Thread: lg 840g locks up

Feedback Score

lg 840g locks up

So I bought the lg840g for tracfone last week, and love the phone. The touchscreen works great, happy with the internet connection, no complaints on all the "extra" features this device comes with, but I do have one problem.
    When I make a call, the screen goes black and the only way I have to bring it back up is to hold the power button for somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 seconds. The call still goes through, but basically, you cant seem to end the call yourself. Sometimes the phone flashes on and off when the call connected, but other than that, you have to either wait until the screen lights back up, at which time it asks for confirmation that you want to power down, or wait until the other party disconnects.

For example, I made a call yesterday, and noone was answering. I couldn't hit "end call" because I couldn't access it. I had to wait until I went through the power down wait, in which time the answering machine on the other end picked up & I wasted a minute.

All in all, I love the phone and losing a minute here or there is not necessarily a dealbreaker, but it just doesn';t seem right. Am I doing something wrong/is anybody else having this problem/is there a solution?

Thanks

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Have you tried pressing the volume buttons on the side to light up the display? A quick press of the on/off button should also work. Also see what others have to say about this.

Feedback Score
    you can turn it to off, will drain the battery quicker, but at least it doesn't go off.

Feedback Score
    So,pretty sure I got this figured out. The manual on LG's website for thes 840 Spyder 2 (not this tracfone, a completely different phone), says that phone has a proximity sensor to shut down the touchscreen when the phone is at your ear so you dont activate something while talking. While I cant find abything saying it, It appears as if the 840g has it aswell. I made this worse by installing a screen protector. I took the screen protector off, and it now works as it should. Apparently it was sensing the protector as if the phone was at one's ear.

Feedback Score
    by the way, no, power button, volume, etc did nothing for this. I guess this means either accept this issue, buy the phone specific screen protector when it comes out (I used a universal and trimmed it to fit), or do not use a screen protector. Think I'll use it until I find a specific one, though. I keep my phones in my pocket, so a touchscreen had me real worried, as screens on my other phones have gotten pretty beat up. Thanks for all the replies!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The screen protector acts like an insulator to your bare touch, same as wearing a glove over your fingers.

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecheapfones View Post
    So,pretty sure I got this figured out. The manual on LG's website for thes 840 Spyder 2 (not this tracfone, a completely different phone), says that phone has a proximity sensor to shut down the touchscreen when the phone is at your ear so you dont activate something while talking. While I cant find abything saying it, It appears as if the 840g has it aswell. I made this worse by installing a screen protector. I took the screen protector off, and it now works as it should. Apparently it was sensing the protector as if the phone was at one's ear.
    Had the same problem which wasn't present at first but as the screen protector got opaque it worsened. Took it off and problem cured. Thank you soooooooo much.

Feedback Score

Boston lg840g screen blanking fixed

Quote Originally Posted by ilikecheapfones View Post
    Had the same problem with our LG840g; Radio Shack thought it was a software glitch and removed/reinstalled the battery, which appeared to work, but only because it must've nudged the screen protector. Problem re-occurred, and i went online and found this solution. Made sense, since the protector (which was phone-specific) had started to lift off in the corner. So, stripped it off, and voila! Blanking now is triggered only when the phone is at the ear, rather than the moment a call starts. Thanks! (Love those instant, free fixes!).

Feedback Score

Screen goes black during call

I have the same issue right after I press the call button while placing a call screen goes black; however I do NOT use a screen protector; never did, and still have this issue every time I try to place a call.
    Tapping Power button, or volume key does not correct issue; holding power button in, & waiting for the power off option; selecting "no" before screen re-engages, is the only temp-fix for this issue.
    Cell did not do this at first, just started doing it, and now this happens every-time.
    Last edited by Wendyg5435; 08-19-2014 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Forgot part of sentence

Feedback Score

lg840g lock up fix

The proximity sensor is the culprit in the 840g screen blink problem. I removed the case from mine and it's OK now. I'm going o enlarge the hole in my case to see if that works. Thanks to you posters for revealing that solution..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tekmark88 View Post
    The proximity sensor is the culprit in the 840g screen blink problem. I removed the case from mine and it's OK now. I'm going o enlarge the hole in my case to see if that works. Thanks to you posters for revealing that solution..
    Proximity sensor is above the screen about half way between the speaker and right edge. There are two small red dots that can only bee seen in very bright light. Even clear screen protector film will make it not work. There are protectors that have a cut out there.