Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PayLo $15 for 90 Days Will No Longer be Available

Feedback Score
    Update: After I requested the change from $15/90 days to $20/90 days, I received two emails saying that

QUOTE:
    Dear Customer,
    Thanks for registering your credit/debit card. Your monthly charge will automatically be charged to the payment method on file each month.
    Now, using your service will be easier than ever.
    UNQUOTE:

Yes, it will be easier than ever.... NOT!!!
    Are they changing me to a monthly plan? First they don't allow me to change the auto topup amount online; when I called to change the topup amount every 90 days, they tell me I'll be charged monthly????
    What kind of customer service is this? They sure want me to be their customer. The service is definitely gone downhill since the acquisition of VM by Sprint. They may have decided that PayLo Customers are not worth the trouble and want to get rid of them. The current offering by PlatinumTel is looking better everyday....

Quote Originally Posted by prepaidCellPhon View Post
    I had the same problem. I had to call support to up the amount from $15 every 90 days to $20 every 90 days. Reps claimed that Web site access to change this is not available because of "changing to the new system". I think this is just an excuse to raise rates and maximize revenue by limiting customer choices. If the available choices are still competitive and customer service is not rude it may be OK; otherwise there could be mass exodus to other more competitive carrier. At the moment, PlatinumTel looked pretty good compared to VM in terms of pay as you go plans, but sometimes you don't know until you actually try each one.

Feedback Score
    My account now shows no plan whatsoever. But it does still show my balance and the phone is working so I've decided not to touch a thing. Because I suspected they are using this switch to force us onto monthly plans. (I've been on the old minute2minute plan for years.)

I did have my auto topup go through just fine on March 28. I have seen on another forum that they are moving their customer management from the VM system to the Sprint computer system and that this gets triggered when you make a payment. I'm just glad that I don't actually need the phone because people on monthly plans seem to be losing all service until they force VM to restart their month. But if they force me into paying monthly, I will be using my account balance to buy some phones and put them up on ebay and drop VM.

(Our second phone hasn't needed to make a payment in many months, and its account still lists its plan properly as the old 18cents plan.)

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile PayLo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzytoo View Post
    I have an old flip phone on the minute2minute plan and my balance was up there, too. I bought one of the Android phones and use it as a mobile computer --- wifi only. I've had no problems doing that without activating the phone. (I just hit cancel every time it tries to auto-connect to activate, which is just once each time you turn it on.) I haven't tried to use it as a phone but you might be able to with google voice or some app..
    SO HAPPY i stumbled on this forum! Had a hair-raising experience with VM CS and thought I would ask a few questions here. All my settings, payment history etc has been wiped from the system as well as everyone else's, it seems. I wasnt even in the system until I called and worked thru 3 engineers
    As you know there are limited phones available for pay-lo plans. I am curious about the stated Android phone/wifi experience. What Android phone did you get? Can you get? Can you use it for camera and then when in wifi range send pics to gmail address or the like? Can you surf the net w/out activating? I have a $300 balance that is keeping me from switching just yet, and would like to get something where I could take good photos and send them in emails. Better yet, post to FB with an Android app. But dont want to pay for data plans. SO am not sure where "wifi" comes into the discussion. And does "activate' mean that you register the phone w/ VM and start it on a plan?
    Also:
    For auto Top-Up, try logging into your account and then clicking "Settings & Preferences." For me, this brings up a page where one of the headings is "CHANGE AUTO TOP-UP SETTINGS." Below that is an "EDIT NOW" link. Clicking on that link should bring up a window that will allow you to modify your auto Top-Up setting.
    FYI There are no links in my settings / preferences page to do ANYTHING to the auto top-up settings. I looked under every conceivable place to look. I can edit my payment method but cannot see what my current top up plan is nor can I change a thing. I am on the 18 cents/minute plan.
    The promo code sent out did NOT WORK when I tried to manually top up.

