Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: Nexus 4 with Straight Talk T-Mobile

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    106
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0

    Nexus 4 with Straight Talk T-Mobile

    Straight Talk insists I have to go with AT&T on the Nexus 4 because of the micro SIM slot on the phone. When I ask them if I can't just cut down the regular T-Mobile SIM, I get no response. Surely this would work, wouldn't it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    883
    Carriers
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0

    Nexus 4 with Straight Talk T-Mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by olc View Post
    Straight Talk insists I have to go with AT&T on the Nexus 4 because of the micro SIM slot on the phone. When I ask them if I can't just cut down the regular T-Mobile SIM, I get no response. Surely this would work, wouldn't it?
    Yes, of course it will. Don't believe ST customer service. They often lie, but more often, they simply don't know. They don't get enough training most likely.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    80
    Feedback Score
    0
    I would use T-Mobile because you will get faster data speed if in a HSPA+42 area and when they activate their LTE it will be compatible with the nexus 4. I'm using my nexus 4 on att Sim right now but I am going to be switching to the T-Mobile Sim when my service is due.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    267
    Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    0

    Nexus 4 with Straight Talk T-Mobile

    Coverage = AT&T

    Speed = T-Mobile

    Yes, for some of you the opposite is true. This is the general rule.


    Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    HP Envy 14
    iPhone 5 16GB

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    3,266
    Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by drivethrurecfan View Post
    I would use T-Mobile because you will get faster data speed if in a HSPA+42 area and when they activate their LTE it will be compatible with the nexus 4. I'm using my nexus 4 on att Sim right now but I am going to be switching to the T-Mobile Sim when my service is due.
    I just got confirmation from Google Play my 16GB Nexus 4 has shipped with UPS Tracking, I bought a sim puncher off eBay, AT&T sim, T-MO's signal in my locations has a lot to be desired. Is there any deviation of the APN compare to ST standard APN settings.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    954
    Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you use Google Voice, you want the AT&T SIM as T-mobile's prepaid SIMs do not allow conditional call forwarding.
    Nexus 5 rooted with ST AT&T LTE SIM & full Google Voice integration

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    597
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    If you use Google Voice, you want the AT&T SIM as T-mobile's prepaid SIMs do not allow conditional call forwarding.
    With the right T-Mobile MVNO you can get call forwarding. I use it with Google voice now.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    B'More & Warshington
    Posts
    1,162
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

    Re: Nexus 4 with Straight Talk T-Mobile

    Quote Originally Posted by olc View Post
    Straight Talk insists I have to go with AT&T on the Nexus 4 because of the micro SIM slot on the phone. When I ask them if I can't just cut down the regular T-Mobile SIM, I get no response. Surely this would work, wouldn't it?
    I'm using the Straight Talk T-Mobile SIM in my Nexus 4 and haven't had any problems but way faster data lol. I used a SIM cutter off Amazon to covert the SIM. My advice is to keep the scraps in case you need them. Oh, and be REALLY careful cutting the SIM, I almost nicked the readable part of it (I don't remember what it's called).

    Quote Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
    If you use Google Voice, you want the AT&T SIM as T-mobile's prepaid SIMs do not allow conditional call forwarding.
    True, but if people are calling your Google Voice number instead of your "real" phone number then conditional call forwarding is a non-issue.
    nex·us [nek-suhs]
    noun, plural nex·us·es, nex·us.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,263
    Phone
    Atrix/Skyrocket/R455C/Samsung Jack
    Carrier
    GoPhone LTE
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    Is there any deviation of the APN compare to ST standard APN settings.
    there would be no reason for the settings to be differnet. so they really do ship those things!!!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    456
    Phones
    Nexus 4 / Z Ultra
    Nexus 4
    Z Ultra
    Carrier
    Straight Talk (AT&T)
    Feedback Score
    0
    If you have a fairly steady hand, using a free template and scissors/xacto type knife is fairly easy. I cut down a TMO sim and finished it off with GF's nail file... The contact area is large enough to allow for a decent margin of error, so don't be too paranoid (I was and breathed a huge sigh of relief when it worked). Just make sure to err on the side of it being too large after the first cut, then trim it down from there. +1 for Going with TMO if the coverage works for you. I switched from the tmo sim to att and my speeds were halved; though I will say real world speeds for what I do seem to be the same.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    152
    Feedback Score
    0
    I too got a launch date N4 and used an Ebay sim punch with no issues.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    3,266
    Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alphamale-b View Post
    there would be no reason for the settings to be differnet. so they really do ship those things!!!!!
    Yep, mine's is in KY right now, 2nd day delivery is 3 day to Hawaii

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    106
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    I just got confirmation from Google Play my 16GB Nexus 4 has shipped with UPS Tracking, I bought a sim puncher off eBay, AT&T sim, T-MO's signal in my locations has a lot to be desired. Is there any deviation of the APN compare to ST standard APN settings.
    I bought mine 27 minutes after you bought yours. I hope that means mine is close to shipping too. There was a change made to the date in Google Wallet a couple of days ago, with no explantion, and I hope that doesn't indicate some issue with my order. But who knows how many were sold between our two order times?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    3,266
    Phone
    SM-N900A Samsung SGH-I337
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olc View Post
    I bought mine 27 minutes after you bought yours. I hope that means mine is close to shipping too. There was a change made to the date in Google Wallet a couple of days ago, with no explantion, and I hope that doesn't indicate some issue with my order. But who knows how many were sold between our two order times?
    I think you're inline next, I had the same situation, the pending charge in my CC appeared, then dissapeared several times, Google Wallet's date changed several time. I called CS Friday morning to inquire, was informed that pending charged meant making sure there's still funds in the account. IDK if it has any bearing that my order got elevated because sooner than later, I got this email.
    Your's is on the way, I hope.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    106
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio View Post
    I think you're inline next, I had the same situation, the pending charge in my CC appeared, then dissapeared several times, Google Wallet's date changed several time. I called CS Friday morning to inquire, was informed that pending charged meant making sure there's still funds in the account. IDK if it has any bearing that my order got elevated because sooner than later, I got this email.
    Your's is on the way, I hope.
    No CC hold yet/ The date in Google Wallet changed from 11/27 to 12/6 for no apparent reason. It's stunning how much Google has botched this whole release. Trying to get useful ifo from their Device support is useless. They need to acquire a company that does this - sell physical items online.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone with Galaxy Note with Straight Talk T-Mobile?
    By grayson73 in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 09:02 PM
  2. Question about using a T-Mobile Sim with Straight Talk
    By ejaygrant in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
  3. Virgin mobile - Lg Optimus V - with straight talk?
    By eighty3rd in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 12:51 PM
  4. STraight talk/virgin mobile
    By thejerm28 in forum Page Plus Cellular
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 02:56 PM
  5. Use tracfone phone with straight talk?
    By magicmafiaman in forum Straight Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks