Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola General Discussion Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    I disagree, under Jha Motorola had updates pushed to everything but lower end phones. I jumped ship to Motorola because of the heralded battery life and every time I turned around one of their phones was being updated. The only two phones that weren't low end that didn't get updates were the Droid 3 and the Droid X 2. This is not to say that they aren't doing a fine nob under Punit Soni though

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    If you feel that releasing a phone with a version of android that is one version behind what it should be released with and then updating it to that version a good 7-8 months after the phone is released followed by no more updates. Yes there sure were a lot of updates when you had phones being released every few months. I feel having fewer phones that are updated to the latest version during their lifetime is important. The lifetime of the phone should be at least two years from release as that is length most people who are on contract have the phone for.

Feedback Score
    We can continue to have this discussion but imho this being off-topic.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Re: Motorola's been pretty quiet...

I believe it's definitely on-topic.

Might not be belt-high center-of-the-plate, but IMO it's clearly in the strike zone. If the concern is that Moto's quiet, then why it's quiet is topical.

The question of what Moto is bringing to the table is relatively broad. IF it is only planning to offer two vzw units in 2013, then why that's so becomes an intriguing question deserving of examination – in that same context. The market factors influencing the decision are certainly to the point; ditto Google's role.

Then, are the burden of frequent software updates and Google's desire to control Android fragmentation and keep tc mits' handset more au courant Android-wise two factors in that reorientation?

For example, do we know if this is all about Moto reducing, rather drastically, its offerings? Or, could it be more about a Moto-vzw realignment? If the latter, is vzw's reticence induced by an unwillingness to meet a Google timetable for KLP review and revision?

On a 2 strike count, you gotta swing at that one.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 01-04-2013 at 05:54 AM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by xbernaut View Post
    Moto only has 2 devices slated to hit the VZW market for 2013. Kinda scary that there is only 2 devices lined up to make it to consumers this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    Oh, btw, do you have a source for that piece of intel?
    I'd like to see a source for that as well. Were you referring to the Xphone and Xtablet? I could almost assure you that VZW doesn't get them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xbernaut View Post
    Moto only has 2 devices slated to hit the VZW market for 2013. Kinda scary that there is only 2 devices lined up to make it to consumers this year.
    I thought it was 3, and that is just VZW (depending on how it finalizes VZW won't have the better phone).

Feedback Score
    because Google wants to unlock Moto bootloaders.
    Where do you get that idea?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    I'd like to see a source for that as well. Were you referring to the Xphone and Xtablet? I could almost assure you that VZW doesn't get them.

My source? Ask any mod hear, my sources are facts right from the creators.
    If I speak it, then it is true as others can vouch for my credit.
    Moto Razr

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Susurro View Post
    I thought it was 3, and that is just VZW (depending on how it finalizes VZW won't have the better phone).
    That doesn't sound good. The part about VZW having something clearly different than everyone else. Regardless of whether it's better or worse. For the marketing to catch everyone needs the SAME thing like iPhone/Galaxy S3/N2.

I think a lot of people credit Samsung's products themselves as the primary reason for their success, but it's really the consistent marketing across networks I am quite sure. I actually think an SII sold as a plane jane SII on every network without uniqueness of any sort, rather than slightly rebranded would have made it much more popular than it ended up being. The S1 derivatives probably didn't have the hype to do really well generally, but probably would have done a tad bit better as Galaxy S's everywhere.

I hope this unique device for different networks thing is just old Moto stuff lingering a bit. It hurts ability to easily market in general and increases costs also.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Indeed, the S3 is outshining the RAZRs all, even if it wasn't – idk the numbers – outselling them,

Where do you get that idea?
    Just fouling off an unhitable strike.

But … there was the Moto developer phone announcement some months back. And — isn't Google /Android about open - whatever - like the og Droid and 700C regs? Or is Google backing away from that stuff now?

So, if Moto won't be doing vzw's flagships, the cutback could it be more about a Moto-vzw realignment, right? And – speculating – is vzw's reticence not, in part at least, likely induced by an unwillingness to meet a Google timetable for KLP review and revision on multiple devices?

Feedback Score
    So, if Moto won't be doing vzw's flagships, the cutback could it be more about a Moto-vzw realignment, right? And – speculating – is vzw's reticence not, in part at least, likely induced by an unwillingness to meet a Google timetable for KLP review and revision on multiple devices?
    I didn't take this to mean they wouldn't do VZW flagship so much as whatever it is VZW is trying to get is unique and may not end up as nice as whatever device it is Goog is pushing for as their more broad recovery device to go up against Samsung and Apple better.

Basically kinda more like what happened with SII where VZW ended up SKIPPING it for the GNexus exclusive. But probably a bit different and more VZW wanting a device they define that will end up hitting in similar timeframe to some nice device they are going to refuse basically cause they had already asked for this other lesser one that is probably more some upgrade to one of the Droid RAZR's VZW devices rather than a whole new device.

Device(s)
    Samsung U430 (fully functioinal bluetooth)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    That doesn't sound good. The part about VZW having something clearly different than everyone else. Regardless of whether it's better or worse. For the marketing to catch everyone needs the SAME thing like iPhone/Galaxy S3/N2.

I think a lot of people credit Samsung's products themselves as the primary reason for their success, but it's really the consistent marketing across networks I am quite sure.
    +1. Easy to see to me: Apple, Samsung succeeding with above, Moto and HTC not.

Btw, Bionic working great.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Me three.

Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    I didn't take this to mean they wouldn't do VZW flagship so much as whatever it is VZW is trying to get is unique and may not end up as nice as whatever device it is Goog is pushing for as their more broad recovery device to go up against Samsung and Apple better.

Basically kinda more like what happened with SII where VZW ended up SKIPPING it for the GNexus exclusive. But probably a bit different and more VZW wanting a device they define that will end up hitting in similar timeframe to some nice device they are going to refuse basically cause they had already asked for this other lesser one that is probably more some upgrade to one of the Droid RAZR's VZW devices rather than a whole new device.
    Well, OK, but, in English semantics, by not getting the "better" of the two, either vzw gets its flagship elsewhere or it gets a less than 'best' flagship.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 01-05-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveanderson13 View Post
    +1. Easy to see to me: Apple, Samsung succeeding with above, Moto and HTC not.

Btw, Bionic working great.

Yeah. And it's not time to market as the One devices made it to market with SIII level specs for the most part a good few months earlier, but were randomly branded from one network to next without the exact same version hitting on more than maybe 2 networks. If the One had hit as a highly premium version only(no S, X, and V from the getgo) and on 3 or 4 networks it would have hurt the S3 WAY more than it did. But no, each network got some slightly varied version ruining anyone noticing some new device line hitting every network. They weren't even able to get some networks to use the One name, even though they got One derivative devices.

It would take something wild and unique to pull off anything like the first iPhone's or the OG Droid now and I just don't see anyone doing such a thing. It would have to be a very risky device that doesn't follow the standard "slate" trend. And it would have to be done REALLY well. So......I think a lot of effort needs to be made at doing a very good device and expending EVERY resource possible into making sure it hits on all networks. I actually think you could stun Samsung by introducing a device in a similar timeframe to the S4, but making it hit on EVERY US network first and LONG before the S4 probably will since it will probably go the international first after initial announcement and then USA a few months down the road. This should be Moto's focus as they have all but given up on all the best foreign markets, other than China, which probably needs somewhat separate devices and marketing pushes anyhow.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Maybe an all-band WP9 i86 phablet capable of running some legacy Windows apps natively (unported) and sporting a Surface Pro style removable keyboard-cover would be "wild and unique" enough to pull it off. Or a flagship grade Moto 'Droid 5" HD' that really is the patent drawing slider.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 01-06-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Feedback Score
    Indeed, the S3 is outshining the RAZRs all, even if it wasn't – idk the numbers – outselling them,
    Remember, you are comparing the S3 on all carriers vs RAZR on VZW... and VZW only cares about what sells at VZW.
    And the RAZR is actually selling very, very well at VZW. It is either number 1 or number 2 right now.

Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 54 ... LastLast