Thread: Which Prepaid phone for WiFi and hot spot?

Feedback Score

Which Prepaid phone for WiFi and hot spot?

This is going to be way to much info.

Currently I use an old HTC 8525 with the $30/month 5 gigs data and 100 minutes talk. I pay another $15-20/month to use my phone as a WiFi hot spot. I live in the country so 3g with some form of tethering is the only game in town other then dial up.

I like this set up so much I bought another couple of HTCs just in case my work horse phone bites the dust. The HTC is an old Windows Mobile, probably at least 4 years old, that I am using WMWare WiFiRouter to connect with. I can even use the back up phone with this set up to browse the web.

It's the kind of news everyone should hear: My GF's father wants to buy me a new cell phone for Xmas. I looked at the phones on the prepaid plans T-Mobile offers and most cost too much to stick the old man for. They had a couple that were <$100 but I need to know if they will function. I can't go back to dial up. I don't want to lose WiFi hot spot as it is worth it to me to have several tablets and computers connected at the same time.

What I am fishing for is info on which is the lowest price phone that does AP and tethering? Would I be better off just committing to one of the contract plans with a discounted phone? I've seen a couple of GSM Chinese Import phones on fleabay for ~$50 but haven't seen any info on them working with T-Mobile or as a WiFi hot spot. T-Mobile still has their great deal on SIM cards, like $.99 a shot so I wouldn't mind going that way. Matter of fact, that is how I got my current HTC running.

Maybe I should just ask him for a prepaid card and forget changing.

Rick

Phones
    Optimus T
    Optimus T
    G1
    Carrier
    T-Mobile prepaid
    Feedback Score
    I'd rather have a used eBay phone that has a good third-party ROM community rather than a new cheap phone that hasn't been hacked on much yet.

The same $50 can get you an eBay Optimus T (android) or similar. It does TMO tethering/hotspot out of the box, IIRC. Slap your SIM in and go.

Or If you want to get around the $20/mo use a third-party tethering app or flash CynogenMod 7.x on there which does tether/hotspot natively. Some folks eventually get sniffed out; I ran CM tether/hotspot for months with out any problem before I went back to PAYGO.
    Inspire 4G: CM7 official, 16gb sdhc. TMO PAYG (no data)
    My android page

Carriers
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score

Re: Which Prepaid phone for WiFi and hot spot?

Pda Net is the only tethering app that works for me with USB.

Fox Fi and the native hotspot app worked for two weeks then I was directed to the "buy" hotspot page on Tmobile.com.

Feedback Score
    I forgot does Tmobile allow tethering with their $30/mo 4 gig plan? If they detect too much many Windows updates will they flag your account?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, exactly what I needed to know. I will probably just ask him to buy me some form of fill up card and get a used phone.

JW, they didn't seem to mind tethering to a single computer. They seemed to get real upset and block me when I had two Windows based computers and an Android tablet attached with the phone as a WiFi hotspot w/o paying the fees. I upgraded my service for the ~$15/month AP, something like up to five computers maximum, and no problems since. For me it is worth it to move files around rather then constantly plugging in thumb drives and printers.

Rick

Carriers
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score

The Pda app has a "hide tether use" option that escapes tethering detection and that is why i'm able to continue to use it with Tmobile and not be asked to buy a separate Hotspot option which isn't even an option with prepaid from what I see.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gate115 View Post
    The Pda app has a "hide tether use" option that escapes tethering detection and that is why i'm able to continue to use it with Tmobile and not be asked to buy a separate Hotspot option which isn't even an option with prepaid from what I see.
    What happened was.

I don't know what prepaid plan you have of course. It has been to long for me to remember all the details. I think what happened was my son gave me the HTC someone had discarded after he rooted it for me.

Sequence went something like: I bought their $.99 or $.00 SIM card from their web site. I flopped around trying to find a reasonable prepaid plan but trouble with their web site sunk me. I finally talked to a sales drone and was quoted some stuff I didn't need or want i.e. $80/month for unlimited everything but data. I threw a fit because they had a plan on a billboard on my drive home and they wouldn't give it to me. On the phone the sales drone said ~limited time offer, 5 gigs data and 100 minutes talk $30. Not sure if everyone here had heard about it and I was the last to know. That is the plan I opted for. Probably used it for a month or two with USB and Ad Hoc WiFi. That was when I finally hooked everything through it and they got upset. I went back to talking to a sales drone and they pointed me to the $15/month AP fee. There was much rejoicing in the kingdom. They seem to have ways to put you onto things you can't normally see from their web site.

All this may be pointless. As long as your application works, all is good. Specifically my deal now seems to be grandfathered in. IMO it may be worth a half hour on hold so you can throw something on the wall and see what sticks. Nothing in my plan was available from common sources like the web site or advertising.

Carrier
    Tmobile Pay As You Go
    Feedback Score
    Another option is the Comet. I have a Comet which supports wifi thether out of the box. I just tested it on the 3 daily plan and worked fine. Not sure if it works on other plans

Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    actually we figured out t-mobile blocks pc browsers when your data use gets close to your data cap and starts with the buy a hotspot nag screen theirs lots of ways around it. it all resets the next month anyways and has no effect on android devices.

Carriers
    AT&T Go Phone
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by luther349 View Post
    actually we figured out t-mobile blocks pc browsers when your data use gets close to your data cap and starts with the buy a hotspot nag screen theirs lots of ways around it. it all resets the next month anyways and has no effect on android devices.
    can you elaborate on the ways around this, and what has no effect on Androids? Thanks

Carrier
    t-mobile
    Feedback Score
    they block it by the user agent so eg if it shows up as ie they know its from a pc. you can use agent switching plugins to say its something else and get around it. downside is it probably will try to load mobile sites.