Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LG840G - email Push setting with email icon button

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

Yahoo set up as POP3 or IMAP4

Quote Originally Posted by tfusr19 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

- Finally, I figured out that if I changed the incoming server type from IMAP4 to POP3, then the rebooting stopped. Problem with that is I cannot retrieve my yahoo email using POP3.

Is anyone else successfully able to retrieve their Yahoo email using IMAP4 on an LG840G?
    Hi tfuser19,

I am confused when you say you changed the type to POP3. When I entered my username@yahoo.com and password, the account was automatically set up as POP3. It downloaded my inbox even though I do not subscribe to Yahoo Plus (which I am pretty sure is normally required for POP3). Did your phone really set up the yahoo account as IMAP4?

I am transitioning my email to gmail and it seems to work OK on the 840G as IMAP4.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mv fluke View Post
    Hi tfuser19,

I am confused when you say you changed the type to POP3. When I entered my username@yahoo.com and password, the account was automatically set up as POP3. It downloaded my inbox even though I do not subscribe to Yahoo Plus (which I am pretty sure is normally required for POP3). Did your phone really set up the yahoo account as IMAP4?

I am transitioning my email to gmail and it seems to work OK on the 840G as IMAP4.
    mv fluke,
    When I setup initially setup my yahoo email account on the LG840G, the setup process defaults to the incoming server being POP3. Since I don't have yahoo plus (required to retrieve email using POP3, otherwise regular yahoo mail account holders have to use IMAP4), the email app failed to retrieve my email. I then changed the incoming server type to IMAP4 and server name to imap.mail.yahoo.com from pop.mail.yahoo.com, then the email app was able to retrieve my email.

After reading an email, if I continue to hit the back key to exit the email app, the press last press of the back key which would cause the email app to exit, instead causes the phone to reboot. After the phone rebooted, reading an email and try to exit the email app does the same reboot.
    Cheers!

Carrier
    TracFone
    Feedback Score

yahoo email imap setup

mv fluke,
    When I setup initially setup my yahoo email account on the LG840G, the setup process defaults to the incoming server being POP3. Since I don't have yahoo plus (required to retrieve email using POP3, otherwise regular yahoo mail account holders have to use IMAP4), the email app failed to retrieve my email.
    tfuser19,

I deleted my email account on the 840G and started over. I created my yahoo account and as expected, it created it as POP3. It also downloaded all the emails in my inbox. It left them on the server as well. I do NOT have yahoo plus (although I did at one time), but it did let me download via POP3. Don't know why.

I then started to change to IMAP4 to see if I could duplicate your problem. I changed the server name and also changed the port number to 993 to match the way Thunderbird on my PC is set up. This matches what I found in Yahoo help "Setting up IMAP on your mobile device" http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=...wAxHQOJvfqGn4-

When I completed this the 840G warned that it would delete all mail, so I cancelled the operation (didn't want to take a chance on it deleting from the server.) so I cannot duplicate your problem at this point.

Did you change the port number when you changed the server name? Not sure if that will make any difference. Good luck.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mv fluke View Post
    When I completed this the 840G warned that it would delete all mail, so I cancelled the operation (didn't want to take a chance on it deleting from the server.) so I cannot duplicate your problem at this point.
    I think it meant it would delete all the messages on the phone, not the server.

It makes sense as the inbox would become an IMAP cache instead of the POPed messages, and the phone doesn't know how to merge the existing messages with the new ones from IMAP. I'm not sure any email client handles a change like that much differently, though it's easier to copy he existing inbox so as not to loose any messages on the device.

I think the warning was incase you have the phone set to delete from server when retrieving via POP then the only copy of the messages would be on the phone. Of course it would be pretty stupid to have a low end phone be the only storage for email. I don't think I'd do that even with a high end android/iPhone.

Feedback Score
    mv fluke,
    Like ST Dog said, you won't lose any mail that's on server.

You could leave existing phone POP email setup alone and try adding a second setup just for IMAP test.

Feedback Score

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zoonie4howard View Post
    Not sure if I understand what the Push service is. If I don't turn it ON, then I don't receive email to my phone. I turn it ON each time and then turn it OFF when I close email and Wifi.
    Just to clarify, you don't have to have email pushed to receive it. Navigate to the inbox. Then from the menu at the top right, select UPDATE. This will sync your phone's inbox with the server's inbox.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Joe View Post
    Just to clarify, you don't have to have email pushed to receive it. Navigate to the inbox. Then from the menu at the top right, select UPDATE. This will sync your phone's inbox with the server's inbox.
    With my pop account i have to push On.

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    With my pop account i have to push On.
    You don't have the option to manually check mail using UPDATE?

Feedback Score
    You don't have the option to manually check mail using UPDATE?
    If you setup the phone email account with PUSH ON, you will not have the option to do a manual UPDATE, the server sends (pushes) email periodically to the phone as it receives new email.

If you setup the account with PUSH OFF, you have to delete and recreate it if you want PUSH ON.
    Last edited by tfusr19; 01-17-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Phone
    S390G LG500G T404G T301G V170
    Carrier
    TracFone (AT&T SIM)
    Feedback Score
    If you setup the phone email account with PUSH ON, you will not have the option to do a manual UPDATE, the server sends (pushes) email periodically to the phone as it receives new email.
    No, the server never sends anything. They just don't work that way.
    The phone has to ask for it.

It's pretty screwy if there's not a simple way to change the update options or to manually update between the auto updated. Not saying it's not true, just that it's very unusual.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
    No, the server never sends anything. They just don't work that way.
    The phone has to ask for it.

It's pretty screwy if there's not a simple way to change the update options or to manually update between the auto updated. Not saying it's not true, just that it's very unusual.
    According to link below, email is pushed to email clients, which include smartphones.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push_email

"Push email is used toribe email systems that provide an always-on capability, in which new email is actively transferred (pushed) as it arrives by the mail delivery agent (MDA) (commonly called mail server) to the mail user agent (MUA), also called the email client. Email clients include smartphones and, less strictly, IMAP personal computer mail applications."

Carrier
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

If you setup the account with PUSH OFF, you have to delete and recreate it if you want PUSH ON.
    That seems weird to me. One more reason not to turn on push.

Feedback Score
    That seems weird to me. One more reason not to turn on push.
    Push is not really bad if you have WiFi ........ try it. You don't have to keep hitting UPDATE, it's done for you.

If you have configured the account for PUSH:ON, you can disable getting pushes, and re-enable pushes from the menu, but you cannot force an update.

And you can also fairly easily switch between
    Access Point: WLAN (WiFi - free) and
    Access Point: TracfoneWAP ($$$ - charges units)

So what's weird about it?

Feedback Score
    zoonie4howard,
    Thanks for all the help!

To answer your question, Tracfone WAP = Tracfone wireless access point = using the cell phone network = $$$ = phone uses units for email.

If you want to check email for free, then in the email settings, Access Point should be set to WLAN = WiFi network = free (assuming you have WiFi available).

tfuser19 : I changed mine. Keep in mind I still don't know what a Tracfone Wap is supposed to be. .......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast