (they give you 500 MB for free, and charge monthly for more).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    As a side note, when I am at home, I get a strong 4G signal in my bedroom upstairs, but if I am in the living room which is on the first floor directly below my bedroom, the phone will switch back and forth between 4G and 3G. This was the case with the Rezound, and the Thunderbolt that I used before that. That said, my data transfer rates are faster with the Note II. With the Rezound, my data download speeds on 4G at home were typically in the 8-9 Mbps. On the Note II, I am getting around 15-16 Mbps. Upload speeds are much closer. On the Rezound it was about 2 Mbps and on the Note II, it is around 2-3 Mbps. There is also better pings as well. The pings on the Rezound were about 90 ms, while the pings on the Note II is around 70 ms. Comparing the results of the Note II on the LTE network to the Note II on my Time Warner cable via WiFi, on cable I am getting downloads of 19 Mbps, uploads of 3 Mbps, and pings of 30 ms.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Jseah, is any bloatware deletable? Or are all those apps locked down?

Interesting the absence of bloatware movies, NFL is lotsa data, though.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Those "pre-installed" apps can't be deleted, but with Jellybean, most of them can be disabled. When you activate the phone, many of those apps (Audible and the NFL app for example) will automatically download updates. If you go into the application manager in Settings, you can uninstall the updates, uncheck the notification box and then the disable box will appear, replacing the uninstall updates box. Once you disable the app, the app icon disappears from the applications page. Alternatively, when you are on the applications page, you can press the menu button and select Hide Applications. Then all of the application icons will show a checkbox. Check the app icons you want to hide and then press Done on the top of screen and those applications will disappear. The app itself will still be installed and take up space on your phone, but you will never be able to start the application. One thing I have noticed about the Hide Applications function. Once you hide an application, you cannot unhide it unless you actually go into the application manager in Settings, disable the app and then re-enable the app.

When I said "most", this is because a true Verizon app like the VZW Login app cannot be disabled, the Disable button doesn't appear. You don't necessarily want to disable this anyways, as this app is required in order for other apps like the My Verizon Mobile app to work. You can disable VZ Navigator though. The Voicemail app does not allow you to disable it. The Sync app does allow you to disable it, but from what I have read online, it appears that the Sync app will break the stock email app if you disable it and you have to enable it and then do a factory reset to get it to work again.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jseah View Post
    It could also be that Verizon is trying to push their own cloud backup service (they give you 500 MB for free, and charge monthly for more).
    That's just low. So they charge you for usage of their cloud, and then charge for the data used? Wow.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Talk about 'gotcha' coming and going – literally!

That's why I'm so big on SD card support in new handsets. And so down on Google for not supporting SD on the Nexi.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Backup Assistant Plus gives you 500 MB for free. For more storage, they charge $3 monthly for 25 GB, $6 monthly for 75 GB, and $10 monthly for 125 GB.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know what the hidden 'G' and 'E1' connectors are on the Note 2 (Verizon)? I was hoping for contacts for inductive charging (want to do the Touchstone hack) but they look like antenna connectors.

Thanks,
    Gentry

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Where are the connectors? If you are talking about the metal contacts for the back cover, I believe those are for the NFC. From what I understand, the NFC is built into the back cover.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Is anyone going to get the smartdock?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Waste of money. Bluetooth keyboard and a MHL cable is all you need for something like that.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Supposedly, has mouse capability (how would that work?) and HDMI. Want to hear from someone who uses it, though.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note 2
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Supposedly, has mouse capability (how would that work?) and HDMI. Want to hear from someone who uses it, though.
    The dock itself doesn't have mouse capability, but rather Android has mouse capabilities. After the success of the Asus Transformer, Google put more native support for full keyboards and mice in the system starting with ICS. You can connect a Bluetooth mouse to the Note 2 very easily (or a USB mouse via a USB OTG cable), and it gives you a mouse pointer on the screen. Left click is select (like you're tapping on something), and right click is back. I'm sure there are YouTube videos of people using a mouse with an Android phone. If not, just look at some videos of the Asus Transformer series of tablets. Those will give you a good idea of how a mouse and full-sized keyboard interact and perform with Android.

As for the smartdock, I'm going to pass due to it's high price and the fact that it would be nothing more than a novelty item for me. As Ark6 pointed out, you can already do pretty much everything the dock provides with a MHL/USB OTG cable and/or Bluetooth devices. Plus, if I'm in a place where I can sit down and have it all hooked up, chances are I'll be in a place where I have or can have my computer.

Now, if Samsung were to release a Motorola lapdock-style dock that essentially turns the Note 2 into a small Android laptop, I'd be all over that. I enjoyed my time with a lapdock when I had my RAZR MAXX after it received ICS because it presented an interface similar to an Asus Transformer except with the ability to be always online with the phone's data connection and to make/receive calls and texts through the dock. It wasn't a full computer replacement (just as using the smartdock with the Note 2 wouldn't be a full computer replacement), but it was nice to have when out. The smartdock doesn't help much when you're out and about because you need everything to hook up to it (keyboard, mouse, display, etc.). But a laptop dock would be pretty darn useful.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast