Thread: Samsung Galaxy S III unlocked phone to straight talk, will it work?

Feedback Score

Question Samsung Galaxy S III unlocked phone to straight talk, will it work?

Want to purchase a new Samsung Galaxy S III unlocked phone from ebay and use on Straight Talk plan. Will this work? What are the problems?

Phone
    SM-N900A GoPhone Walmart Special, Samsung SGH-I337 GoPhone Walmart Special
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by linbox2012 View Post
    Want to purchase a new Samsung Galaxy S III unlocked phone from ebay and use on Straight Talk plan. Will this work? What are the problems?
    If buying from eBay, be aware of the seller. You don't want to buy a blacklisted phone. Check the STICKY section of the forum

Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Make sure too that it supports the right frequency bands for the network you're using it on. 850/1900 for AT&T, 1700/1900/2100 for T-Mobile.

Feedback Score

Re: Samsung Galaxy S III unlocked phone to straight talk, will it work?

I have the the S3 unlocked international version and it works great on straight talk.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using HowardForums

Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    yeap should work with att or tmo simm of st

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellbot414 View Post
    I have the the S3 unlocked international version and it works great on straight talk.

I just bought one of these Galaxy S iii GT-I9300 (unlocked international) phones (should receive it early next week) and will be getting a Straight Talk Sim and plan. I am in So Cal, and I believe ATT has better coverage and speed where I am. When I get my sim card, the info asks if you have an ATT or Tmobile compatible phone or an unlocked GSM phone. I would assume I would choose unlocked as the type .... but I have seen some posts on the net saying to choose ATT as the phone type. What type of Sim did you get?

I'm going from a contract I've had with TMobile for years and years, from a dinosaur Motorola Rizr 8 to this S III ..... obviously coming out of the Dark ages But I just refused to bother with a high tech phone and pay a huge bill for unlimited talk, text and net .... when I started looking at Virgin, Boost, Straight Talk, etc ... and seeing I could get all that for less than what I am paying as a "valued customer" unlimited talk only contract plan I decided to make the jump. But now I have plenty to learn and catch up on .... Any suggestion appreciated. J

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The Galaxy S3 has a mini sim card. That's what I've been thinking of getting & put my pay as you go sim card in it. My regular size sim card will have to be cut to go in the GS3. YouTube tells you how to cut a sim card with a utility knife or you can get a cutter off eBay.
    Patricia Kate

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Attachment 87810Attachment 87811
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Kate View Post
    The Galaxy S3 has a mini sim card. That's what I've been thinking of getting & put my pay as you go sim card in it. My regular size sim card will have to be cut to go in the GS3. YouTube tells you how to cut a sim card with a utility knife or you can get a cutter off eBay.
    Patricia Kate
    about 6 bucks off eBay, never had to worry about ruining it. ST also sells AT&T Micro sim card. If you already got a regular sim, this is a way to go. ST T-MO only comes regular sim for now. Save the scraps, it's good for adapter.
    Last edited by Elpidio; 12-11-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: edit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    Attachment 87810Attachment 87811

about 6 bucks off eBay, never had to worry about ruining it. ST also sells AT&T Micro sim card. If you already got a regular sim, this is a way to go. ST T-MO only comes regular sim for now. Save the scraps, it's good for adapter.

Hello, and HELP!!!
    So I found the Galaxy S III GT-I9300 on, I hate to say it, but QVC. They let you pay the thing off in 5 payments, which for me is the only way I could afford it so I'm trying t figure out if I have all of my ducks in order before I take the leap and I have questions. If anyone can advice, I'd feel so much better.
    Here's the deal. I think I want to move over to straight talk, my sprint contract is up TODAY!!!!!!!, if you care to congratulate me! When I go to the "buy your sim card" page and input my zip, it says I can use an unlocked gsm 850/1900 phone compatible with tmo. I believe the phone I found is compatible, here is the info on it. (Compatible with GSM 850/900/1800/1900 2G networks; HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100 3G networks; 4G LTE regional networks), does this look like what I need to be getting? I also do not understand the part about some networks being 2g and the other being 3g, or 4g lte. I sort of looks like tmo is only 2g. I'm so confused. Is the model #- GT-19300, or is there another number I need to look for?

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

the only thing you have to make sure of is whether you have good signal with either at&t or tmobile. if walmart.com still has sims available. the phone will be good to go with either network. no LTE just pseudo 4g hspa. i'll post download speeds later. should expect between 5-6 mbps depending on network congestion n 1mbps uploads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using HowardForums
    Samsung SM-N900A 32GB on GoPhone LTE $45.00 Special
    Samsung SGH-I337 32GB on GoPhone LTE $45.00 Special

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by heidio View Post
    Hello, and HELP!!!
    So I found the Galaxy S III GT-I9300 on, I hate to say it, but QVC. They let you pay the thing off in 5 payments, which for me is the only way I could afford it so I'm trying t figure out if I have all of my ducks in order before I take the leap and I have questions. If anyone can advice, I'd feel so much better.
    Here's the deal. I think I want to move over to straight talk, my sprint contract is up TODAY!!!!!!!, if you care to congratulate me! When I go to the "buy your sim card" page and input my zip, it says I can use an unlocked gsm 850/1900 phone compatible with tmo. I believe the phone I found is compatible, here is the info on it. (Compatible with GSM 850/900/1800/1900 2G networks; HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100 3G networks; 4G LTE regional networks), does this look like what I need to be getting? I also do not understand the part about some networks being 2g and the other being 3g, or 4g lte. I sort of looks like tmo is only 2g. I'm so confused. Is the model #- GT-19300, or is there another number I need to look for?

Feedback Score
    Hi, Thanks.
    Now I'm seeing that straight talk isn't even selling the ATT sims anymore so I would have to get the tmo one and all this confusing info about tmo only getting 2g speeds is very concerning.

Phone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by heidio View Post
    Hi, Thanks.
    Now I'm seeing that straight talk isn't even selling the ATT sims anymore so I would have to get the tmo one and all this confusing info about tmo only getting 2g speeds is very concerning.
    did u check walmart.com? some folks say it could be available

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellbot414 View Post

Does your MMS work as well? in/out-going?