Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: To port or not to port to Straight Talk?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    115
    Feedback Score
    0

    To port or not to port to Straight Talk?

    I'm wondering whether I should port my number to Straight Talk and whether there is a real risk.

    I've had my cell phone number for many, many years. I've not heard good things about Straight Talk's outsourced customer service. The difficulty in determining and confirming a liberal grace period in the event your sim card is deactivated (especially by mistake) is also not exactly reassuring. I've heard it's 30 days from their FAQ but their terms of use seems to say it could be instantly - hard to tell.

    It would be much easier for me since I already have a Google number I use with my current carrier. Using Straight Talk by porting my current number to Google (I'd have to open another Google Mail account I guess) would mean that I'd have 3 numbers and AFAIK I can only have 2 numbers integrated properly on the phone. Wondering what the experience here and consensus is regarding porting your valuable cell number to Straight Talk.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Posts
    166
    Phone
    LG L35G / Plantronics ML20
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (formerly AT&T, Alltel, Verizon, and CellularOne)
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just ported my number that I have had for over 15 years (you can see from the carriers I've listed ...didn't include Verizon simply because it was 2 years of dissatisfaction...that I've moved it around). Did it this weekend going from AT&T. Took a hair less than 2 hours. No issues at all As a new ST customer, I was happy with the glitch free move.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,873
    Phones
    Nokia E71
    Nokia E71
    Iphone 3g
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    if you have had that number for that long and it is a part of you you best port it to gv or stick with what service you have now.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    115
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by cooter55 View Post
    if you have had that number for that long and it is a part of you you best port it to gv or stick with what service you have now.
    I've had my 2 cell phone numbers for 5 and 12 years. Why do you suggest going to GV or staying with my current provider? Right now I'm with Verizon and it's costing me $75 per month for only 450 minutes, 1000 text messages and unlimited data with significant discounts. Saving $30/mo seems like a great idea - what's your apprehension?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    164
    Feedback Score
    0
    You can port to your current GV # and maintain both #s. It will be a pain though.

    Just wondering if GV is gonna be free next year

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6
    Feedback Score
    0
    I ported my 10 year old number to Straight Talk without any issues. The ports usually takes about 2 hours during business hours on a weekday. I would recommend not doing the port during the weekend since it can take them longer.
    Make sure you have all of the normal information like the "Account Number" and "Password/PIN" so that the process is smooth. Until the port is completed, you should be able to use your old cellphone provider. Your old provider will stop working once the port is finished.
    Also, after you get comfortable with the service, you can about $3 to $4 on the refills by buying the 3 months refills. Just make sure that you like Straigh Talk before commiting for the 3 months since there are no refunds on refills.
    Welcome to the family!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,263
    Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    I've had my 2 cell phone numbers for 5 and 12 years. Why do you suggest going to GV or staying with my current provider? Right now I'm with Verizon and it's costing me $75 per month for only 450 minutes, 1000 text messages and unlimited data with significant discounts. Saving $30/mo seems like a great idea - what's your apprehension?
    you started the i am worried thread. you should weigh the pros and cons of postpaid vs prepaid. if you let the service expire even if by mistake its your fault. it is prepaid. you should understand the concept before coming over.

    i am happy with the service. i ported to gv and use what ever number i am assigned. i had my own reasons for that.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    115
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    you started the i am worried thread. you should weigh the pros and cons of postpaid vs prepaid. if you let the service expire even if by mistake its your fault. it is prepaid. you should understand the concept before coming over.
    Utter rubbish. In the world of automation, having your credit card expire or be canceled can take time to remedy. Every reputable service acknowledges this and hence you're able to have some risk free ability to correct. For virtually every prepaid service that I reviewed - all reputable - there was at least a 30 day grace period for which you kept your number and also that you owned the rights to your number to move. And what if you went on vacation for 2 weeks - could you temporarily disconnect your service? I can with most carriers but find it difficult to get to ST.

    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    i am happy with the service. i ported to gv and use what ever number i am assigned. i had my own reasons for that.
    What are your reasons for porting to GV and why would you do so? It's slightly more challenging to do so. That's what this thread is about - why you would or would not want to port your cell number to Straight Talk.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    3,341
    Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    Utter rubbish. In the world of automation, having your credit card expire or be canceled can take time to remedy. Every reputable service acknowledges this and hence you're able to have some risk free ability to correct. For virtually every prepaid service that I reviewed - all reputable - there was at least a 30 day grace period for which you kept your number and also that you owned the rights to your number to move. And what if you went on vacation for 2 weeks - could you temporarily disconnect your service? I can with most carriers but find it difficult to get to ST.


    What are your reasons for porting to GV and why would you do so? It's slightly more challenging to do so. That's what this thread is about - why you would or would not want to port your cell number to Straight Talk.
    If your PHONE NUMBER is very important to you, GV is an option to keep your number as long as you want it. Wherever you acquire a new number, ie, ST giving you based on your zip code, you just need to point it to your GV. I've had my number for something like 15 years and with the incompetent CS@ ST has, I, for one, would not trust them porting my number to ST. I wish you stroll thru the many problems with HOFO members losing their number for some unknown reason. (alphamale-b) is just giving you an option, its your choice to take or not.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    35
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd320 View Post
    Just wondering if GV is gonna be free next year
    I'm not sure what this would have to do with the decision. The call forwarding aspect of GV will be free. Google has not however announced if they are going to charge for calls made using GV to US/Canada.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    115
    Feedback Score
    0
    Legitimate question - if Google Voice isn't free then it doesn't pay to have Straight Talk with Google Voice so that you can get double charged for using a voice transcription email service.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    3,341
    Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    Legitimate question - if Google Voice isn't free then it doesn't pay to have Straight Talk with Google Voice so that you can get double charged for using a voice transcription email service.
    I think it cost something like $20.00 to register. It's for people who don't want to display their personal numbers and most important, to protect that said number. Ultimately, only you can decide. In todays economy, you don't get something for nothing.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    1,377
    Feedback Score
    0

    To port or not to port to Straight Talk?

    Ummm no. Google voice IS free...there's just a fee if u port a number in. And u can't do that for free anywhere. So basically if ur a *********** about your beloved number, then u gotta pay 20 lousy bucks.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    3,341
    Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn744 View Post
    Ummm no. Google voice IS free...there's just a fee if u port a number in. And u can't do that for free anywhere. So basically if ur a *********** about your beloved number, then u gotta pay 20 lousy bucks.
    Yeah, 20 bucks. I'm also a Extreme CHEAPSCAPE, but to protect my number, 20 bucks is *#$@#$%^&*

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    115
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    I think it cost something like $20.00 to register. It's for people who don't want to display their personal numbers and most important, to protect that said number. Ultimately, only you can decide. In todays economy, you don't get something for nothing.
    I understand perfectly about today's economy and how this all works. But I didn't understand why you ported your number to Google Voice instead of just porting your number to ST and then getting another Google Voice number that you can give out to whomever you want without disclosing your actual phone number. Perhaps you prefer not to use GV for phone calls so this number appears and when people call you back it's through GV. I prefer the other way around so that when I call, most know who is calling and then on the occasions I don't want them to have my private number I use GV.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. port to Straight Talk then back??? Can it be done?
    By prgls163 in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 05:57 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-09-2011, 12:22 AM
  3. delay porting from Straight Talk
    By Guest 250 in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
  4. Porting active Straight Talk phone to P+
    By voohere in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-24-2010, 10:08 PM
  5. Porting from Straight Talk? Phone suggestions?
    By Deosil in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks