Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What exactly does Virgin Mobile ID Essentials do?

Feedback Score

Question What exactly does Virgin Mobile ID Essentials do?

It is downloaded but I haven't installed it. Is it going to completely change or re-skin my phone's home screen? Is there a preview image somewhere that shows what it looks like? I kind of like the basic look that my Samsung Galaxy Reverb came with with the clock/weather up top.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Natsatbat View Post
    It is downloaded but I haven't installed it. Is it going to completely change or re-skin my phone's home screen? Is there a preview image somewhere that shows what it looks like? I kind of like the basic look that my Samsung Galaxy Reverb came with with the clock/weather up top.
    It will clear the TouchWiz launcher and give you a stock android launcher with the VM apps on all the home screens (like how some of the earlier VM android phones came). You can always install it to get the notification to go away, then go into apps-> Launcher -> clear defaults. Then when you press home select TouchWiz launcher and check the box that says use default and it will keep the TouchWiz.

Stock with VMID:

TW:

Nova:

Feedback Score
    Wow, thanks. Do most folks prefer TouchWiz or the VM Essentials? If I try the VM pack and go back to TouchWiz, can I then later reinstall the Essentials pack? (Sorry, total Android newbie here.)

Carrier
    Sprint, Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Wow, thanks. Do most folks prefer TouchWiz or the VM Essentials? If I try the VM pack and go back to TouchWiz, can I then later reinstall the Essentials pack? (Sorry, total Android newbie here.)
    I prefer touch wiz because its UI is great and lot better than stock android but it does lagg after booting the phone. Yes you can go back and forth between those. You just have to goto settings and clear data.
    Pathetically slow Sprint's abysmal 3G network

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    If you can avoid installing it, do avoid it. The install will completely remodel your home screen, replacing some of the apps with links to their pages in the Google Play store. I let it install after I had my phone set up exactly as I wanted it and wished afterward that I hadn't. It took several days to put everything back in order.

The only improvement it made IMO is the default wallpaper, which is depicted in all but the last screenshot in ttuvm's post #2 above.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Churner View Post
    If you can avoid installing it, do avoid it. The install will completely remodel your home screen, replacing some of the apps with links to their pages in the Google Play store. I let it install after I had my phone set up exactly as I wanted it and wished afterward that I hadn't. It took several days to put everything back in order.
    So VM essentials actually deletes some of the stock apps? That stinks.

Feedback Score

The only improvement it made IMO is the default wallpaper, which is depicted in all but the last screenshot in ttuvm's post #2 above.

It doesn't replace anything. If you switch back to TW everything is back the way you left it.

Phones
    Chaser is my main, Rumor 2 as my backup...Samsung M535, the Arc, the Snapper, The Vox 8610
    Motorola v60i, Nokia 5180i (both retired after 2 years)
    Nokia 1221, Motorola v170
    Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    If I don't want it at all, how do I make it stop asking me to install it?
    "If it's for freeeeee, it's for meeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill-o View Post
    If I don't want it at all, how do I make it stop asking me to install it?
    Is this on the Reverb? What is weird is that it has never asked me to install the ID pack on my Reverb. I switched from TW to the Nova launcher, you should just be able to switch back if you install another launcher like that.

Carriers
    Virgin Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    So VM essentials actually deletes some of the stock apps? That stinks.
    Not quite. It replaces them on the home screen with links to their pages on the Google Play store. The apps remain installed on the phone, but in order to regain access to them on the phone, you have to delete the links and drag the apps onto the home screen.

Quote Originally Posted by ttuvm View Post
    It doesn't replace anything. If you switch back to TW everything is back the way you left it.
    I don't know how to do this. I see nothing in the ID app that allows disabling it, just an option to switch to other ID packs. Explain in more detail how to switch back, please.

Carrier
    T-Mobile Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    You can go into Apps then manage apps and scroll down to Mobile ID and clear Data. That will turn off the App unless you reboot your phone or turn it off, then on. Another approach (more radical) would be to download another Launcher. Hola Launcher is based on Android 4.04. If you use that Launcher, Mobile ID won't function. A third approach would be to root your phone and delete the App.

I've used method 1 and 2, but I like the stock launcher better (on my Kyocera Rise) so I've stuck with method 1 (clearing the cache) since I don't turn my phone off.

PS I never installed that Fascist App. to begin with, but I was getting prompts to do so.

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    Not quite. It replaces them on the home screen with links to their pages on the Google Play store. The apps remain installed on the phone, but in order to regain access to them on the phone, you have to delete the links and drag the apps onto the home screen.

I don't know how to do this. I see nothing in the ID app that allows disabling it, just an option to switch to other ID packs. Explain in more detail how to switch back, please.
    It will clear the TouchWiz launcher and give you a stock android launcher with the VM apps on all the home screens (like how some of the earlier VM android phones came). You can always install it to get the notification to go away, then go into apps-> Launcher -> clear defaults. Then when you press home select TouchWiz launcher and check the box that says use default and it will keep the TouchWiz
    That's the easiest way. Once the default is set for TW, it shouldn't switch back to ID. Same can be done to switch back to ID later if you like. It may rearrange some apps or widgets, so they may need to be put back on the homescreen.
    LG Nexus⁴ -- Beanstalk Kit-Kat 4.4.4_r2 -- LTE + ART enabled
    Moto G ------- Stock KitKat -- 4.4.3 -- with ART
    Acer A100 -- GodDroid CM10 4.1.2 @1.5ghz
    Old: F3, Blaze 4g, SIII, OV, MT, Rise, Elite

Feedback Score
    It will clear the TouchWiz launcher and give you a stock android launcher with the VM apps on all the home screens (like how some of the earlier VM android phones came). You can always install it to get the notification to go away, then go into apps-> Launcher -> clear defaults. Then when you press home select TouchWiz launcher and check the box that says use default and it will keep the TouchWiz.
    This is probably another dumb question but I cannot find the "apps-> Launcher -> clear defaults" option. (Actually I cannot find the "Launcher" app.) If I tap the Apps icon on the home screen I don't see a Launcher app listed among all the icons. If I go to Settings -> Application Manager from the home screen I do not see a Launcher option their either.

/edit: Ok, I found it under Settings -> Application Manager. I swear it wasn't there before when I looked!

Phone
    Nexus⁴,Moto G
    Carriers
    T-Mo monthly4g, H2O
    Feedback Score
    This is probably another dumb question but I cannot find the "apps-> Launcher -> clear defaults" option. (Actually I cannot find the "Launcher" app.) If I tap the Apps icon on the home screen I don't see a Launcher app listed among all the icons. If I go to Settings -> Application Manager from the home screen I do not see a Launcher option their either.

/edit: Ok, I found it under Settings -> Application Manager. I swear it wasn't there before when I looked!
    Yeah, you have to tab over or swipe to 'all' to find it. As the app manager defaults to downloaded apps.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugatti Veyron View Post
    I prefer touch wiz because its UI is great and lot better than stock android but it does lagg after booting the phone. Yes you can go back and forth between those. You just have to goto settings and clear data.
    I like the look of TW, but I'm concerned by the mention of lag. Do other people here find that the Reverb lags with TW enabled?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast