Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Purchased a blacklisted phone. Anything I can do to get it working?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Where did you buy it from?

Theres really nothing you can do to get the phone unblacklisted unfortunately. You can search this forum, theres been threads of users in similar position to yours.

Feedback Score
    The only thing that you could do is to take it to a different carrier. As of right now, AT&T is not sharing their block list with other carriers. This will be changing in 2013, but at least it would work until that change.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Purchased a blacklisted phone. Anything I can do to get it working?

Not true.

Att and tmobile are currently sharing database.

I know for a fact on one Att iphone 4s my aunt bought from Craigslist has been blocked and will not work on both Att or tmobile.

So yes they are sharing database.... And she got ripped off from CL

Feedback Score
    I did not get the memo. I just checked and AT&T is now sharing this info as of November 1st, 2012. Thanks for correcting me here.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by derek2079 View Post
    I purchased a blacklisted phone. Samsung Galaxy SII. Is there anything I can do to get it working?
    If it were possible to by-pass the blacklist, it would pretty much negate it's utility. There are pros and cons - the only con I can think of is that users will need to be very careful when they buy a used phone. Which will greatly impact the secondary market.

On the other hand, it will no longer be "finders, keepers" if someone loses a phone or has one stolen since the phones can now be reported and black listed. Or if someone thinks they can skip out on a carrier without paying their bill and just take the phone elsewhere, that will no longer be possible. I wish it had been in effect a year and a half ago when my brother lost his almost brand new iPhone -- he returned to the store he had lost it in within 15 minutes but it was long gone.

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score

Purchased a blacklisted phone. Anything I can do to get it working?

Where did you get it from? If Ebay, See if you can get a refund.

Carrier
    GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
    If it were possible to by-pass the blacklist, it would pretty much negate it's utility. There are pros and cons - the only con I can think of is that users will need to be very careful when they buy a used phone. Which will greatly impact the secondary market.

On the other hand, it will no longer be "finders, keepers" if someone loses a phone or has one stolen since the phones can now be reported and black listed. Or if someone thinks they can skip out on a carrier without paying their bill and just take the phone elsewhere, that will no longer be possible. I wish it had been in effect a year and a half ago when my brother lost his almost brand new iPhone -- he returned to the store he had lost it in within 15 minutes but it was long gone.
    Hardly any of this is actually, remotely based in logic. Here's how it actually plays out, and you'll see it's a win-win for carriers, and a mostly lose-lose for consumers.

First, sure people who actually lose their phones or have them stolen can prevent the phone from at least being used. Doesn't really help them in getting their phone back but I guess it's nice to know a person who has it can't use it.

So, what this does is really opens the door for people to fraduently claim a phone as lost/stolen and get it replaced through insurance policies. They sell a phone, I can check it works, and leave on my merry way. They call it in tomorrow or whenever as stolen and my phone isn't working. They get sent a replacement - so they aren't out anything and made some cash off your purchase. You get an expensive mp3 player. This is fraud clearly, but do you think it's easy to find/prosecute such a person?

So, what this does is makes people who are trying to do honest business leery. The guy selling his phone used legitmately is unable to find many buyers because they don't want to risk wasting money on a blaclisted phone. He loses out on better resale. Buyers are going to not be bothered wasting time and money purchasing a phone they can't use and possibly deal with the small potential of being in posession of a 'stolen' phone.

So, the carrier wins in 2 ways. They get to look like they are fighting crime and coming down on stolen phones or lost ones. They're helping the little guy, but you don't get anything from them. If you didn't purchase insurance, ATT isn't going to give you a new phone if your old one is blacklisted. They also win because people will not want to risk purchasing a used phone and will instead buy new from them and/or sign a 2 year contract.

You lose as a consumer - you won't be able to buy or sell as easily with used phones. You can only know a brand new phone will 100% work. You won't get anything of value when you report it lost - just the satisfaction of knowing nobody else can use it too I suppose.

I'm sorry your boyfriend had stuff stolen. I've had electronics stolen before, although I've never left them somewhere. This won't reduce theft. People have been stealing for all of recorded history, I don't see it ending anytime soon. This isn't a proactive move to help combat overall theft, just a reactive move to bolster the carriers.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Now as far as blacklisted phones, how can you tell a phone is blacklisted at the point of sale? As if I was purchasing one from a vendor on Craigslist, does the phone just not work if you put a SIM card in?

Carrier
    AT&T GoPhone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joedaark View Post
    Now as far as blacklisted phones, how can you tell a phone is blacklisted at the point of sale? As if I was purchasing one from a vendor on Craigslist, does the phone just not work if you put a SIM card in?
    Thats not a conclusive check unfortunately. Its possible for the seller to report it as lost or stolen after the sale and then like a week later the phone is blacklisted. Buyer beware when purchasing from Craigslist.

Phones
    Treo 750
    CU500
    Carrier
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I guess you just have to buy phones from people you trust. Family.

I've never sold a phone. Either kept until obsolete, or gave to family.
    iPhone 5. Nexus available in case of emergency. iPad 3 LTE.

Feedback Score
    If you bought it at Ebay.. check the listing and, if the seller did not disclosed that reality (blacklist) then.. you are entitled to a refund via Paypal. It happened once to me... Paypal instruct me to return the phone and then they returned me my money

Carrier
    Cingulatt
    Feedback Score
    Does a blacklisted GSM phone show some kind of message when the sim is inserted and the phone is trying to connect to the network? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Re: Purchased a blacklisted phone. Anything I can do to get it working?

It was constantly say SEARCHING FOR NETWORK, and will never connect

Phone
    After trying many phones, the one phone that is worthy of this spot is the 6620!!
    Feedback Score
    Verizon and sprint have a blacklist too so why aren't they having the same issues? Or do they have the same issues but it's just not posted about any more?

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ivwshane View Post
    Verizon and sprint have a blacklist too so why aren't they having the same issues? Or do they have the same issues but it's just not posted about any more?
    Don't forget that Verizon will not activate a Sprint device on their network and vice versa.
    If I'm annoyed and you're annoyed, does that make us a paranoid ??

Sarcasm is a fine art...

"Don't believe everything you think"

It's not a matter of if you win or lose, it's how you assign the blame

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast