Thread: LG 840G music files

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

LG 840G music files

I have music files on PC as .mp3 under iTunes ripped from CDs.

I copied a couple of folders using usb cable to phone memory card Audio. Each folder is one Album including cover.jpg and mp3 files for each song.

The music player can see and play the mp3 files, but knows nothing about them, meaning it shows Album as unknown, Artist as Unknown, etc. As a result I cannot list songs by any of these parameters, I just get a list of All Songs sorted alphabetically.

Anybody know how to get this the player to understand this info. I cannot edit it manually (and don't really want to!)

thanks

Feedback Score
    The problem here is your mp3 files do not contain the metadata of the songs artwork, album, and artist tags. In order for the LG840G to display the metadata, your mp3 files must contain this information. I don't believe there is a way for the phone display the information unless it is in each mp3 song. Attached is a screenshot of my LG840G displaying the metadata from a mp3 song.
    Name:  LG840G.jpg
Views: 6868
Size:  351.7 KB

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Hi, I agree with zombie_h. You can add your own "tags" to the mp3 files while they are on your PC. I don't use taggers, but since I like to rip my own videos, I went to the Video help site ( www.videohelp.com )and looked up mp3 tagging. Seems as tho Mp3tag 2.53 is one that people like, tho your mileage may vary. As with all software you have to be wary if the program tries to install some malware or 3rd party stuff as you install it.

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

pretty sure I have mp3 tags

thanks zombie_h and zoonie4howard,

what you said made a lot of sense even though I had never thought about mp3 metadata.
    After learning a bit, I am pretty sure that I do have the tags in my mp3 files.
    In itunes, if I do Get Info, the data shows up, in win7 file explorer it shows the artist, album, etc.
    but I download mp3tag to make sure and it shows it as well. I even deleted the tags (from a copy of the file)
    using mp3tag and then windows doesn't show artist, etc. and the file got smaller.

I tried to attach (I am not trusted yet, so I couldn't) a screenshot from mp3tag on a file I actually
    transferred back from the 840G via usb to make
    sure that it was the same file as in the phone. It even showed the cover art. Any ideas why the music
    player in the phone doesn't like this?

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

screen shot of mp3tag

Name:  tags.jpg
Views: 3548
Size:  114.3 KB

Here it is, guess I am trusted now! Thanks again for looking at this.

Feedback Score
    Your screenshot doesn't show the album art, but assuming it is there (the scroll bar is at the top), I'm not sure why the metadata is not showing. I have the same program Mp3tag, but it is a slightly earlier version 2.50 and I noticed my tags are ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3). It could be that your tag shows ID3v2.2 (ID3v2.2) and maybe the phone has trouble reading that tag version in your MP3. Does anybody else here have an idea?

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by zombie_h View Post
    Your screenshot doesn't show the album art, but assuming it is there (the scroll bar is at the top), I'm not sure why the metadata is not showing. I have the same program Mp3tag, but it is a slightly earlier version 2.50 and I noticed my tags are ID3v2.3 (ID3v1 ID3v2.3). It could be that your tag shows ID3v2.2 (ID3v2.2) and maybe the phone has trouble reading that tag version in your MP3. Does anybody else here have an idea?
    Thank you zombie_h!!! (yes album art was there)

That was it. The music player doesn't like the old version tags. I ripped these CDs back in 2007.

I used copy/paste in mp3tag to update the tags to the newer version on one song and now that works. Now I have to figure out how to do that in some sort of batch job. Anyone with any ideas on that, please let me know.

{update} mp3tag will do the batch job. I right-clicked on itunes library folder in Windows Explorer, selected mp3tag (this was an install option) and it read in all mp3 files in all subfolders.
    I then did select all (ctr-A) in mp3tag and then clicked save, which then wrote out updated tags to all mp3 files. Very nice.

Hopefully, if anyone has this problem in the future they will find this thread before spending a lot of time looking elsewhere. This is a great resource. Thank you Howard!!
    Last edited by mv fluke; 12-22-2012 at 07:03 PM. Reason: batch job found