Thread: Call quality using GrooVe IP, TalkaTone, NetTalk, etc on a smartphone

Carriers
    Cricket GSM (this month)
    Feedback Score

Call quality using GrooVe IP, TalkaTone, NetTalk, etc on a smartphone

I've seen articles about using VOIP apps on a smartphone when connected to wifi to save on voice minutes. But is the call quality anywhere as good as using the normal cell tower? I'd like to know before I get a prepaid plan with low voice minutes.
    My smartphone is a lot smarter than I am.

Feedback Score
    I'm currently testing out text+ for free texting and fongo for free calling. Both provide unique telephone numbers and can text or call (respectively) landlines and cell phones in Canada and the US.

The call quality of most of these apps will actually be better because its something called 'wide-band'. Which means its a wider frequency band, so you more bass and high end.

Some cell phone support wide band over GDSM but most cell phone companies don't YET. But they will eventually.

Where the VoIP over iPhone apps can suffer is reliability (more dropped calls) and delay. Both of which will always be worse on a slower connections. My most recent tests have been satisfactory and I am considering dropping my cell plan altogether. That's why I signed up. I need someone to take my sweet Rogers accnt.

Cheers.

Feedback Score

Re: Call quality using GrooVe IP, TalkaTone, NetTalk, etc on a smartphone

All my calls are 100% VoIP even over 3g. I found using the right codec is key in slow connection. I'm relying on iLBC codec.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I tried Groove IP and Talkatone with very poor results. I have heard one can setup Sipdroid to route your Google Voice calls to your phone over data with decent quality but I have not tried it. For outgoing calls Bobsled and the Vonage Mobile App are excellent and free.

Carrier
    Ting
    Feedback Score
    My experience has been that it depends a lot on which phone you use. These apps work better on some phones than on others. Secondarily, it depends upon the quality of your internet service and the path to the gateway that the service provider uses.
    Questions?? Read the FAQs: The Prepaid FAQ . The Straight Talk FAQ
    Disagree with someone? Be Nice!
    Report posts that violate the rules by clicking the dark triangle at the bottom, left of the post.

I have blocked some Hofo users and so I don't see and won't respond to messages from them.