Question Moving apps to sd card on Note 2

Does any one know how to move apps to sd card with out rooting the Note 2

Carrier
    us cellular
    Feedback Score

Re: Moving apps to sd card on Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by parrish4 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't just like on my s3. The phone has plenty of memory to where it shouldn't be an issue. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

GALAXY S3
    fon frenzy

Carrier
    Us Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vin_mitchell View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't just like on my s3. The phone has plenty of memory to where it shouldn't be an issue. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

GALAXY S3
    Yeah it comes with 16gb internal memory but it shows only 11gb right from the get go. I installed two games and now, I only have 3gb left with a 32gb external card which I can't use.

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2 - Prior phones: HTC Hero S, 7 Pro, Desire, Touch Pro, several dumbphones
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    It is very possible to do this, but I don't know of any way that doesn't require root. Rooting the Note 2 is very easy though, see below. I just learned how to do it today as I was getting frustrated with this wonderful device being full despite having a Class 10 32 gig card in it.

First you'll need root. There are methods that involve Odin, but I didn't want to risk changing my flash count or go to that much hassle. I recommend Chainfire's method that uses the ExynosAbuse exploit by alephzain. It is extremely easy and doesn't even require a computer. Here's a link. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2050297

Second, use the app "Directory Bind." Grab the app here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1410262

To learn how to use the app, this guide helped me: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1889550

This method takes a little work but it is fairly easy and is way better than having a crippled device. Plus having root access is nice anyway. If these sources don't help I'd be glad to answer any questions about my experience with this method. Worked perfect for me - all I had to do was move a few big games in the Android/obb/ folder (not the whole obb folder as shown in the above guide) and I had 5 gigs of free space.

Phone
    Galaxy Note 2 - Prior phones: HTC Hero S, 7 Pro, Desire, Touch Pro, several dumbphones
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vin_mitchell View Post

GALAXY S3
    If you like games it's a huge issue. This phone is an absolute beast and can run any available game pretty much flawlessly. The catch is that the bigger games take up tons of space. I'm very glad I found a workaround that works (see my above post), or I would be a lot less thrilled with this phone.

Carrier
    Us Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply ropp29, but I'm not to sure about how rooting works.Do you still use the Jelly Bean OS as normal or does it change everything.Also can you update it when a newer OS comes out,and can you unroot it if you need to take it in to Us Cellular for repair work.

Phone
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply ropp29, but I'm not to sure about how rooting works.Do you still use the Jelly Bean OS as normal or does it change everything.Also can you update it when a newer OS comes out,and can you unroot it if you need to take it in to Us Cellular for repair work.
    Yes it retains the stock OS. it is not the same as flashing a 3rd party ROM. It also does not delete any of your files. All it does is give you more control over the phone. Chainfire's .apk I linked to has an option to unroot it too. Of the phones I have rooted it's by far the easiest, as long as this method is used. The methods that involve Odin are more complicated.

Carrier
    Us Cellular
    Feedback Score
    One last question,is your phone with Us Cellular and have you had any problems with your camera after rooting your phone.I did not see Us Cellular phone model in the compatible root list.

Phone
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    One last question,is your phone with Us Cellular and have you had any problems with your camera after rooting your phone.I did not see Us Cellular phone model in the compatible root list.
    Yeah I'm on US Cellular, and no, I have had no camera issues. The camera issues only come if you use that .apk to patch the Exynos vulnerability. If you only use it's root feature then there doesn't seem to be any interference with the camera.

Carrier
    Us Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Is the patch ExynosAbuse-v1.40.apk.You said the camera had issues with .apk,and how do you only use it's root feature.Sorry for all the question's just want to be right before patching a $800 phone.

Phone
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Is the patch ExynosAbuse-v1.40.apk.You said the camera had issues with .apk,and how do you only use it's root feature.Sorry for all the question's just want to be right before patching a $800 phone.
    No, what I'm saying is that the .apk gives you several choices once you install it and run it. One of those choices is to root the device. I have found no negative side effects at all and it does not interfere with the camera. What *does* interfere with the camera is if you install the .apk and then choose the option to patch the Exynos vulnerability. In other words it serves two completely different purposes and I only used the root feature, not the patch feature. And either is reversible from within the app once it is installed. I can't think of any way to permanently damage your device with it.

Edit: One more thing, you asked if it interferes with OTA updates. It does, but only in a sense. While it is rooted updates will not work, but all you have to do is open the ExynosAbuse app and unroot it temporarily (super super easy, just one click) so you can download the latest update and it works fine. The only difference is that you will have to check this or another website to find out when updates become available as the update service on the phone will not work until you unroot.
    Last edited by ropp29; 12-28-2012 at 08:40 PM.