Feedback Score
    I bought the HTC Evo 3d last summer because it has a big screen. Basically, it connects to wifi just as a laptop computer does. Each time you turn on the phone a box will come on screen saying it is connecting to VM to activate, meaning register and set up a plan, but you DO NOT have to do that. Just hit cancel. You can use the camera just fine. You would have to be within range of some wifi (home, starbucks, public library etc) to use anything requiring internet access. But the GPS works just fine without any VM plan or wifi. (To download apps from the Google Play store you will need an account with them but if you have gmail you already do.) To buy a phone, you go to the VM website, put the one you want in your cart and then, if you're logged into your account, under payment options when you check out you should find "Use cash balance." You do have to have enough in there to cover the full cost of what you're buying, but there's no sales tax.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the CS.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile PayLo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzytoo View Post
    I bought the HTC Evo 3d last summer because it has a big screen. ....(To download apps from the Google Play store you will need an account with them but if you have gmail you already do.) .
    Thanks Izzy! This may not be ok /off topic for this forum, but I am unfamiliar with these new phones. Really want to use up my VM $$$ and get a new phone. Do you know if I could download a google play app via wifi that might allow me to send pics via emails and/or post to FB? How is the camera quality with the HTC EVO?
    Meanwhile I will scoot over to the Google store and see what I can learn there. I have a chromebook (AWESOME) so am pretty familiar w/ googleville

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MissRed View Post
    Thanks Izzy! This may not be ok /off topic for this forum, but I am unfamiliar with these new phones. Really want to use up my VM $$$ and get a new phone. Do you know if I could download a google play app via wifi that might allow me to send pics via emails and/or post to FB? How is the camera quality with the HTC EVO?
    Meanwhile I will scoot over to the Google store and see what I can learn there. I have a chromebook (AWESOME) so am pretty familiar w/ googleville
    If you have the Facebook app on the phone, it will allow you to post pictures directly through the app. Also, you can send pictures to/with a variety of email programs (I primarily use Yahoo), upload to Flickr or another online sharing site, etc.

Basically once you take a picture, you select it in your "Gallery" and choose to Share it. A whole list of options will come up, based on the apps you have. Also, since the pictures save to a micro SD card, you can transfer them off the card to your Chromebook (I'm assuming it has an SD card slot?) and work with them from there as well.

I guess this is all somewhat off-topic, but I'd say it would definitely be a good use of your account balance. If you're so inclined, you could also buy a phone and resell it to recover some of your balance. If you wait until phones are on sale, you may even be able to turn a little profit

Feedback Score
    Update: May/3/2013:
    I received in the mail the confirmation from VM that my auto topup every 90 days has been changed from $15 to $20/90 days so the email from before was just a boiler plate auto response. I guess the only change is the increase from $15/90 days to $20/90 days or equivalently $10/45 days.
    VM should allow their PayGo customers to use android phone as well. They would probably pick up new customers if they do that.

Update: After I requested the change from $15/90 days to $20/90 days, I received two emails saying that

QUOTE:
    Dear Customer,
    Thanks for registering your credit/debit card. Your monthly charge will automatically be charged to the payment method on file each month.
    Now, using your service will be easier than ever.
    UNQUOTE:

Yes, it will be easier than ever.... NOT!!!
    Are they changing me to a monthly plan? First they don't allow me to change the auto topup amount online; when I called to change the topup amount every 90 days, they tell me I'll be charged monthly????
    What kind of customer service is this? They sure want me to be their customer. The service is definitely gone downhill since the acquisition of VM by Sprint. They may have decided that PayLo Customers are not worth the trouble and want to get rid of them. The current offering by PlatinumTel is looking better everyday....

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile PayLo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by aml1025 View Post
    If you have the Facebook app on the phone, it will allow you to post pictures directly through the app. Also, you can send pictures to/with a variety of email programs (I primarily use Yahoo), upload to Flickr or another online sharing site, etc.
    Tnx aml1025 - so you would agree I can buy the phone from VM and use it as a camera, and once in range of a wifi connection, I can upload a photo. Or transfer via blutooth to my mac or chromebook. Or use the SD card to swap, f the phone has an SD card? all w/out getting a data plan? that would be great! And as you said, a good use of my excess $$$ that I have to spend or lose. Trying to decide if I want a Samsung Galaxy II once they are back in stock.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile PayLo
    Feedback Score
    Update: May/3/2013:
    I received in the mail the confirmation from VM that my auto topup every 90 days has been changed from $15 to $20/90 days so the email from before was just a boiler plate auto response. I guess the only change is the increase from $15/90 days to $20/90 days or equivalently $10/45 days.
    VM should allow their PayGo customers to use android phone as well. They would probably pick up new customers if they do that.
    SO agree w/ that last statement! I am just happy that VM gives you a dollar credit in the store for every dollar you spend!
    Meanwhile I too had problems finding the Autopay links now the system is upgraded and submitted a help desk request. They credited my acct w/ the $20 as per the email and also switched me to $20/90 days. The bloilerplate email I then received said
    'Dear Customer,
    Thanks for registering your credit/debit card. Your monthly charge will automatically be charged to the payment method on file each month. "
    Am waiting for a confirmation email that the one sent from the help desk contains the correct info; that is:
    Thanks for contacting Virgin Mobile Customer Care.
    We successfully updated your payment settings to the $20 Automatic Top Up every 90 days.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile PayLo
    Feedback Score
    Just got my eail confirmation that billing is NOT monthly despite boilerplate email "
    We reviewed your account and we can confirm that you have a card set up
    for $20 every 90 days, and not monthly, since your last payment was
    processed on 5/4/2013, your next payment will be on 08/02/2013.

Device(s)
    Samsung A157
    Carrier(s)
    LycaMobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
    I too got the suprise $20 email; I did use it as my 90days was nearing anyway. It added $20 & 90days to my phone. . .
    Unfortunately, my experience with this increase has not been nearly as satisfactory. When I got the e-mail announcement that the system was changed, I proactively changed the auto-Top-Up amount from $15 to $20 for each of my two accounts. Apparently because I did this before they sent out the messages, I did not get a message with the $20 offer. In the case of both accounts, the Top-Up did not take place. I waited a few days, called customer service, managed to make it through the auto-response system, and talked to a service representative, who performed the Top-Up, which was charged to my credit card. When I did this for the second account last week, I mentioned to the representative that I had heard that some persons who had been paying $15 for 90 days had received an offer of $20 but that I had not, possibly because I had been proactive. She added $20 to each of my accounts. I then told her that if I had received the e-mail offer, I could have timed the application of the $20 amounts so that it would have extended the accounts for 90 days, i.e., the application of the two $20 amounts to each account would have provided 180 days of service. She said she would extend both of the accounts for an additional 90 days. However, when I looked at the accounts on the web site, I could see that the $20 had been added, but the end date had not been changed. I waited a few days and called back again today. The person I spoke with today said that because it was a credit, he could not extend the expiration date. Consequently, I feel like I'm out $40 because I need the days a lot more than I need the money.

I've been with Virgin Mobile for over eight years, but Sprint's recent actions such as doing away with the auto-pay discount and the complete system change mess have made considering other providers such as Spot Mobile seem rather attractive.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    New to this forum, but we still use the Service Preserver option of adding $90 at one time which gives us minutes for 365 days. Would this solve people's problems with the new increase. From everything I read with the new changes, the Service Preserver is still in place.

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    SO HAPPY i stumbled on this forum! Had a hair-raising experience with VM CS and thought I would ask a few questions here. All my settings, payment history etc has been wiped from the system as well as everyone else's, it seems. I wasnt even in the system until I called and worked thru 3 engineers
    Am I screwed or is there any hope for me? i've just found my account deactivated, wiped out.

I've been on minute2minute for years. I've been on auto pay the whole time $20/90days, I didn't get the $5 discount like most, don't know why, but that was okay; April I got a notice about a payment due. odd since I'm on autopay. I called CS and they said it was a mistake, Fine, I'd heard about their billing issues. The I received those Broadband2Go payment due notices (4) which i don't have, then the message that this was a mistake. In June, I got another due payment notice for my regular PayLo plan. i casually checked my account and it seemed fine I still had a $270 balance after i used part of my unused balance to buy a Samsung Victory. Yesterday, when i tried to use my phone I discovered it had been deactivated.

I got a standard email message back from CS when i inquired last night. It said everything is lost and i can reactivate, etc. Basically, it sounds like I'm a new customer to them. Is there _any way to get my old # and my remaining balance back? What happened to the autopay, why didn't it kick in?

I've been planning on going B2Go with my Victory to use up the balance but have been procrastinating. Too late?
    Who/where is the right contact so I don't just spin wheels?

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile PayLo
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Am I screwed or is there any hope for me? i've just found my account deactivated, wiped out.
    ...I got a standard email message back from CS when i inquired last night. It said everything is lost and i can reactivate, etc. Basically, it sounds like I'm a new customer to them. Is there _any way to get my old # and my remaining balance back? What happened to the autopay, why didn't it kick in?
    As I mentioned before, the emails often contain erroneous info. I would suggest calling CS and walking it up the chain if you need to. Once I called the, tho, they were able to reactivate my pay-lo plan and auto pay. It may be too late tho if your phone has already been deactivated!

Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It may be too late tho if your phone has already been deactivated!
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I should have called with the June notice but I got lulled into complacency after the false April/May notices and B2Go billing notices. I blame myself for not noticing the changes to Pay2Go but their communication really stinks and I wasn't monitoring this forum closely just the general VM forum.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast