Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorola General Discussion Thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Susurro View Post
    Remember, you are comparing the S3 on all carriers vs RAZR on VZW... and VZW only cares about what sells at VZW.
    And the RAZR is actually selling very, very well at VZW. It is either number 1 or number 2 right now.
    OG RAZR, RAZR HD or all of them together?? Moto is well branded among VZW subscribers still anyhow I think, but that's the only network where people even know they are still in business almost. If I were Moto I would abandon VZW from a give them whatever they want perspective with my next big device. Target the best device you can do, put as much cash as possible toward advertising it by killing development and resource allocation for the myriad of random junk they usually have in the pipe, and tell the networks take it or leave it, but make sure version compatible with all networks are ready on day one and exploit the Open Dev thing with VZW while selling unlocked to the rest. Sprint will probably take it if the push is right regardless.

Device(s)
    Droid Maxx & LG Clout
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    X phone to show up at CES in Vegas rumor.
    This should be a clue to Google's intentions with Moto for the future. Can't wait to see what they bring. Hope it's true.
    My credit card is waiting as I suspect it will be worth the wait for the latest and greatest from Googerola.

http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/mobil...ts.htm?pgno=16

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Re: Motorola's been pretty quiet...

Interesting the total lack of any tidbit details whatsoever about this "X-phone".

Remember, you are comparing the S3 on all carriers vs RAZR on VZW... and VZW only cares about what sells at VZW.
    And the RAZR is actually selling very, very well at VZW. It is either number 1 or number 2 right now.
    No. I acknowledged ignorance of the sales figures. My point was image, "outshining", luster – not outselling – and that cachet advantage the S3 holds over the entire RAZR ensemble, not just 'the RAZR'. Agreed that what sells best on vzw is more about vzw preferences than those of its customers.

Your reply missed the context clues from Jasaero's post that I was responding to:

Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    That doesn't sound good. The part about VZW having something clearly different than everyone else. Regardless of whether it's better or worse. For the marketing to catch everyone needs the SAME thing like iPhone/Galaxy S3/N2.

I think a lot of people credit Samsung's products themselves as the primary reason for their success, but it's really the consistent marketing across networks I am quite sure. I actually think an SII sold as a plane jane SII on every network without uniqueness of any sort, rather than slightly rebranded would have made it much more popular than it ended up being. The S1 derivatives probably didn't have the hype to do really well generally, but probably would have done a tad bit better as Galaxy S's everywhere.

I hope this unique device for different networks thing is just old Moto stuff lingering a bit. It hurts ability to easily market in general and increases costs also.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 01-06-2013 at 07:11 PM.
    Learning Android root on my SGSIII while waiting for Ubuntu Phone OS.

The Borg has assimilated US: Supreme Court Blocks Ban on Corporate Political Spending ~ "Resistance is futile."

Perspective instantiates reality.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasaero View Post
    If I were Moto I would abandon VZW from a give them whatever they want perspective with my next big device.
    So you give up the one strategy that has kept you in business and produced good sales numbers? And doing that while remembering that Verizon is the number one LTE carrier in the world and if you give them the phone they want, they will market it and make sure it sells.
    Or maybe you would decide to keep giving Verizon what they want and than do the broad launch with another phone?

Quote Originally Posted by TC_Mits View Post
    No. I acknowledged ignorance of the sales figures. My point was image, "outshining", luster – not outselling – and that cachet advantage the S3 holds over the entire RAZR ensemble, not just 'the RAZR'. Agreed that what sells best on vzw is more about vzw preferences than those of its customers.
    Definitely agree the S3 has a huge advantage in "luster" or PR over the RAZR HD phones. It isn't close. The RAZR and more the RAZR MAXX had it, but the RAZR HD doesn't have that "it" thing does it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sfukr View Post
    X phone to show up at CES in Vegas rumor.
    This should be a clue to Google's intentions with Moto for the future. Can't wait to see what they bring. Hope it's true.
    My credit card is waiting as I suspect it will be worth the wait for the latest and greatest from Googerola.

http://www.crn.com/slide-shows/mobil...ts.htm?pgno=16
    Obviously not. Motorola didn't even have a booth on the show floor, CRN should have known that.

Feedback Score
    So you give up the one strategy that has kept you in business and produced good sales numbers? And doing that while remembering that Verizon is the number one LTE carrier in the world and if you give them the phone they want, they will market it and make sure it sells.
    Or maybe you would decide to keep giving Verizon what they want and than do the broad launch with another phone?

Definitely agree the S3 has a huge advantage in "luster" or PR over the RAZR HD phones. It isn't close. The RAZR and more the RAZR MAXX had it, but the RAZR HD doesn't have that "it" thing does it.
    I said "from a give them whatever they want perspective". Some random "Droid" phone they market for you does NOTHING to excite all the customers who refuse to goto Verizon.

A LOT of the the "luster" and PR is derived from the fact they made clear it would be available on ALL big carriers early on. If I were Moto I would make a "luster" worthy device and make a version for every carrier and say they would be available on launch day for every carrier to create the "luster". Let the carriers try and block them at their own peril and be very transparent about carriers trying to block a compatible device you built for their carrier if they attempted to. Basically go rogue and let the carriers refuse subsidy or the device all together at risk of losing the customers that want it. Use confidence rather that EXTREME WEAKNESS and PATHETICISM.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

+1. The SGSIII pretty much sold itself by having pretty much everything for everybody:

2gig RAM, quad-core, SD, HD non-PenTile, large std battery, JB update, FM radio, NFC, full feature camera, multi-band & global, unlockable bootloaders — etc. etc.

"That's how you do it."

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

SGSIII is pentile....

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

Roger. That was corrected on the Note II. My error. But the point that Samsung succeeded by covering all the bases holds, anyway.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 01-11-2013 at 04:54 AM.

Feedback Score
    Basically, what I think HTC and Moto and others that let the carriers decide what device is offered on their network do is let the carriers thief, at the peril of the OEM, the OEM's ability to create a brand identity. You can't market a product effectively if you aren't allowed complete control of it's definition. You can sell it, but you can't "MARKET" it. It turns you into a supplier, RATHER than a brand holding OEM. Suppliers not only have very limited control on marketing, but also very limited control on prices their products can garner. Branding and Marketing includes MANY MANY MANY things beyond the ad campaigns and most stuff people associate with them. Particularly when you are talking products that aren't complete commodities with very little concern over quality or feature set and such.

Device(s)
    Droid 1 and X, RAZR, Rezound, Maxx HD,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon,
    Feedback Score
    The GS3 has an FM Radio.... I might get one just for that...lol. Moto, please bring back the FM Radio, thanks.

Carrier(s)
    vzw [UL data]
    Feedback Score

If you're stuck on a metered data plan, you can run out of streaming mbs easily enough. Broadcast FM would be a very practical alternative for folks who don't have GBs of mp3s stored on the SD card.

Then there's Friday night HS football …

That's my point; Sammy didn't just pack the mainstream features and pare away the marginal stuff that some might at. Sammy put in something for everybody … and – guess what – everybody likes it.

What a novel marketing strategy that is! …Lol. But, hey! It's working.

Me, I'd like IR for a TV remote app.
    Last edited by TC_Mits; 01-11-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Device(s)
    DROID X, iPhone 3G (...Prepaid AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I miss the FM radio that my old droid x had. I thought it was a feature that Google removed from android since you don't hear about it as much anymore.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Speaking of radios...I am very interested to know why Motorola is still supporting VZW's attempts to limit interoperability of compatible devices on domestic US carriers. This practice has been shown to be in breach of the 700mhz upper C block regulations and has also been discontinued by other OEMs who have released devices with completely open radios for both global and US GSM/WCDMA services.

Motorola continues to release devices with radios that are locked for use on US GSM carriers despite the chip sets being fully capable of supporting the required bands for those carriers. I am not referring to LTE band interoperability, which is still a hardware issue with filtering EMI on current generation chip sets.

What gives?
    I almost never ask questions of this nature from Susurro, but I would really love any insight you might be able to provide.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by kbman View Post
    Speaking of radios...I am very interested to know why Motorola is still supporting VZW's attempts to limit interoperability of compatible devices on domestic US carriers.
    Mostly likely because they are the manufacturer and VZW is the carrier?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using HowardForums

Page 5 of 64 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 55 ... LastLast