Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New LG840G-overcharged for text?!

Feedback Score

New LG840G-overcharged for text?!

I sent a few texts at .3, now all of the sudden charged .9! Anyone know whyor how to fix it?

I just activated my new LG840g phone on Thursday, (transfered number and minutes from old phone) and just today, I was charged .9 for a regular reply to a text message. The other texts that I made were .3 on Thur and Friday which I understood to be the correct charge. I didn't send any pictures or anything "fancy", just simply replied to a text from my daughter who has texted me before. I tried to call tracfone but they are "too busy to take my call"-ugh! Thanks in advance for any help.

I like this new phone compared to my old one. I got it mainly to text my children who are embarassed to answer in front of friends when mom calls so it's important that I am able to text for .3! I am still trying to set up email that doesn't work and a few other things but mainly I care about the texting.

Thanks again!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Go into the prepaid menu to code entry and enter *#08
    this will show the amount of minutes each standard length SMS deducts.
    and what each section of a long SMS deducts.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, it says MO SMS 0.30 and MT SMS 0.30 but still charged me 0.90! Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    There have been reports that using the reply button will send the message as an mms. This is the fancy one for sending pictures, etc., and goes through a different mail system and costs more. The regular text messaging is sms and is for the simple stuff. This reply business might be a bug or it might be a deliberate trick. Anyway, avoid the reply button and see what happens. It's a shame that it has come down to this inconvenience.

Feedback Score
    I just activated yesterday with a LG 840G. I just tested using the Reply button with a received SMS and was charged .30 for sending a reply. So my unit is charging .30 for both sending and receiving SMS text messages.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie_h View Post
    I just activated yesterday with a LG 840G. I just tested using the Reply button with a received SMS and was charged .30 for sending a reply. So my unit is charging .30 for both sending and receiving SMS text messages.
    What is your software version and your hardware version? Maybe the different versions act differently.

Prepaid > Settings > Phone > Phone Information > Software Version and Hardware Version

Mine is Software V10b Hardware 1.0

Feedback Score
    Looks like I have the same, Hardware Version 1.0, Software Version V10b.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fidoprincess View Post
    I just activated my new LG840g phone on Thursday, and just today, I was charged .9 for a regular reply to a text message. The other texts that I made were .3 on Thur and Friday which I understood to be the correct charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie_h View Post
    See the OPs quote. It was correct for the first 2 days, then on day 3 it was wrong.

So lets see how yours is doing tomorrow...

Feedback Score
    Hi All, thanks so much for all of your tips and thoughts. Sorry to be MIA but I have just been trying to figure it out myself and called tracfone a few times but it was too busy to take my call. I finally got through when I called tracfone today and they don't know why that happened and we did a few more texts and they were all at .3. The rep said unless I went over 5 pages, it shouldn't charge me anymore than the .3 so I am just going to watch and see. I "thought" they could see my account and see that .9 was deducted but they claimed not to be able to see that?

I also asked for help setting up my email and no one could do it even after I was passed to a supervisor. I'll start a new thread and see if I can get help with that. Thanks again and I'm just crossing my fingers to not see anymore .9 charges but I have done reply and that didn't make it overcharge either.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I "thought" they could see my account and see that .9 was deducted but they claimed not to be able to see that?

For whatever reason, that's not how they setup the system. All they know is your end of service date and the last time you added minutes. The phone itself tracks airtime usage.

That's why it's important to keep track of Parameter 0 and 30. Without them you can't verify the airtime on the phone. If you loose the phone or it's damaged, that's the only record of your remaining minutes.

If you know both, you can transfer service to a new phone easily, even without the old phone.
    Without them, you're at the mercy of the CS rep and whether they believe/trust you.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    I also asked for help setting up my email and no one could do it even after I was passed to a supervisor. I'll start a new thread and see if I can get help with that.
    The CS reps generally have no experience with the phones. They've likely never even seen the phone, let alone held it or push buttons.

Like most CS groups these days, they have their scripts to follow and a database to search. That's all.

Feedback Score
    Yes, I could tell they didn't know anything about the phone other than what we can see with the user manual. I did get the email to work-yippie! It was just a matter of changing some of the advanced settings. What I didn't realize was that it wouldn't work the same as my "regular" email and now I get a bunch of spam-silly!

I did get one game but how do I get more that are not from tracfone? I wait in my car a lot so it seems like a better option than carrying the ipad around. I had over 5K minutes from carrying them over through the years and figured I'd splurge and got the mahjong one.

I want to download that opera mini but am nervous about how to make the edits mentioned in the other post. Are most of you doing that? If I do download that, can I get other games not from tracfone.

Also, what's the deal with trying to search on google and the keyboard disappears? I'm back to using the number pad for the letters. Am I doing something wrong?

I really do like this phone though! Thanks so much.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    You can get apps from other places with the stock browser. Just go to other sites, like getjar.com, mobilerated.com, mobiles24.com, umnet.com etc.

Opera is a good choice for general browsing though as it does some stuff to minimize data usage. So pages load faster, and cost less. Your best best is to just download the edited JAD file linked earlier.

Feedback Score
    Thank you ST Dog! I'll look into some of those sites. I am so new to having a phone like this and not sure of all the ins and outs.

Do you know if I am doing something wrong when I use the browser with google and it won't let me use the querty keyboard? Is the keyboard in the opera mini a querty? If so, that would be reason enough to download it. Also, do you know if there is a way to lock it into the landscape mode? I guess I'm so used to the ipad and ipod turning when ever I want that this seems awkward but I am really hating the typing on the number pad which is the whole reason I got the phone! Thanks again.

I really do like this phone though and bought one for my mother for a Christmas gift so the more I can figure out before I give it to her, the more she might like it. She is 78 and addicted to her ipad but doesn't have a phone and I think she needs one now that she is older and I'm trying to keep tabs on her-lol!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    FP, sorry, I don't have a touchscreen phone so I can't help with most of those issues.

I do know Opera has a setting for landscape mode, which may be what you want for the display.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast