Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Say Hello to my Little Friend: Our review of the HTC Windows Phone 8s

Name:  IMG_3592.JPG
Views: 10528
Size:  97.2 KB
    Hot on the heels of the sexiest phone on the market; the HTC Windows Phone 8X is it’s smaller sibling, the 8S.

Like the 8X, the 8S is quite a looker. It’s easily one of the best looking phones on the market. I’m sure HTC will sell a lot of these just based on how it looks. It’s minimalist, expensive looking and original. All at the same time.

Name:  IMG_3534.JPG
Views: 10596
Size:  94.1 KB

Physically, it looks and feels just like a smaller version 8x. The only difference is the 8s has the bottom snaps off to reveal the MicroSD and MicroSIM slots, just like on the HTC Titan and Titan II. Also, the ‘edges’ of the 8s are a little more rounded than the 8x. It makes the 8s shape more organic and comfortable to hold.

While it shares the same software as the 8X, the 8S is a more affordable device and thus it’s specifications differ slightly.

The 8S displays measure 4” with a resolution of 800x480 compared with a 4.3” and 1280x720 on the 8X.

Under the hood they both have dual-core Qualcomm chips with Krait cores. The 8X’s are clocked at 1.5Ghz while the 8S run at 1Ghz. The 8X has 1GB of RAM while the 8S has 512MB RAM.

You can get the 8X with either 8GB or 16GB of non-expandable storage while the 8S has 4GB which can be expanded via microSD cards. This is a big difference; if you want an HTC Windows Phone 8 and need a lot of space, then the 8S is your only choice since it takes microSD cards while the 8X doesn’t.

Located on the back is a 5MP camera which shoots 720p video while the 8X’s snaps 8MP images and shoots 1080p video. The 8S camera has a viewing angle of 35mm (on a 35mm film camera) with an aperture of f/2.8 compared to the 8X is around 28mm with an aperture of f/2.0.

Finally, the 8S has a 1700mAh battery while the 8X’s is 1800mAh.

Like the 8x, the 8s has an insanely loud headphone amp. You’ll need headphones that can handle a lot of power to listen to it at maximum (and a hearing aid if you do this too often).

Display:

Name:  IMG_3535.JPG
Views: 10447
Size:  88.1 KBName:  IMG_3558.JPG
Views: 10363
Size:  83.7 KBName:  IMG_3559.JPG
Views: 10316
Size:  47.5 KBName:  IMG_3565.JPG
Views: 10216
Size:  29.6 KB

The 8s display is a Super LCD while the 8x is a Super LCD 2. Looking at them side-by-side, both look pretty nice. Both exhibit colour shift though their shifting characteristic are different. It’s hard to say which one is better, it depends on what angle and what colour you’re comparing them at. At extreme angles, white is more true on the 8s.

Straight on, the 8s’ black levels aren’t as good as the 8x plus they have a slight purple tinge (like the Blackberry Playbook). That’s not to say that 8x blacks are outstanding (they’re not). I also noticed that the 8s display gets slightly ‘shimmery’ when you go off-angle. The 8x does this too which makes me wonder if Super LCD is a nice way to say STN.

I find that the 8s display is more saturated, while I’m not sure which one has better colour, I prefer how things look on the 8s.

It hasn’t been very sunny around here lately so I wasn’t able to compare the 8s and 8x outside in direct sunlight.

Overall, I wrote a lot about the 2 displays but really I’m splitting hairs here. Both are fantastic displays.

As far as the resolution goes, 800x480 on a 4” is adequate. When I use the 8s, the only time I occasionally notice the lower resolution is when I’m browsing the web and zoom out. Internet Explorer has a terrible habit of sometimes rendering text too small so that it’s illegible. I should point out that it’s not much better on the 8x which has a much higher resolution screen.

One benefit that a smaller display brings is that the 8s is much easier to use with one hand than the 8x and it’s 4.3” display or the 920/4.5” or ATIV-S/4.8”.

Here’s how I look at it: I normally I have an iPhone 5 and an Android phone (usually a Galaxy S III) with me. When I’m walking around, I prefer to use my iPhone. When I’m standing still I like my Galaxy S III.

Name:  comparison.2cpt.jpg
Views: 10271
Size:  61.8 KB
    left to right: HTC 8x, 8s

Anyways, the only real time I notice the lower resolution is when I’m zoomed out viewing a webpage. When I'm zoomed out, sometimes text can look a little ragged.

Name:  IMG_3572.JPG
Views: 10171
Size:  77.6 KB

I noticed that the display would show waves when I pressed the home button. It’s not a big deal but it doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence either. Look at the 2 boxes in the middle to see what I mean.

Name:  IMG_3585.JPG
Views: 9965
Size:  53.8 KB
    micro USB (microSD and SIM are located behind the light blue cover)

Name:  IMG_3587.JPG
Views: 9889
Size:  28.8 KB
    volume buttons, power

Name:  IMG_3583.JPG
Views: 9885
Size:  41.9 KB
    headphone jack, power button

Name:  IMG_3586.JPG
Views: 9795
Size:  32.8 KB
    left side

Name:  IMG_3579.JPG
Views: 9828
Size:  52.3 KB
    camera, flash, speakers

Camera:

As I mentioned earlier, the 8s camera is much more ‘zoomed in’ than the 8x. This isn’t necessarily a good or bad thing. A lot of the time I find the 8x camera is too wide. With the 8x, you have to move in really close to take portraits plus it captures a lot of background which can make photos confusing. At the same time, a wide angle is great if you want to capture a lot and can’t move further away. It’s a personal preference.

Personally, I think wide angles are more versatile but overall they take less interesting pictures (I’m generalizing a lot here).

You get a 5MP camera compared with 8MP on the 8x. Besides the resolution, I also noticed that the 8x sensor is a little cleaner looking.
    If you plan on using a front-facing camera, skip the 8s. It lacks this feature.

The 8s runs Microsoft’s camera software which is a big weakness. While the MS software can take decent pictures, it focuses too slowly and has very slow shot-to-shot times. Overall, while there are a few bright spots, I’m not a fan of the interface either.

I like how when you make changes to settings, you can choose to have them reset when you leave the camera or set them as default. Other then that, I find the interface slow and inefficient.

Software:

Since the 8s runs Windows Phone 8, it looks and runs just like the HTC 8x, Nokia Lumia 920, etc. I already covered Windows Phone 8 in those reviews so check them out.

One thing I’ll say is that Windows Phone 8 has one of the best keyboards out there. It works really well on the 8s’ 4” display.

Since all Windows Phone 8 run the same software and Microsoft doesn’t allow them much latitude when it comes to customizing, the only way OEMS can differentiate their product is by making exclusive software available for their phones in the windows Phone marketplace. Like the 8x, there is hardly any HTC exclusive software in the marketplace which makes me question how seriously they value the platform. Out of the box, the 8s lacks voice-guided navigation (so does the 8x).

Looking at the Marketplace, the only new HTC software I see is ‘Make More Space’.

Performance:

While they share the same processor cores, the 7s isclocked at 1Ghz and paired with 512MB of RAM vs 1.5Ghz and 1GB on the 8x. I was very curious if lower resolution display would offset the slower processor.

SunSpider (lower is better).

HTC Windows Phone 8x: 904.7
    HTC Windows Phone 8s: 1412.4

The 8x is clocked 50% higher than the 8s but its Sunspider score is more than 50% higher so the 8x’s extra memory may be coming into play here.

Peacekeeper (higher is better):

HTC Windows Phone 8x: 345
    HTC Windows Phone 8s: 192

Peacekeeper is a HTML 5 test that runs in any compatible browser. While it can be used to compare different platforms, I’m just interested in comparing the 8s and 8x.

Surprisingly, the 8s and it’s lower resolution display trail the 8x by nearly 80%. What’s even more surprising is that Peacekeeper includes a graphics component which should benefit the 8s. Perhaps the extra RAM is playing a role here?

WP Bench GPU (frames):

HTC Windows Phone 8x: 1109
    HTC Windows Phone 8s: 1504

WP Bench GPU (frames second):

HTC Windows Phone 8x: 33
    HTC Windows Phone 8s: 50

I couldn’t really find any intensive 3D gaming benchmarks in the Windows Phone marketplace so I used WP Bench. Specifically, it contains a sub test that draws rectangles on the screen.

Apparently, the 8s has an Adreno 305 GPU while the 8x sports an Adreno 225. I’m not sure what the differences are between the test but here the 8s beats the 8x. The difference is actually greater than the stated scores because Windows Phone has a 60fps cap. The 8x is able to hit the cap for only about 20% of the test at which point performance falls steadily. The 8s is able to max out the cap for around 50% of the test so the difference in their scores would be even greater if there was no cap.

So while the 8s has less processing power than the 8x, the difference in performance for their GPUs is a different story.

As a Phone:

Maximum earpiece volume is about the same as my iPhone 5 so it’s quite good.

The 8s lacks LTE. I tested the 8x and 8s simultaneously on HSPA and found that the 8s was slightly more sensitive.

Incoming sound quality was slightly rough but otherwise good.

Battery Life:

I still have to run my battery life tests on the 8s. I’ll update this section once I’ve done so.

Conclusion:

Name:  IMG_3568.JPG
Views: 9761
Size:  88.5 KB

I love the design of the 8s. Now you can have the style and feel of the 8x for a lot less money. Besides that, I struggled a bit with the 8s. Yes, it’s a less expensive device but I wondered if HTC had removed too much from it to get hit its price point. In a way, besides the design I didn’t really find the 8s had any surprises.

Right now, the 8s is a $279.99 CAN phone on Virgin Mobile which is $79.99 on a SuperTab. Looking around at their lineup, the 8s doesn’t really have any competitors. Most phones are either priced higher or lower.

Name:  IMG_3550.JPG
Views: 9757
Size:  88.3 KB

In the end, buying a phone can be a very emotional purchase and that’s the 8s really shines. I just love the design, shape and feel.

Name:  IMG_3569.JPG
Views: 9672
Size:  70.6 KB

Pros:

• loud headphone amp
    • beautiful design
    • display
    • loud earpiece
    • microSD slot

Cons:

• no front-facing camera
    • very little HTC software
    • waves visible on screen when home button is pressed

New Infinity Blade character

My iPhone 5 ringtone: Bah, Bah, Black Sheep.

Our reviews:

ZTE Open| Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Apple iPhone 5c | Apple iPhone 5s | LG G2 | Samsung Galaxy Note 3 in pictures | Samsung Galaxy Mega | 2013 Nexus 7 | Cel-Fi Signal Booster | Huawei Ascend Y300 | Motorola Moto X | Blackberry Q5 | Motorola Moto X | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" | Belkin NetCam HD | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" | Belkin WeMo Switch | Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1" | Nexus 7 2012 vs 2013 | Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 | MugenPower GS4 Battery | Huawei Ascend Y210 | Huawei B890 Router | Nokia Lumia 520 | Blackberry Q10 | ZTE F160 | Samsung Galaxy S4 | HTC One | Sony Xperia ZL | Nokia Lumia 620 | Samsung ATIV-S | Blackberry Z10 | Samsung Galaxy Camera | Reflections on 2012 | HTC Windows Phone 8s | Samsung Rugby LTE | Huawei D Quad XL | Google Nexus 4 | Apple iPad Mini | HTC One X+ | HTC Windows Phone 8X | Nokia Lumia 920 | Sony Xperia T | Parrot Zik | LG Optimus G | Samsung Galaxy Note II | Motorola DEFY PRO | Motorola RAZR HD LTE | From iOS to Android | Apple iPhone 5 | HoFo at the CWTS coverage | Rogers LTE Rocket Hub ZTE MF28B | Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 launch | Motorola RAZR V | Motorola ATRIX HD LTE | Back to School Guide | HTC One V | Huawei Ascend P1 | Sony Xperia ION | Nokia Lumia 610 | Nexus 7 | LG Optimus L7 | HTC Titan II | Sony Xperia U | OtterBox Commuter for HTC One X | Samsung Galaxy S III | HTC One S | Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE | Nokia Lumia 900 | HTC One X | Apple iPad 3 | Sony Xperia S | Samsung Galaxy Note | Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 | Nokia Lumia 710 | Blackberry Playbook OS 2.0 | Casemate Pop for Galaxy Nexus | Otterbox Commuter for Galaxy Nexus | Otterbox Defender for Galaxy Nexus | Nokia Lumia 800 | Motorola Pro+ | Blackberry Curve 9360 | Asus Transformer Prime | Galaxy S Glide | Blackberry Bold 9790 | Nokia N9 | 2011 Gift Guide | HTC Amaze 4G | Acer ICONIA Tab A501 | LG Optimus LTE | Case Mate TANK | Samsung Galaxy S II LTE | Motorola RAZR | Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    •waves visible on screen when home button is pressed ... in 2012 ...

Little question ... no nokia drive or maps on this phone ? for navigation or maps ?

Thanks for the review

Just bad there are not others colors on virgin :

Name:  HTC8SA620E-15.jpg
Views: 10301
Size:  86.4 KB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Others questions ... in the setting menu ... is easily to configure APN ? you configure all ... apn mms ? Thanks

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You get maps. It lacks navigation

Quote Originally Posted by cedqc418 View Post
    •waves visible on screen when home button is pressed ... in 2012 ...

Little question ... no nokia drive or maps on this phone ? for navigation or maps ?
    The option to add new APN's is present in:

settings -> mobile network

Others questions ... in the setting menu ... is easily to configure APN ? you configure all ... apn mms ? Thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by howard View Post
    You get maps. It lacks navigation

The option to add new APN's is present in:

settings -> mobile network

Have mms setting ? or just to add an apn ?

Carrier
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    It has the mms setting

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks... just in case i see a nice offer in the coming week ;p

Feedback Score
    Thanks... just in case i see a nice offer in the coming week ;p
    Those settings are native to WP8, so any WP8 phone will have that ability to change APN settings.

Carrier
    Wind Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineHarvest View Post
    Those settings are native to WP8, so any WP8 phone will have that ability to change APN settings.
    Not quite. Nokia Lumia 810 lacks the APN settings button ( I guess T-Mobile chose to hide it )

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    i ask because nokia lack on wp7 and i see different story on wp8... like the nokia 810

Phones
    Nokia Lumia 920
    Nexus 4
    Nokia Lumia 900
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Love the size and design of this phone, and I've been looking for a copy, but I'm in the States, where it seems my only option is an unlocked version with the wrong 3G bands. I've heard this Virgin version might be unlocked. Any insight into that?

Feedback Score
    I don't know... the plastic case, and the bright colors... get to me, and not in a good way. I just compared this to the HTC Droid DNA and the DNA is more solid. But, I need something on AT&T's 4GLTE. I am in the U.S. (New York) and need speed, most of all, for sending large graphics files.

Carrier
    Straight Talk
    Feedback Score
    you never popped the bottom off of the Titan, the whole backplate came off. Also, neither the Titan or the Titan II had microSD slots (that were user accessible)

Feedback Score
    How does this phone compare to the iphone 5?

Backup Your Phone, Files, Photos, Music, Video Online For FREE.
    Ask me for a link

Carriers
    WIND Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Can you please update the battery life section?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast