Thread: OFFICIAL: Samsung S380C CDMA

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sweeper View Post
    No, this is not a 3G phone.
    Ouch. The high rate without the added speed.

Sent a pic shortly after I had data access and was charged.5.775 minutes on top of the 1.0 minutes for initiation on a pic that was 393KB.
    3.93 * 1.5 = 5.895

5.775 / 1.5 = 3.85 (385KB)

Maybe the file size was off a bit or something was stripped?

What do parameters 106 and 206 (BW Scale) show?

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Samsung Flight -Girlfriend
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    106:
    BW=ACT R=1.5

AT:352.2050
    BW Scale:100
    T-Mobile’s new marketing campaign for Vermont and Western New Hampshire:
    “Try T-Mobile’s blazingly fast GPRS data network. We’re faster than iDEN and TDMA combined!”

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    So, the same structure as the 3G phones.

Still no update on the web site http://www.tracfone.com/data_svs/price_chart.jsp
    I'll wager no change in the printed documentation with the phone either.

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score

Re: OFFICIAL: Samsung S380C CDMA

There is indeed mention of the higher data rates in the material that came with the phone.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using HowardForums

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    There is indeed mention of the higher data rates in the material that came with the phone.
    Can you post a picture/scan of that documentation?

Feedback Score
    Sweeper, are you able to post a copy of the printed material showing the data rates?

How do you like the phone? Initial impressions?

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    This is all that is listed in the book.

Here are a few notes so far on my s380C.

The right soft key is the browser button and there is no ay to reassign the button or to disable the browser. A fail on Tracfone’s part, in my opinion. There is a lock screen key on the bottom left side of the keyboard that will instantly lock the screen to prevent “accidental” pressing of the browser soft key.

Anyone who buys the phone will probably want a gel case or a snap on case. The phone is a little slick in the hand and can easily slip out of your hand, if you’re not careful.

Opera mini 7 has been installed with no problems (I used the one that was presented to me when I accessed m.opera.com). No “intrusted app” errors.

Keyboard is very nice and offers great feedback compared to the 501C.

Bluetooth is open. I snapped a pic with the 380C and was able to transfer it off the phone to my Galaxy S2 and then right back to the 380C. Makes sense since there is a microSD card slot in the phone.

Screen is on par with the original Freeform, or 355C.

Camera is decent for a 1.3MP but would love to have flash.

These net 2 things may be problems with my phone only:

While having the native browser open (it does work very well), I tried to access Facebook with the preprogrammed web link and my phone restarted almost instantly, and every time I would try to access Facebook. No other preprogrammed web link would cause the restart, only Facebook.

Battery life has raised a yellow flag. Phone had a full charge on Wednesday afternoon at 3:30 PM and when I “woke up” the phone at 11AM the following morning, I had 2 bars of battery left. Now, I do know that a new battery has a “breaking in” period, so I am hoping that is the cause of the bad battery life right now. Obviously, I will stay on top of it and if it does not improve, I will see what they will do about the situation. Bluetooth was not active during that time, either.

Over all, this is a fantastic phone, and I would recommend it far more than I would the 501C and way more than the 505C. The 501C was too compact, and the 505C is just too expensive. The only difference I can see between the 505C and the 380C is the touch screen on the 505C and that in no way is worth $40 more than the 380C

Feedback Score
    The only difference I can see between the 505C and the 380C is the touch screen on the 505C and that in no way is worth $40 more than the 380C
    Another difference is that the LG 505C charges the old, lower rates for data and MMS, and the S380C charges the higher rates for MMS and data. Depending on picture size it can be 5 - 15 times the charge for sending/receiving on the old rates. I'm not finding fault. I'm just pointing it out so people aren't surprised or disappointed.

This data rate issue probably only affects current Tracfone users. New customers wouldn't know that there ever was a cheaper rate.

Feedback Score
    Here are a few notes so far on my s380C ... Over all, this is a fantastic phone, and I would recommend it far more than I would the 501C and way more than the 505C. The 501C was too compact, and the 505C is just too expensive.
    How is voice quality, for those who primarily make calls and don't text or send pictures much, or go online.

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    How is voice quality, for those who primarily make calls and don't text or send pictures much, or go online.
    You've got the wrong guy for that. I'm deaf.

Feedback Score
    You've got the wrong guy for that. I'm deaf.
    Oh sorry Sweeper. I did know that, I just wasn't thinking.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    The right soft key is the browser button and there is no ay to reassign the button or to disable the browser. A fail on Tracfone’s part, in my opinion.

Fail is a bit harsh given that every TF with web capability to date (save the touchscreens) have had that same issue. So it's now a know fault in the TF UI, and it doesn't appear they will ever fix it.

How difficult is it to get the phone to dial emergency numbers (911, etc) when locked?
    That has been a common complain lately on other TFs, particularly the S390G.

Phones
    Lg G2X (Me)
    Nokia 2720 - Mom
    Carriers
    T-Mobile Monthly
    T-Mobile FlexPay
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Fail is a bit harsh given that every TF with web capability to date (save the touchscreens) have had that same issue. So it's now a know fault in the TF UI, and it doesn't appear they will ever fix it.

How difficult is it to get the phone to dial emergency numbers (911, etc) when locked?
    That has been a common complain lately on other TFs, particularly the S390G.
    You can dial 911 with the keypad locked. After inputting 911, “Emergency” appears over the send key.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    You can dial 911 with the keypad locked. After inputting 911, “Emergency” appears over the send key.
    So, 4 key presses. What about time limits between key presses though?

Say you bump the 9, how soon after do you have to hit the 1 before it starts over?

Of course, on other phones people have complained that the timeouts don't always apply or something like that, thus it far to easy to dial when locked.

(I have also seen reports of unintended unlocking leading to calls and browser activation)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by annepani View Post
    The Samsung S380C CDMA is now available for sale on the tracfone website. Price is $50 including shipping.

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdir...list=true&AID=
    I tried to order using this link. After filling in all the information, a pop up appeared asking if I really wanted to override the zip code. I clicked on "OK". Then it took me back to the Tracfone homepage. So, I have no idea if the order went through or not.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast