Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: LG 840g not connecting to wi-fi?

Feedback Score

Question LG 840g not connecting to wi-fi?

Has anyone else had difficulty getting it to connect to wi-fi? Phone is activated and wi-fi is turned on. It will recognize the router but when I put in the security code it tries to connect and then gives the message "fail to connect". I spoke to someone at TF customer service but they seemed pretty much stumped. After 10 min of grasping at straws I had to give up and go pick up my kid :-) Saw a post elsewhere that said they were initially having trouble and then turned off the Sleep mode and it worked then, but I also tried that to no avail. Would love it if someone had an answer to share.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demarskda View Post
    Has anyone else had difficulty getting it to connect to wi-fi? Phone is activated and wi-fi is turned on. It will recognize the router but when I put in the security code it tries to connect and then gives the message "fail to connect".
    Just a thought. Check the password/security code. Does it begin with a letter or number? The LG 840 automatically capitalizes the first letter of the field. Passwords are case-sensitive so if the security code begins with a letter it will reject. You have to change it from Abc to abc.

Later, after morning coffee: Okay, scratch that. I just tried it on my LG 840 and for this particular password field the LG 840 does not automatically capitalize the first letter.
    Last edited by annepani; 12-15-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Try pulling the battery with the phone on to force it to reinitialize (turning off first saves some settings that you want to reset).

It has worked to clkear wi-fi issues with other TFs, like the S390G.

Feedback Score
    Thanks, tried both of those, no go. Guess I will give it another round with Customer Service when I have a free hour.

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demarskda View Post
    Guess I will give it another round with Customer Service when I have a free hour.
    Try Miami, as they are better than the other reps, but I wouldn't expect much from them either

Feedback Score
    Same problem!
    I'm using a D-Link DI-524 Router with WPA2/PSK security. It will sometimes connect after many attempts. As a test, I turned off the wi-fi security on the router and phone and it would connect every time.
    I tried the same with a different router (WN513N2 using WPA2/AES) with the same result.
    I tried WEP security with the same results.
    So far, it looks like the 840g may have issues with wi-fi security.

It will eventually connect so I know the settings are correct and the phone was only 3' from the routers and showing a strong signal.

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    The WiFi for the LG 840 is one of the big reasons I am thinking about getting that phone, but if it doesn't work whats the point? Is this WiFi issue widespread or just certain situations?
    Blogging enthusiast at TracfoneReviewer: A blog with cell phone reviews, money saving tips and Tracfone Promo Codes!

Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by InternPete View Post
    The WiFi for the LG 840 is one of the big reasons I am thinking about getting that phone, but if it doesn't work whats the point? Is this WiFi issue widespread or just certain situations?
    I'm connecting without any problems:
    Turn on wi-fi,
    Choose my router,
    Enter my WPA2-Personal security code,
    Done!

Sorry, no suggestions for your connection problems.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by arny56 View Post
    I'm connecting without any problems:
    1 - Turn on wi-fi; 2 - Choose my router; 3 - Enter my WPA2-Personal security code; 4 - Done!
    Sorry, no suggestions for your connection problems.
    What brand is your router?

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Good to know it is not an across the board problem, but more info about this would be interesting.

Feedback Score
    Wi-Fi is also working for me on 2 different routers with no problems (also using WPA2-Personal security). I'm using an Asus RT-N12 and Apple Airport Express Base Station for Wi-Fi access.

Feedback Score
    Well, I have some success. Got it to connect to my home router (WPA2) [wouldn't you know, user error] and it connects to unsecured networks. But I still cannot get it connected at work (WEP) and I know I am using the right password. The good news is that it works well when connected :-) I thought it should connect using any type of encryption, but maybe not? Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    It should. The network at work may have other access controls. Check with the IT guys.

Also, try the battery again. My S390G will occasionally not connect somewhere and pulling the battery resolves the problems (for a while at least). Lats time was at a restaurant, and the time before that was at an airport.

Feedback Score
    ST Dog,

In these cases where pulling the battery fixed the connection issue, had you tried turning the phone off then back on to see if that fixed the problem before pulling the battery?

I wonder what happens differently in the phone between pulling the battery and turning the phone off/on?

I have an unactivated LG840G which sometimes won't connect to my router, but power cycling the router seems to fix that while power cycling the LG840G does not seem to help. I'll have to try pulling the LG840G battery next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    Also, try the battery again. My S390G will occasionally not connect somewhere and pulling the battery resolves the problems (for a while at least). ......
    Cheers!

Phone
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    In these cases where pulling the battery fixed the connection issue, had you tried turning the phone off then back on to see if that fixed the problem before pulling the battery?
    Tried yes. Sometimes it works turning off and on. Pulling the battery works more often, so I usually don't bother with the switch anymore.

The difference is when you turn it off, it stores some state info that it doesn't get to store if you pull the battery. Similar to logging out of windows vs rebooting.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast