Thread: Clean ESN same as unlocked for PP?

Feedback Score

Clean ESN same as unlocked for PP?

I was hoping someone could give me some piece of mind. I bought a used Droid 3 on mobilekarma.com for use on PP. It is advertised as having a clean ESN. But what concerns me is they also advertise unlocked phones for Verizon. I guess I'm not sure what the difference is. Will I need an unlocked phone to bring to PP? I always thought that as long as it has a clean ESN I would be fine for PagePlus.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    Yes, a clean ESN is all you need. The term "unlocked" applies to GSM phones. I have a Droid 3, you'll enjoy it. Everything works once activated on PP.

Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    To clarify it just a bit more, Verizon sells some handsets that they call "Global" phone, this means that they are equipped with both GSM and CDMA radios, the Droid3 I believe is one of those. As long as the ESN is clear (and Mobil Karma checks ESNs with the carriers before selling), the phone can be used with Page Plus.

If it were unlocked you could also use it with T-Mobile or AT&T by inserting one of their SIM cards into it.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for both your replies. I've asked Mobil Karma for the phone's ESN number just so I can verify with PP.
    Marty, in reference to your reply, did 3G work fine with PP for your Droid 3 or did you have to go through contortions to get it to work? The reason I ask is because I read a thread in this forum that someone couldn't get 3G to work with the phone. Also, do you recommend rooting and a custom rom for this phone, or is it good as-is?

Thanks!
    Karen

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carrier
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    All functions worked immediately without jumping through any hoops. It is the 4G phones (Bionic, Razr) that have all the difficulty. Just do a simply activation with PP. Of course you will probably want to make data settings adjustments, add some worthwhile apps, etc. but nothing you really have to do. Yes, I would recommend rooting so you can use programs like Titanium Backup to "freeze" and/or remove that pesky "crapware". It is entirely optional however.