Thread: Phones says LTE but no network connection?

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score

Phones says LTE but no network connection?

Tonight I was sitting in a large sports arena for a concert. I tried browsing Facebook before the show started but it never would get a connection on my iPhone 5. The phone never showed less than 3, and usually 4 signal bars, with the LTE icon showing. However I could not connect to anything. Even Speedtest couldn't connect to run the testing.

I tried turning off LTE, which made the icon change to 4G but still nothing. Could it have been the fact that so many people were in one place and probably most of them using cell data thru the closest tower?
    iPhone 5 32GB Black, iOS 7.0.4 stock
    Week 43 3GS 16GB Black, iOS 5.1.1 stock, preserved 05.13.04 BB

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid 2
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Could it have been the fact that so many people were in one place and probably most of them using cell data thru the closest tower?
    And Bingo was his name-o.

Bars indicate your phone can "see" the site. But if the site is overloaded, the bars are useless. This is nothing new for AT&T, although I didn't anticipate their LTE network would fall as well.
    I'm just a twenty-something year old college graduate speaking geek on HoFo!

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Tonight I was sitting in a large sports arena for a concert. I tried browsing Facebook before the show started but it never would get a connection on my iPhone 5. The phone never showed less than 3, and usually 4 signal bars, with the LTE icon showing. However I could not connect to anything. Even Speedtest couldn't connect to run the testing.

I tried turning off LTE, which made the icon change to 4G but still nothing. Could it have been the fact that so many people were in one place and probably most of them using cell data thru the closest tower?
    Exactly, there are just so many people on the same cell site it overloads. I've seen this on 3G, but never experienced it on 4G, even in crowded NYC's Time Square.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Even if I turned off LTE so that the 4G icon appeared, still couldn't get on or do anything requiring a network connection.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid 2
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Even if I turned off LTE so that the 4G icon appeared, still couldn't get on or do anything requiring a network connection.
    Right. Basically the site says "I can see you, you can see me, but I have no time to deal with you at the moment...I am doing 64,158 other things".

Additional sites or an in-arena DAS would greatly help.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Does AT&T have any resources for us to report instances like this?

Phones
    N/A
    Droid 2 Global
    LG VX9800 "The V" (backup)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless;
    Feedback Score

Re: Phones says LTE but no network connection?

Or the dreaded "network optimization". Usually this is viedwed only as a negative -- throttling -- but fiddling with packet order a bit can allow a link that would suffer from congestion collapse (making data simply not work) to continue providing (admittedly slow) data to people. Of course the ultimate solution is more of everything as Trocks says, DAS and/or more sites 8-)

Sent from my SCH-I405 using HowardForums

Phone
    iPhone 3GS 16GB Black
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    n/m I reported it using the Mark The Spot app.

Feedback Score
    n/m I reported it using the Mark The Spot app.
    I've been told by a tech support rep that this system is in place to basically make the customer feel like they are doing something. They claimed that the app does nothing, while submitting a trouble ticket actually does go somewhere.

Not sure if this is entirely true, but I could see this being the case.

Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Goelz83 View Post
    I've been told by a tech support rep that this system is in place to basically make the customer feel like they are doing something. They claimed that the app does nothing, while submitting a trouble ticket actually does go somewhere.

Not sure if this is entirely true, but I could see this being the case.
    I would bet this is true, whenever I have service issues the first thing I do is call and open a trouble ticket. They've actually improved coverage because of my complaints as well.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    No ****, this happened to me! I called in to complain and was told that there were no reported outages in that area. I said that's because users in that area can't call in, the site is on fire and all the TV stations were filming it!
    Today a group of leading venture capitalists published an open letter to the FCC calling on them to prevent what they say would be the end of net neutrality and a crippling blow to young startups.
    No Google, say it ain't (or wouldn't of been ) so! ATT and Verizon would have killed their own cash cow.

Phones
    Galaxy Nexus
    Galaxy Nexus
    Motorola Droid 2
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CA View Post
    No ****, this happened to me! I called in to complain and was told that there were no reported outages in that area. I said that's because users in that area can't call in, the site is on fire and all the TV stations were filming it!
    OK this is great! I LOL'd!

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Trocks797 View Post
    OK this is great! I LOL'd!
    There were about 10 people in the office when I called (speakerphone), and did they howl! But that brings on a new dynamic. Lets say you are driving in rush hour and want to burn some minutes but can't, making all those touchy fealy commercials turn into turds, and can't call in. By the time you get home you've forgotten why you hate carriers. Carrier then says "We did good, none of those pesky peons gave us grief today".